Canadian Applicant Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought they only accepted permanent US residents now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I thought internationals had to pay 30 dollars extra in the supplementary fee (which I did). Did I just get ripped off?

"Upon completion of the supplemental application, you will be directed to a secure online payment system to pay the institutional application fee using a debit or credit card. The application fee is nonrefundable and is not credited toward any charges when an accepted applicant registers as a student.

$75 application fee for domestic applicants (U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents)
$105 application fee for international applicants (non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents"

I thought internationals had to pay 30 dollars extra in the supplementary fee (which I did). Did I just get ripped off?

"Upon completion of the supplemental application, you will be directed to a secure online payment system to pay the institutional application fee using a debit or credit card. The application fee is nonrefundable and is not credited toward any charges when an accepted applicant registers as a student.

$75 application fee for domestic applicants (U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents)
$105 application fee for international applicants (non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents"

I'm probably wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
BU accepts Canadians. Last year they accepted around 30

Sorry!!!! My bad. I didn't apply because I was missing a pre-req., not because of international status. I just lumped Boston and Tufts together in my head

9k/year doesn't really cut it when the tuition and living expanses come to be 400k+. I know that banks give a maximum of 150k in total even with a co-signer. That together come out to be around 190k half of the required amount. Damn I hate how finance can deter people from receiving education and chasing there dreams. If anyone else know of other aids, please do share. It would be greatly appreciated.
Have you figured out any other way to finance your education abroad? Any piece of information can be very helpful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to UCONN, Rutgers, Virginia Com, and Texas A&M. Applicatons were "recieved" on July 15th and I still haven't heard anything from any of those schools. Anyone else feeling the same struggle right now?

I've applied to UCONN, Rutgers, Virginia Com, and Texas A&M. Applicatons were "recieved" on July 15th and I still haven't heard anything from any of those schools. Anyone else feeling the same struggle right now?

If you're a Canadian... Those aren't Canadian friendly schools my man.

If you're a Canadian... Those aren't Canadian friendly schools my man.

^This. Even if you got into those, you'll be 1 or 2 Canadians. Better to apply to real Canadian Friendly schools like NYU and UDM.

^This. Even if you got into those, you'll be 1 or 2 Canadians. Better to apply to real Canadian Friendly schools like NYU and UDM.

I was aware of that. I applied to those 4 and not the privates (like NYU, UDM, Boston) because the costs of attendance were too absurd. Wasn't too hung up on going to the US so I just applied to those 4 cheaper more publicly oriented schools. So you're saying that because they aren't canadian friendly, I might have to wait a while to even hear back for rejections/regrets?

I might have to wait a while to even hear back for rejections/regrets?

Yes. Also, they pretty much don't accept any "Canadians" unless you were born in those states but live in Canada (but even then it's very close to 0).

Same ....even tho they sent out invites today. I called them and they are apparently still reviewing.

My app was complete back in July, I feel like I've been reviewed already... oh well, let's keep our hopes up.

As a former Canadian student I can attest that schools are allowing less and less Canadian students in. It may be an indirect result of the Canadian dollar becoming weaker but nonetheless less students are matriculating. UDM and NYU as still great options for Canadian students.

As a former Canadian student I can attest that schools are allowing less and less Canadian students in. It may be an indirect result of the Canadian dollar becoming weaker but nonetheless less students are matriculating. UDM and NYU as still great options for Canadian students.
But whether we can pay or not is our problem. Shouldn't they still give us a chance ?

But whether we can pay or not is our problem. Shouldn't they still give us a chance ?
He/she means that it may just be that more Canadians are turning down US offers because of how expensive it is with the current conversion rate. Not that schools aren't accepting because of that

He/she means that it may just be that more Canadians are turning down US offers because of how expensive it is with the current conversion rate. Not that schools aren't accepting because of that
Ohhhh makes sense :)

So I was born in Winnipeg, but I grew up in the US (all of my schooling since kindergarten was stateside). I don't know how much dental schools look at that, but who knows! So far I have had an interview at Indiana and have one at Nova in January. I am really hoping for BU or NYU or Pacific though.

Anyone hear from Case, Buffalo, Temple? Mailed out app last week so hoping I get interviews post-Dec!

Anyone hear from Case, Buffalo, Temple? Mailed out app last week so hoping I get interviews post-Dec!

I have my Buffalo interview tomorrow, got a "continuing review" from Case, and nothing from Temple yet.

I mailed out July 1st and haven't heard anything from any of those (except for continued reviews from Case and Buffalo).

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Thought I'd join the party!
Haven't heard back from NYU, UDM or BU...I don't know why, I have interviews at state schools.
Anyone writing the cDAT in two weeks?

Haven't heard back from BU, I know it's weird. Who knows what their selection process is like.

Let's all hope for a bunch of post Dec interviews. I think our international status does have a large impact on this.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
That, plus many schools think we'd drop their acceptances if we got accepted into a Canadian school. That's why many ask during interviews if you've applied to Canadian schools (at least all of them did for me). I haven't, so hopefully they'll take that as a positive.

That's why they wait a bit past December to hand out most invites for Canadians at least. Or else they'd be left with filling spots.

I'm also international but not Canadian. I have interviewed at a handful schools so far, and my top 3 at this point includes my alma mater (a state school that accepts very few int'l students), UDM and Buffalo. I'm excited for my upcoming interview at NYU in Nov. I have not heard from BU or UPenn yet, which are the schools that I'm quite interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app