Canadian Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CtoA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. Wondering if you could provide some information regarding my chances as I am not very versed with American schools. If you could list some MD schools that I might have a shot at as a Canadian applicant, that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

GPA: 2.7 cumulative, near 4.0 for the last 3 years (First 2 years were horrible)
MCAT: 32
Extra Curriculars: Strong. Lot of work experience, volunteering in community, shadowing, etc.
LORS: Strong. Prof, Employer, Doctor.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

As an international applicant you are already at a disadvantage. With that GPA you don't have great chances at all unfortunately. Upward trend will help. But based on my calculations your GPA those first two years would have to be near 0. Is that correct?

Dead at arrival unless you do something about your GPA like retake classes for grade replacement for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Figured the CGPA was the killer, thought the upward trend, compelling story, etc, might hold sway.

Check the requirements for the Canadian Schools that only use your best 2 years! I am not in the same boat as you, but similar. I had a 3.96/4 last year but only a 3.4 first year. So now that I've figured out how to study, I plan next year to apply to only the Canadian schools that disregard either your lowest 3 full year courses (UofT) or the ones that use best 2 years or weight last years more (Queen's, Dal, Western, U of Ottawa, and possibly more). And as you mentioned, having the last 2 years as your highest will look more favorable than the opposite.

No, I know about the Canadian schools. I was just looking at this forum to expand my possibilities to the States. Thanks for the tip regardless.