Canadian Grad Student Chances, 3.75 CGPA 3.7 SGPA 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • 30 MCat
  • CGPA: 3.75
  • SGPA: 3.7
  • Canadian applicant

Hi there,
I'm looking for help figure out my best options for this current cycle. Any advice is much appreciated!

Background: I attended a prominent Canadian university for my undergrad in kinesiology, graduated 1 year ago. I began my masters in spinal cord injury research last summer. Amoung my various scholarships, I was the recipient of a major (<5% success rate) Master's award.

Research: While in university, I spent 2 years working as a research assistant in a lab for two different profs. Received a substantial summer research fellowship from the federal government. 3 lines of research while in undergrad and grad school.
1. Unconscious sensorimotor learning (1 pub - not first author)
2. Neuromechanics and biomechanics of human postural control (3 pubs, 1 in submission [second author]. 1 pub in submission [first author])
3. Preserved motor pathways in completely paralzyed SCI (1 pub, 1 in submission, thesis project (first author, another pub in submission), presented at 3 local conferences, accepted for 2 oral presentations at International SCI conference
also: 2 sole author publications (one campus journal, another national journal) -- not hypothesis-based, literature reviews/commentaries

Other:
-Summer 2012, was a Team Leader and Medical Assistant doing clinical work in Africa for 5 weeks
-TA during Masters
-Volunteering at both the children's hospital in my major city, and the children's hospice (5 years). On the board of directors for the children's hospital foundation (held the communications chair position).

Ultimately, I'm looking more for my reach schools rather than a low-tier, or low mid-tier school in the US, otherwise I will likely remain in Canada for med school. Ideally, I'd like to end up in a major city.

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem is that MD schools that interview international applicants tend to be very selective about scores. They also tend to be private and expensive, but that is secondary. You might want to go over to the International forum for more experienced advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an international student your stats are very low. You have essentially no chance at US public schools and only a small chance at some of the expensive private schools. Apply to all of the Canadian schools.

You'd be good for MSU for DO. They are kind to Canadians. :)

Especially as an international applicant, I dont think your chances are great. I know other Canadians who have matched your level of research productivity and stats (very close LizzyM score) who haven't had much luck with top tiers. Your ECs are better though, so you may fare a little better.