Canadian Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thread for us Canadians applying to Clinical Programs, or anyone applying to programs up here. I'll update the thread whenever I get any info on interviews and acceptances. Feel free to PM me with updates, or post them on the thread.

I'm applying to 13 programs this year, and I haven't heard anything from any programs yet. Good luck to everyone!

The List:

Clinical Programs

Dates listed are the earliest known date of contact

Interviews

Concordia University
- call from POI on January 13
Dalhousie University - email from POI on January 25
McGill - interview with prof before the deadline
Queen's University - email from POI on February 3 for phone interview
Ryerson University - interview with POI on January 23
Simon Fraser University - email from graduate secretary on January 29; in person interviews Feb 20, phone interviews also available
University of British Columbia - Email invite from POI on January 22 for phone interview
University of Calgary -
Phone call from POI on February 10
University of Guelph - Interviews Feb 5 and 6
University of Manitoba - Email invite from POI on February 5 for phone interview
University of New Brunswick - Email invite from POI on February 7 for phone interview on Feb 9
University of Regina - Email invite from POI on February 26 for phone interview
University of Saskatchewan - Email invite from POI on February 8 for phone interview
University of Victoria (neuropsych)- Email invite from POI February 7 for phone interview week of Feb 8
University of Waterloo - Call from POI for on the spot phone interview on January 26; In person interviews from Feb 2-12
University of Western Ontario
- Invite January 22; Interview Feb 6
University of Windsor (Adult-Clinical, Neuropsych) - Invite February 6 from grad coordinator for phone interview; Interviews to be completed by Feb 24th
York University (Clinical-Developmental) - Email from POI on February 4 for open house and interview on Feb 23
York University (Adult Clinical) - Email from POI on February 12 to set up in person interview

Acceptances

Acadia University -
Acceptance Mar 5
Concordia University - Friend of SDNer accepted (date posted Feb 22), email acceptance March 5
McGill University - Friend of SDNer accepted (date posted Feb 22)
OISE (School and Clinical Child Psychology) - Email Mar 4
Queen's University - Email from POI Feb 12
Ryerson University - Email from DCT Mar 1
Simon Fraser University (Clinical-Forensic, Neuropsych) - Phone call from POI Mar 4
University of British Columbia - Email from POI Feb 7, letter with funding to follow
University of Calgary - Acceptance Feb 26
University of Guelph (Clinical-Developmental) - Acceptances and waitlist notifications Feb 11
University of Manitoba - Email from POI on Mar 5
University of New Brunswick - Email on Feb 16, letter with funding details to follow
University of Victoria (Clinical Neuropsych) - Email from DCT Mar 13
University of Western Ontario - Friend of SDNer accepted (date posted Feb 22)
University of Windsor (Adult-Clinical, Clinical Neuropsych) - Email from graduate secretary Feb 27, funding letter to follow in second week March
University of Waterloo - Email from POI Mar 2
York University (Clinical-Developmental) - Acceptance Feb 23
York University (Adult Clinical) -Acceptance Mar 4

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi psychgirl,

I'm a Canadian, in Toronto, applying to 8 clinical programs, mostly in Ontario, east of here, and NY.

I just thought I'd say hi.

You're not at U of T are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if this is the week we'll start hearing back from some of the programs with earlier dates. I think in last year's thread, the earliest phone invite was January 12th.

My DD is applying (not clinical) to UVic and UBC as well as schools in the US/UK, we will follow this thread for date info

It's nice to see some more canadians on sdn
I applied to simon Fraser and oise's child clinical programs and a bunch of US programs
Good luck everyone!

For anyone who is applying to SFU, their website was just updated with this:

"Clinical Applicants: Please note the interview date scheduled has been changed to February 20, 2009."

I think it had previously said Feb 13th.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say good luck with your application in general and to those attempting SFU specifically. I'm actually currently an undergrad there and i have to say we (as a school) are fortunate to have some really bright and intelligent profs working there. Just a quick note! and yes I am a psyc major.

If you applied for clinical psyc it's super tough to get into any of the canadian programs because of limited space (most accept less than 10 out of approx. 200 applicants) In fact, one of my current professors who is the director of clinical training for graduate studies up at SFU said that it is becoming more and more ridicolously competitive and sometimes even the departments who make the decisions are having trouble differentiating subtle differences among the applicants.

One of the best things that I found is that.. you can have a perfect application (good grades, GRE subject/ regular, research experience, references etc.) but if your research interest do not match anyone then it will be difficult to obtain candidacy.

Basically apply and hope for the best. I'm not graduating till Spring 2010 but ironically I can say I probably don't have a shot going to SFU considering my not so hot gpa.

I'm not a Canadian applicant, but I'm interested in a couple of Canadian programs. Does anybody know anything about either of the clinical progams at UBC or York?

Thanks.

Hey Terpskin. Yep, I'm pretty familiar with both programs (moreso with York than UBC, though). Any specific questions? York doesn't usually start contacting interviewees until February...

Hey Terpskin. Yep, I'm pretty familiar with both programs (moreso with York than UBC, though). Any specific questions? York doesn't usually start contacting interviewees until February...

Thanks, I sent you a PM.

So, is anyone else getting antsy about hearing from programs? I wonder how long it will be until the first interview invites. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
greetings psychgirl77, and fellow canadians.

I've heard from a few people: uvermont, rochester, and western (all clinical), offering interviews. I think my western connection was jumping the queue though.

