Canadian at US Med School & Competitive Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bqhealer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student hoping to match into an orthopaedic residency spot. My Step 1 score is competitive (249) but i'm Canadian without permanent residency. Will this hurt my application? Are there ortho residency programs that are Canadian-friendly?

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year med student hoping to match into an orthopaedic residency spot. My Step 1 score is competitive (249) but i'm Canadian without permanent residency. Will this hurt my application? Are there ortho residency programs that are Canadian-friendly?

Help!

It hurts only a little. You will match somewhere and there aren't any that are Canadian friendly. The only difference between you and a US MD student is you need a visa that is it. There is no cultural barrier, educational differences you'll be fine.

Thanks Medstart108! Been hearing many different perspectives on this piece...are you a canadian student at a US med school? or do you know canadians who've matched into a competitive specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply to orthopedics, but can tell you that my road into US residency as a Canadian, non-US permanent resident, non-US citizen who did med school in the US was much harder than the typical US student because I needed the H1b for residency, and about every other program I looked into refused to sponsor it, and only wanted the J1, which for various reasons I could not accept. Very frustrating. Don't think it'll be much better in ortho, one of the most competitive specialities. Sorry, OP, if I'm bursting your bubble but that was my experience. It is possible, but you may have to sacrifice location.

Now, if you're cool with the J1, then never mind the above, you should have less of an issue matching.

hmm sounds like it's going to be a tough road...curious though, what are the differences between H1b & J1 visas? does the H1b visa make the path to permanent residency that much easier?

hmm sounds like it's going to be a tough road...curious though, what are the differences between H1b & J1 visas? does the H1b visa make the path to permanent residency that much easier?

I'm not at a US med school. The H1B is better for immigration as its dual intent so you can apply for green card while on it. The J1 you can't and after the 7 years they kick you out for 2 years back to Canada or in some cases they will let you do 3 years rural. It still delays you getting a GC even if you do the service.

The H1B is harder because it costs more money for the hospital and supposedly they can't pass the cost on to you. They also need a lawyer. Most programs won't go through the hassle unless they think you are really worth it.

I didn't apply to orthopedics, but can tell you that my road into US residency as a Canadian, non-US permanent resident, non-US citizen who did med school in the US was much harder than the typical US student because I needed the H1b for residency, and about every other program I looked into refused to sponsor it, and only wanted the J1, which for various reasons I could not accept. Very frustrating. Don't think it'll be much better in ortho, one of the most competitive specialities. Sorry, OP, if I'm bursting your bubble but that was my experience. It is possible, but you may have to sacrifice location.

Now, if you're cool with the J1, then never mind the above, you should have less of an issue matching.

What did you end up doing?