Canadian Applicant Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've interviewed/will be interviewing at 4 schools (UDM, Indiana, Minnesota, NYU), still waiting to hear from a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

International here. What are your guys rankings on the classic international schools (i.e. NYU, Boston, UDM, UPenn, USC etc.)? Most arguments on why schools like NYU aren't great is because it is too expensive. But if you look at it from an int'l perspective (overlooking living costs) UDM, NYU, Boston, UPenn are all about 70k or 90k in the case of state schools as a non-resident.

International here. What are your guys rankings on the classic international schools (i.e. NYU, Boston, UDM, UPenn, USC etc.)? Most arguments on why schools like NYU aren't great is because it is too expensive. But if you look at it from an int'l perspective (overlooking living costs) UDM, NYU, Boston, UPenn are all about 70k or 90k in the case of state schools as a non-resident.

Honestly they're all great schools to me, obviously I have my preferences, but I'd be happy to get in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still can't fathom why so many Canadians haven't looked at applying to Australian Schools. Do you guys realize that American schools will cost roughly 600k Cad to attend? And to be 1 of 350 people in a class. Obviously American schools are great options, but its weird that some people dont even know about or think of attending an Australian school, especially with the reciprocal agreement between Canada and Australia and the US dollar.

I imagine (despite the huge cost) a lot comes down to familiarity. USA is much closer to home, and it is a lot easier for us to visit family/to have family visit.

I imagine (despite the huge cost) a lot comes down to familiarity. USA is much closer to home, and it is a lot easier for us to visit family/to have family visit.

Exactly.

Plus it won't be $600k, unless you go to NYU and the currency exchange rate stays this way for 4 years.

Secondly, most of us may end up staying in the US, so the exchange rate doesnt matter in that case.

I know Australia is great too, but not everyone can or will go there. Especially if you want to practice in the US, finishing in Australia will be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Got my last invite about 3 weeks ago; nothing since.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive gotten a few in the past weeks but its only been from state schools which I find odd.

BUMP
There's like 9 days left! But we don't get the benefit of having Thanksgiving sadly.
How's everyone doing here?

BUMP
There's like 9 days left! But we don't get the benefit of having Thanksgiving sadly.
How's everyone doing here?
Doing well! Really excited for Dec, happy I am done interviews for now.
How you doing?

Pretty well, really hope I get accepted though... Think about it everyday, good thing I have class everyday to keep me occupied at least.

Doing well! Really excited for Dec, happy I am done interviews for now.
How you doing?
I haven't had an interview since the beginning of September. But other than that, school is keeping me pretty preoccupied. I don't know how I'm gonna study for final exams on Dec 1st (or after for that matter).

Accepted to Indiana, Minnesota and Detroit!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys,
Its that time when we all have to start thinking about how we're going to pay for our loans. Mine will be around $430,000.
What are our options??
Any insight from those who have done it?

Thanks.

Walk in front of a bus, take a hit, sue, and chill lmao.

In all seriousness, are you asking how to pay back loans or get loans in the first place?

Hey guys,
Its that time when we all have to start thinking about how we're going to pay for our loans. Mine will be around $430,000.
What are our options??
Any insight from those who have done it?

Thanks.

Pay loans or how to get loans?

Walk in front of a bus, take a hit, sue, and chill lmao.

In all seriousness, are you asking how to pay back loans or get loans in the first place?

Pay loans or how to get loans?

Get loans in the first place.
My only option is private loans, bc I have an american cosigner.
I dont even want to get Canadian loans because of how bad our dollar is, and if I use a Canadian loan and our dollar gets better, I would be losing money paying back.
How did you guys finance your school?

Get loans in the first place.
My only option is private loans, bc I have an american cosigner.
I dont even want to get Canadian loans because of how bad our dollar is, and if I use a Canadian loan and our dollar gets better, I would be losing money paying back.
How did you guys finance your school?

I don't understand your logic? You won't be losing money since you pay year by year. If the CAD goes higher, you'll effectively pay "less" the following year. It's not like you pay one lump sum in Canadian dollars.

I'll be getting a bank loan, OSAP, and from my parents mortgage.

Reactions: 1 user
You can also try and get two max loans from two banks. Scotia gives 275k, RBC gives 150k, and then you gotta cover the rest out of pocket or some other way I believe.

You can also try and get two max loans from two banks. Scotia gives 275k, RBC gives 150k, and then you gotta cover the rest out of pocket or some other way I believe.

You can't do that. The other bank will know you got a line of credit (much like you can't get two mortgages from two banks).

