Canadian applicants.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleemmerani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a Canadian student in 3rd year B.Sc Bio/Psych dual. I was wondering what the difficulty level was of a Canadian student to gain interview/acceptance to a US school? I'd REALLY love to go to UBuffalo. My uncle (Canadian graduated a few years ago) attended UB, but was not able to help me with my question very much!

Any input would be great.

ps. are there schools that anyone knows of that "generally" admit international/Canadian students more than other schools? Or are there schools that take into consideration race/minority status (I'm half african/east indian). I know there are med schools like Meharry/Howard that predominantly accept minority students: is there anything like that in pharmacy?

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm a Canadian student in 3rd year B.Sc Bio/Psych dual. I was wondering what the difficulty level was of a Canadian student to gain interview/acceptance to a US school? I'd REALLY love to go to UBuffalo. My uncle (Canadian graduated a few years ago) attended UB, but was not able to help me with my question very much!

Any input would be great.

ps. are there schools that anyone knows of that "generally" admit international/Canadian students more than other schools? Or are there schools that take into consideration race/minority status (I'm half african/east indian). I know there are med schools like Meharry/Howard that predominantly accept minority students: is there anything like that in pharmacy?

Thanks =)

How do you plan to pay tuition for other schools? I'm canadian (3rd yr chem honors major bio minor) and I'm only applying to canadian schools + UB since their tuition is like the cheapest in the state, they have a good reputation as a pharmacy school and they have simple course requirements.

I'm thinking it's gonna be quite tough to get an interview...(http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_sbp.shtml)

But giving up $180 for a chance of getting in is well worth it.

How did you even get all the course requirements for other schools?

It is generally easier to get into private schools as they will accept lower GPA and will accept international students since you're paying the same whether out of state or in state. But I heard some private school weed out a large number of accepted students, meaning they waste like a year's tuition or something like that.

If you have the course requirements and the $$, I would check out u of maryland and some texas schools, they seem to be pretty good (especially maryland).

How do you plan to pay tuition for other schools? I'm canadian (3rd yr chem honors major bio minor) and I'm only applying to canadian schools + UB since their tuition is like the cheapest in the state, they have a good reputation as a pharmacy school and they have simple course requirements.

I'm thinking it's gonna be quite tough to get an interview...(http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_sbp.shtml)

But giving up $180 for a chance of getting in is well worth it.

How did you even get all the course requirements for other schools?

It is generally easier to get into private schools as they will accept lower GPA and will accept international students since you're paying the same whether out of state or in state. But I heard some private school weed out a large number of accepted students, meaning they waste like a year's tuition or something like that.

If you have the course requirements and the $$, I would check out u of maryland and some texas schools, they seem to be pretty good (especially maryland).

"how are u going to pay" - is that a rhetorical q? lol. OSAP and my parents.. thankfully they're going to cover me on that one.

By U Maryland/Texas being good.. do u mean they're better/more accepting of int'l/CDN students?

ps where do you TA Ochem?

Members don't see this ad :)
"how are u going to pay" - is that a rhetorical q? lol. OSAP and my parents.. thankfully they're going to cover me on that one.

By U Maryland/Texas being good.. do u mean they're better/more accepting of int'l/CDN students?

ps where do you TA Ochem?

They accept international students, and I know maryland is one of the best pharm schools in the states. I also hear good things from U Austin or texas A&M (I forgot which one though, I think austin). I thought these were really good schools until I realized I didn't meet their long list of pre-reqs. I was also looking at university of chicago. In the end though, only UB fitted my requirements, so I'm only applying to UB and canadian schools.

I'm TAing introductory organic chemistry during summer at my university (I interviewed and got the job already). I'm a chem major and do a lot of organic and analytical chem so yea. I already took the highest level organic chemistry I could take in my university (only got an A- though) without taking classes with grad students. I was told by my chem advisor that if I do take classes with grad students, my GPA will sink badly since grad students take only one or two courses a year. It's pretty good pay for what I think will be easy stuff. I was going to apply to NSERC but the work hours were too long and pay is lower than minimum wage.

what's OSAP? I'm currently getting by on student loans, but they give me around 11k a year, but that's including living by myself.... so yea, that won't nearly cover tuition into the 10k+ a year tuition at some state schools...

They accept international students, and I know maryland is one of the best pharm schools in the states. I also hear good things from U Austin or texas A&M (I forgot which one though, I think austin). I thought these were really good schools until I realized I didn't meet their long list of pre-reqs. I was also looking at university of chicago. In the end though, only UB fitted my requirements, so I'm only applying to UB and canadian schools.

I'm TAing introductory organic chemistry during summer at my university (I interviewed and got the job already). I'm a chem major and do a lot of organic and analytical chem so yea. I already took the highest level organic chemistry I could take in my university (only got an A- though) without taking classes with grad students. I was told by my chem advisor that if I do take classes with grad students, my GPA will sink badly since grad students take only one or two courses a year. It's pretty good pay for what I think will be easy stuff. I was going to apply to NSERC but the work hours were too long and pay is lower than minimum wage.

what's OSAP? I'm currently getting by on student loans, but they give me around 11k a year, but that's including living by myself.... so yea, that won't nearly cover tuition into the 10k+ a year tuition at some state schools...

OSAP = Ontario Student Assistance Program. It's the governmental body of student loans. Have you taken your pcat yet?

I've had 3 interviews for midwest schools (UMKC, OU, CU) and got accepted to CU, waitlisted for the other two. Do some research on schools that accept international students. I know some school won't even consider you unless you're a US citizen/permanent resident.