Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the site but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Canadian applicants? I am looking to apply this september. I havent written my OATs yet, planning on doing that this summer..my overall GPA is around 3.0 - 3.3. but thats my question..i dont really kno how to calculate GPA..especially because the canadian system is really different. ALSO my school uses percentages for marks. So I dont really kno what an "A" or "B" or "C" is? I was wondering if anyone knew about how they convert from Canadian systems and if it is any different than the American applicants - because I have heard from friends applying to medical schools in the states they use a much different system.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I am new to the site but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Canadian applicants? I am looking to apply this september. I havent written my OATs yet, planning on doing that this summer..my overall GPA is around 3.0 - 3.3. but thats my question..i dont really kno how to calculate GPA..especially because the canadian system is really different. ALSO my school uses percentages for marks. So I dont really kno what an "A" or "B" or "C" is? I was wondering if anyone knew about how they convert from Canadian systems and if it is any different than the American applicants - because I have heard from friends applying to medical schools in the states they use a much different system.

Thanks!!!

If you want to know what you GPA is around you can use the OMSAS conversion table if you are at present at a CANADIAN university. It shows the percentages or grades that each university use, and converts it to a GPA. Just look it up on google and you will find the link....

HOwever, each US school may calculate GPA's slightly different which you can probably find out about on their websites...

I dont think im going to be spending time on this site if i get into optometry school lol

Members don't see this ad :)
no, I've seen it used for optometry & dentistry too.

Most schools calculate things a little differently. The easiest thing to do is get an official transcript from your school and look on the back. It should have a conversion table based on your school's set standards. The schools you apply to will use this conversion to calculate your GPA.

Good Luck!

schools will calculate your grades differently and for certain schools, the university you attended will come into play, just a little though.

However, when reporting your grades, you should go with the conversion table that is located on your transcript. I personally contacted each school I was applying to regarding this since I am from Quebec and went to Cegep and university. so it was quite confusing, but I finally got through it.

Good luck! :)