Canadian applicant to US schools, question about GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeofmalaise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm getting mixed answers from various sources!

For any Canadians out there wanting to apply to US veterinary colleges (thinking of a few UK/Australia/West Indies ones also), do you know if we have to submit our transcript to the foreign transcript evaluation services e.g. WES?

I know on the VMCAS instructions, it says Canadians do not. But I've called a few schools' admissions office and some of them say I do (But I have a feeling some of them are wrong :p). I am really hoping that I don't have to (so expensive! :eek:)

But if I don't, how would I know how to self-report my grades on VMCAS application and each school's supplemental applications? FYI, my school reports letter grades on the transcripts. If I was self-reporting, am I supposed to just input whatever letter grade appears on my transcript?

Some admission offices I've called have said that they cannot give me a conversion guide unless they actually see my transcript and some schools have told me to just follow the regular 4.00/letter grade scale.

This GPA conversion is really driving me crazy :confused: I would really like to know how my grades would be converted so I can at least get a sense of what my GPA would be compared with accepted students, without having to submit my transcript for a $160 evaluation. If anyone has any experience with this, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Self-reporting should mean you input your own grades.

As best I've been able to figure out the Canadian 100/American 4.0 conversion, I think the way to calculate is to set it up as a ratio - your Canadian average/100 = your American GPA/4.0. So for example, a 75 Canadian average is about equal to an American 3.0. If I'm correct here (and I very well may not be!), this should tell you approximately where you stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
My university is NEVER on that list :p I have no idea how to use it :/

I found this site: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admin/570.html

My university is an A.

It makes my grades seem so inflated. My overall average is ~82. So according to that chart, my GPA is ~3.6?

So, if I apply to an American school or international school, my GPA would be considered competative? It just doesn't seem correct.

This site also has links that tell you how to calculate your GPA: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admin/568.html

Those charts definitely inflate your grades..A AND A- would be 4.0 for my university. My GPA is like a 4.3 according to that. I think most US universities operate on a 4.0 rather than 4.5 GPA scale.

I swore that my university only operated on a 4.0 scale. I just cant find the conversion chart online at the moment. But at 85 was still an A.

If you apply internationally, are they going to see the 3.6 and think FANTASTIC, or are they going to look at the fact that our grades are inflated?