Canadian Audiology Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaymar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, is anyone here in a Canadian audiology school? If so, can you tell me a bit about it and job prospects afterwards. Is getting your masters degree here comparable to an Au.D in the states? Also, I've heard that getting your Phd is almost a must now if you want to have a strong career as an audiologist.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on staying in Canada or emigrating to England, Australia, or many other countries then the masters should be fine. If you want to move to the US after completing your degree then you may face some challenges in some states. I dont think a PhD is all that necessary for clinicians. You only need the PhD if you plan on working in academia or some positions in industry.

Great thanks chicoborja. Isn't it insane that their are only 3 (English) audiology schools in Canada and over a dozen in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply in the states if it didn't cost 10X as much. I'm going to stick with the true north strong and free.

Hi, is anyone here in a Canadian audiology school? If so, can you tell me a bit about it and job prospects afterwards. Is getting your masters degree here comparable to an Au.D in the states? Also, I've heard that getting your Phd is almost a must now if you want to have a strong career as an audiologist.

Thanks.
There are twelve schools (about 8 have specific audiology majors) in Canada, according to this link.

The Canadian Academy of Audiology lists three English Audiology programs and also three programs in French -- I would check these first since they're most likely to lead to certification.

hey thanks reliseme, I didn't know Alberta had an audiology program, but I think it's joint with SLP.

I guess no one on this forum goes to a Canadian school, I want to get an idea of what it's like.

I guess no one on this forum goes to a Canadian school, I want to get an idea of what it's like.

I'm pretty sure most of us are headed to schools in the US. You might try http://www.aud.org.uk/forum/ which is more geared towards international study. You'll have to sign up to read anyone's post (and if you don't post for a while your account will get frozen and then deleted), but I suggest searching in their forum and if you don't come up with anything then post a topic.

A basic search here yielded this, but I'm sure if you looked further you'd find more.