You can't do that. The other bank will know you got a line of credit (much like you can't get two mortgages from two banks).
Well my sister did that to finance her med school in the states, and we got that idea from other people who did the same thing

It's possible to take loans from two different banks, and yes both banks will know. In my case, I'm taking 2 loans from 1 bank. I am taking a student loan from TD 250K with my partner as a cosigner and another student loan from the same bank with my parents are a cosigner for 100K. I'm from Alberta, so I'll be getting 175K in gov loans as well.

I don't understand your logic? You won't be losing money since you pay year by year. If the CAD goes higher, you'll effectively pay "less" the following year. It's not like you pay one lump sum in Canadian dollars.

I'll be getting a bank loan, OSAP, and from my parents mortgage.

My logic is that there are some schools that require you to have the amount for all four years of school in your bank account. So let's say if I take 275000 CAD and put it in my American bank account it will only be 210000USD.
So if our dollar were to go up then I would be paying back more than the 210000USD that actually went into my bank account.

Hey fellow Canadians, are there any of you here that haven't received a single interview invite yet?

It's possible to take loans from two different banks, and yes both banks will know. In my case, I'm taking 2 loans from 1 bank. I am taking a student loan from TD 250K with my partner as a cosigner and another student loan from the same bank with my parents are a cosigner for 100K. I'm from Alberta, so I'll be getting 175K in gov loans as well.

Did TD approve you for 250K? Mine said the max they could give is 210K? If you don't mind me asking (you can PM me) what did the % of your yearly income to expenses come out to? I'd want to negotiate for more.

My logic is that there are some schools that require you to have the amount for all four years of school in your bank account. So let's say if I take 275000 CAD and put it in my American bank account it will only be 210000USD.
So if our dollar were to go up then I would be paying back more than the 210000USD that actually went into my bank account.

I still don't understand what you're saying. Even if you had $275K CAD in your bank account, you wouldn't pay interest on it until you used it. You only pay tuition yearly (even if they request that you have the full amount).

I still don't understand what you're saying. Even if you had $275K CAD in your bank account, you wouldn't pay interest on it until you used it. You only pay tuition yearly (even if they request that you have the full amount).

Yes. However, I need to have all the money in my american bank account and I cant have CAD in my US bank account, hence the conversion into USD now. I know I dont pay until I use it, but I mean I would pay more when I start to pay it all back once I graduate if our dollar goes up.

Yes. However, I need to have all the money in my american bank account and I cant have CAD in my US bank account, hence the conversion into USD now. I know I dont pay until I use it, but I mean I would pay more when I start to pay it all back once I graduate if our dollar goes up.

Ah see, now that makes much more sense. Can't you open a Canadian bank account? I mean you'd be forced to anyways if you get a loan from a Canadian bank...

Ah see, now that makes much more sense. Can't you open a Canadian bank account? I mean you'd be forced to anyways if you get a loan from a Canadian bank...

Sorry if I wasn't explaining myself correctly.
Yeah I have a Canadian bank account but I'm tempted just to borrow the full amount from an American company instead of trying here. What do you think?

Sorry if I wasn't explaining myself correctly.
Yeah I have a Canadian bank account but I'm tempted just to borrow the full amount from an American company instead of trying here. What do you think?

Why? You're going to be paying 2-3x more interest in the US. Loans here are ~2.7%.

MUW in phoenix (~480k) or UDM in detroit (~400K), which one would you guys choose?
both great patient pool.
Phoenix closer to home but more expensive
Phoenix warmer than detroit, but less diverse, students were a little stuck up from what I saw, or maybe more focused!?

Please help me decide!!

MUW in phoenix (~480k) or UDM in detroit (~400K), which one would you guys choose?
both great patient pool.
Phoenix closer to home but more expensive
Phoenix warmer than detroit, but less diverse, students were a little stuck up from what I saw, or maybe more focused!?

Please help me decide!!

UDM 100%. That 80k USD is equal to 110K CAD.

Reactions: 1 user
UDM 100%. That 80k USD is equal to 110K CAD.

True, but they offer two extra certificates that udm doesnt. I do have the money to pay that extra and for now planning on working in the us after graduation so it will be 80k.

If money is not the biggest problem, which school is better?

True, but they offer two extra certificates that udm doesnt. I do have the money to pay that extra and for now planning on working in the us after graduation so it will be 80k.

If money is not the biggest problem, which school is better?
Which one did you deep inside your heart, like? Honestly..

:))) MWU to be honest. They really sold their school and i dont want to base my decision only based on that.
I think we all know in our hearts which school we like a bit better.. deep down you really liked MWU.. if you like the school, faculty/ student satisfaction and the school has great opportunities to meet your goals anddd you're closer to home/family/friends, then I think 80k is worth the happiness and overall satisfaction in your personal and professional life. That's just me though. Perhaps you should talk to the students at the school about what they like/don't like and see if it adds another dimension to your decision?