Canadian Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your sGPA and cGPA calculated by AMCAS and AACOMAS? Put in every undergraduate course you have ever taken. In order for us to evaluate your situation, we need these numbers. Also, without your MCAT it is near impossible to say. IMO, considering you are an international applicant, it doesn't look too good at this point. But please write back when you have your gpa's and MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks

Last edited:
How many science classes have you taken in the last 65 credit hours? An sGPA of 2.88 doesn't do much to reassure adcomms that you can master the hard-science med school curriculum that is roughly equivalent to 21 credit hours per semester. But if you've taken a lot of upper-leve Bio and Biochem in the last few years and gotten great marks, your recent grades might trump the impression that your low GPAs give. That, along with a strong MCAT score to prove you "got" the basic sciences may get you interviews at some DO schools.

Thanks

Last edited:
In my last 65 credits my courses have consisted of;

Anatomy and Physiology 1+2 w/ labs
Microbiology w/ labs
Pathophysiology
Pharmacology

In addition to regular nursing courses dealing with physiology/diseases/treatments and have received an A in all courses.
Excellent!

Be aware that some DO schools have sGPA cutoffs that would limit your chances at those schools. Hopefully, your application sGPA would be above 3.0 so you won't have that issue.

Another heads-up is a general expectation that your GPA in the prerequisites be > C. Any C- should be retaken.
Realistically I am trying to determine how well I need to do on the MCAT.
I think that a well-balanced 30 would do it (assuming good LORs, well-expressed reason for a career change, decent essays, and good interview skills).
I am also *hoping* the DO schools will look very positively upon myself being a RN
Being an RN isn't so much the positive as is having superb clinical experience, which is enough to make a lack of research a nonissue, BTW.

Thanks so much!

Excellent!

Be aware that some DO schools have sGPA cutoffs that would limit your chances at those schools. Hopefully, your application sGPA would be above 3.0 so you won't have that issue.

Another heads-up is a general expectation that your GPA in the prerequisites be > C. Any C- should be retaken.
I think that a well-balanced 30 would do it (assuming good LORs, well-expressed reason for a career change, decent essays, and good interview skills).
Being an RN isn't so much the positive as is having superb clinical experience, which is enough to make a lack of research a nonissue, BTW.

Last edited: