Canadian applying to American MD.... low MCAT high gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianofpeace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I will keep it short. My GPA is 4.0 and my mcat is a poor 29 (balanced). It was my second write. Really not sure what to do from here, would I be competitive at all at schools such as Albany, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, MSU, Wayne? Or will my application be thrown out right away? Feeling down, and confused what to do from here. DO I guess I could apply but :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I will keep it short. My GPA is 4.0 and my mcat is a poor 29 (balanced). It was my second write. Really not sure what to do from here, would I be competitive at all at schools such as Albany, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, MSU, Wayne? Or will my application be thrown out right away? Feeling down, and confused what to do from here. DO I guess I could apply but :(
Stats for international applicants are not reported separately from domestic students. Popular wisdom seems to be that you need to be above the median MCAT for a particular school to have a good chance at an interview.

Even if you were a domestic student, you would have a much better chance of success by applying to DO schools as well.

Stats for international applicants are not reported separately from domestic students. Popular wisdom seems to be that you need to be above the median MCAT for a particular school to have a good chance at an interview.

Even if you were a domestic student, you would have a much better chance of success by applying to DO schools as well.
This is what I feared. I see for instance some schools have an "average" MCAT of 30 accepted but I guess it doesn't mean much

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I feared. I see for instance some schools have an "average" MCAT of 30 accepted but I guess it doesn't mean much
DO schools appear to be much more interested in international students these days, though.

Which DO schools in particular are interested in international students?
AACOMAS just produced a publication that lists which schools accept internationals but I can't put my hands on it right now. A search might help you!