Canadian Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to apply to medical schools this summer, but am a bit confused about primary and secondary applications as we apply differently in Canada. This is what I understand about the application process:

Apply online on AMCAS and AAMCOM
Wait for the secondary applications to be made available on AACOM and AMCAS ( will it be made available to me only if I meet their MCAT and GPA cut off or does everybody receive these secondary applications?)
Complete the secondary applications before the deadline

Also, where will I get information about which schools accept Canadians and schools that are right for me (in terms of GPA and MCAT). Is MSAR really helpful in answering these questions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am hoping to apply to medical schools this summer, but am a bit confused about primary and secondary applications as we apply differently in Canada. This is what I understand about the application process:

Apply online on AMCAS and AAMCOM
Wait for the secondary applications to be made available on AACOM and AMCAS ( will it be made available to me only if I meet their MCAT and GPA cut off or does everybody receive these secondary applications?)
Complete the secondary applications before the deadline

Also, where will I get information about which schools accept Canadians and schools that are right for me (in terms of GPA and MCAT). Is MSAR really helpful in answering these questions?

Thanks.

Yes MSAR is really helpful in deciding what schools to apply to. Don't just look at which schools accept international students though - also see the % of international students that interview/matriculate there per year, compared to OOS. This will give you a much better idea whether or not a school is worth applying to (ex. some schools will accept 1 every few years, while some may accept ~10 a year).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes MSAR is really helpful in deciding what schools to apply to. Don't just look at which schools accept international students though - also see the % of international students that interview/matriculate there per year, compared to OOS. This will give you a much better idea whether or not a school is worth applying to (ex. some schools will accept 1 every few years, while some may accept ~10 a year).
Great advice! I would also double check with each school via their website or contacting them to ensure that they do really accept Canadian students. Good luck!