Canadian Fourth Year MBBS student in Pakistan - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah.khan34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pakistani-born Canadian Citizen who moved back to Pakistan (after high-school in Canada) for MBBS because its cheaper and shorter and also because my parents wanted me to become a doctor and medicine in Pakistan is easier to get into.

Now, I'm currently in my fourth year of medicine and I can't imagine living in Pakistan all my life. My whole family is living in Canada and I'm also starting to hate medicine (although this maybe because its around exam time right now) I really REALLY need advice on what I can do right now to eventually live in Canada with a health care-related job. So please help if you can.

From what i can see, I have the 4 options - I need to know if there's any better options!
1. Continue Post-gradute studies in Pakistan and be miserable all my life.
2. Finish MBBS and give MCCEE (canadian licensing exam) ---- very unlikely to match in a residency (6years of my life wasted)
3. Finish MBBS and give USMLE --- still very unlikely (6 years wasted)
4. Leave Medicine in Pakistan NOW and start undergraduate studies in Canada for a Nursing/physician assistant program (meaning 4 years of my life wasted)

Also, i was wondering if I pass MCCEE and don't match in a residency if there's a program i can easily get into as an IMG in Canada to allow me to work in a health care-related field. I really need advice so if anyone can help, please do.

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise against the Canadian options at this point. I know Canadians in my class that came here and were basically out of luck for going back. There are NOT very many training sites up there.

I'd take USMLE and go for IMG match in the U.S. Target specifically IMG friendly programs. Hate to say it, but many VA based programs take a decent number of IMG grads. Reno, NV has a medicine residency that has a ton of IMGs in it. Just a few options.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I would advise against considering your years there "wasted", there are lots of doctors from Pakistan doing residency in US. Are you in first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be okay, as long as you blow away step exams. There are plenty of IMGS that match but you gotta do really well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am a Pakistani-born Canadian Citizen who moved back to Pakistan (after high-school in Canada) for MBBS because its cheaper and shorter and also because my parents wanted me to become a doctor and medicine in Pakistan is easier to get into.

Now, I'm currently in my fourth year of medicine and I can't imagine living in Pakistan all my life. My whole family is living in Canada and I'm also starting to hate medicine (although this maybe because its around exam time right now) I really REALLY need advice on what I can do right now to eventually live in Canada with a health care-related job. So please help if you can.

From what i can see, I have the 4 options - I need to know if there's any better options!
1. Continue Post-gradute studies in Pakistan and be miserable all my life.
2. Finish MBBS and give MCCEE (canadian licensing exam) ---- very unlikely to match in a residency (6years of my life wasted)
3. Finish MBBS and give USMLE --- still very unlikely (6 years wasted)
4. Leave Medicine in Pakistan NOW and start undergraduate studies in Canada for a Nursing/physician assistant program (meaning 4 years of my life wasted)

Also, i was wondering if I pass MCCEE and don't match in a residency if there's a program i can easily get into as an IMG in Canada to allow me to work in a health care-related field. I really need advice so if anyone can help, please do.

if you really are unhappy in Medicine, why continue down this path? Life is short!... and this is a profession that honestly often seems more like an identity. Also- Unhappy doctors usually aren't the best doctors for their patients.
Could you move back to Canada and do anything else? There are quite a few professional jobs besides being a nurse or PA that might be fulfilling and make your family proud. Have you considered any other fields that you're really interested in?

if you really are unhappy in Medicine, why continue down this path? Life is short!... and this is a profession that honestly often seems more like an identity. Also- Unhappy doctors usually aren't the best doctors for their patients.
Could you move back to Canada and do anything else? There are quite a few professional jobs besides being a nurse or PA that might be fulfilling and make your family proud. Have you considered any other fields that you're really interested in?

i was interested in computer programming, but its been 4 years in med school so ive forgotten about that...anyways, its too late for that now, i dont think i can start over and completely change my career at this point it will most likely be medicine if not then some health-care related career...but im still confused as to what i should do, hope i make the right decision