I'm still waiting to (hopefully) hear from a few more that I've applied to in Canada.

d

I've heard from a few people: uvermont, rochester, and western (all clinical), offering interviews. I think my western connection was jumping the queue though.

I'm still waiting to (hopefully) hear from a few more that I've applied to in Canada.

d

Hi DD! You heard from the University of Western Ontario? Was the invite from your prof of interest directly? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on the thread. Thanks!

d

Congrats on your interviews! Would you mind posting or PMing me the info regarding your invite from the University of Western Ontario (i.e. Was it a phone call, email invite, was it from your POI or the department, and when the interview date is) so I can update the list? Thanks! :)

Sorry if i've caused panic.

My Western connection has not mentioned an interview date. Basically, I was told that I'd likely get an offer, pending the interview. No date was mentioned yet. Show me the money, I say.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who finds out if a date has been released.

Looks like Dalhousie and Concordia have both contacted people too-- See the other thread.

Looks like Dalhousie and Concordia have both contacted people too-- See the other thread.

Whoops, missed that. I had been reading the postings, but that must have been PM'd. :)

Dang, I applied to Concordia and haven't heard anything yet.

Hello there,

I'm not really a Canadian, but I've applied to some schools in Canada (mostly MA programs).

Anyway, hope we all will hear some good news soon!

Hey Psychgirl, i got the invite to interview at UWO today. Their interview date is (soon!) Feb 6.

clarification: UWO = University of Western Ontario.

I just spoke with the grad coordinator at York, and she said that not all Profs set up interviews with students they want to take.
She said that the decisions should be made by early April.

Also, I was contacted by my POI from UBC last week, and said that I will probably hear back from her in a couple of weeks with the final decisions.

(I hate this application stress!!!!!!!!)

I got an interview invite for SFU's clinical program via email from the graduate secretary this evening!

Also, don't necessarily give up on Waterloo quite yet; seems like they're sending out invites kind of sporadically. Give it a few more days. They're pretty good at sending rejections out early (last year was January 31st), so we should all know either way pretty soon.

UBC plans to make offers in about a week and a half. Ulla, let's PM each other if/when we hear, k?

IS that UBC clinical or other fields, too? Any one hear anything from UVic?

Clinical-- A few profs did phone interviews over the last week or so, and they'll be making offers soon. Not sure if ALL profs in UBC Clinical do phone interviews, either, so it's technically possible someone would just be surprised with an offer. Not sure if other divisions at UBC have extended invites/offers yet or not.

Has anyone heard from Ryerson or Guelph (Child Clinical)?
Last year, one girl got an offer from York as late as July--she must have been in their waitlist.

Did Waterloo send out email rejections to the people interviewed or to the entire pool of applicants?

Did Waterloo send out email rejections to the people interviewed or to the entire pool of applicants?

Last year, all students who did not receive an interview got rejection emails on January 31st. This year, interview invites are being extended now-ish, and I'd expect rejection emails to go out soon to the applicants who aren't getting interviewed.

Do you know if Waterloo's interview is the 'final gatekeeper'--they've already decided on you but they just want to make sure you're human? Or do they have 2-3 potentials they invite and choose from them?

Do you know if Waterloo's interview is the 'final gatekeeper'--they've already decided on you but they just want to make sure you're human? Or do they have 2-3 potentials they invite and choose from them?

Sending you a PM.

Would anyone be able to provide an answer to the same question, but for York?

p.s. thewesternsky, yeah let's pm when we hear from UBC!

Last edited:
Update: Profs at Queen's have our files-- I got an email from my POI this morning to schedule a phone interview.

Hi there!
I haven't heard anything from UVic yet either. All I got from them was a letter on Jan 2 saying that I was missing my GRE scores... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us :)

ps. has anyone heard from U Calgary or U Ottawa?

Thanks!

Hi there!
I haven't heard anything from UVic yet either. All I got from them was a letter on Jan 2 saying that I was missing my GRE scores... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us :)

ps. has anyone heard from U Calgary or U Ottawa?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything from UVIC or U Calgary. I didn't apply to Ottawa so I can't help you there. :)

Last edited:
I was contacted today by my POI for a phone interview at Queen's.

SIDENOTE: Any thoughts on whether it's ok to ask if you can do an "in person" meeting instead? (I severely SUCK at phone intervews.... they make me way more nervous than face-to-face interviews).

bonniesbigday,

I'd give it a try...I wouldn't go to any university without visiting it and the faculty first anyways. just keep in mind that they might want to be able to keep on their timeline, ie you might have to be willing to get out there quickly if they were hoping to have an interview in, let's say, just a few days.

Ryerson is updating their database with people whose SSHRC funding got forwarded. I don't think they've made requests for interviews yet; but probably next week once they know about applicants' funding status.

Has anyone heard from McGill? They had the earliest deadline but I haven't heard anything. What about U of Windsor?

Was the York contact for Adult-Clinical, or Clinical-Developmental?

Has anyone applied to UVic or UWindsor before and know about how long they take to get back to you about interviews?

CONGRATS!
do you mind if i ask what specific program if was for?

ALSO: has anyone else heard from SFU?

I got an interview invite for SFU's clinical program via email from the graduate secretary this evening!

ALSO: has anyone else heard from SFU?

I got the same email that psychgirl77 did (or at least also a mass email from the dept coordinator), on the same day, and I applied to the general clinical program.