Canadian Apply to Dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parham3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this year to US dental schools

GPA 3.6 overall
sciGPA 3.5, BCP 3.6

have a very strong upward trend, basically all A's except first year. Double majoring in Chem and Bio. I have also done a honors thesis. Research volunteering, general volunteering, dental volunteering, Start-up company, etc.

I got 19AA and 23PAT on my canadian DAT and will be writing my aDAT coming june expecting to get over 21+ on all sections.

Schools I will be apply to
USC
USCSF
Midwestern
Kentucky
Michigan
Boston
NYU
Tufts
Columbia
Temple
University of Pennsylvania

I really want to avoid dental schools not to be blunt but ****ty areas. Ant input of addition/removal would be great. I want to cut the school list to 8. Preferably move to the West coast with nice weather.

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts does not accept Canadian students anymore, so I would remove that. I would remove Kentucky as well..
I would add in Case Western in that list.

i would remove temple, ucsf and USC (just because it costs $470k ish in Canadian dollar)
add pittsburgh

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts does not accept Canadian students anymore, so I would remove that. I would remove Kentucky as well..
I would add in Case Western in that list.
They're still accepting the Canadian DAT though?

http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/frequently-asked-questions/#international

Q. Do you accept applicants with international residency?

A. No. For the 2012-2013 application cycle those applicants without US citizenship or permanent residency will not be considered for the DMD program.

To @Connauton, I think it is for American citizens residing in Canada who wants to apply using Canadian DAT score..?
I didn't apply to Tufts, but I have read from premed101 and other forums that Tufts does not accept international students anymore.

They're still accepting the Canadian DAT though?

On top of that previous post, I think it might be Canadian Citizens holding permanent residency or dual citizenship as well.

Add Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, Minnesota.

Also, why do you want to cut your list to 8? Your stats are right around the average, so maybe apply to a couple more than 8. As a Canadian you're fighting for a smaller number of spots right off the bat.

Add Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, Minnesota.

Also, why do you want to cut your list to 8? Your stats are right around the average, so maybe apply to a couple more than 8. As a Canadian you're fighting for a smaller number of spots right off the bat.
But private schools shouldn't discriminate so everyone is on the same playing field

But private schools shouldn't discriminate so everyone is on the same playing field

not exactly entirely true
look at the statistics of how many Canadians were accepted to each school in the past several years. (doctoothache uploaded the excel file)
from what I can remember, even Canadian friendly schools (either private or not) only gave out 10% of their class seats to Canadians.
Is it because non-Canadian students had higher gpa and DAT? Maybe, maybe not. but nonetheless those are the statistics.