Canadian M2 student who needs a strong USMLE Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTL McDougall

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a brief search through the website search engine and couldn't find a thread quite like this one, so I thought I'd go ahead and post.

I'm a US Citizen studying at a strong Canadian medical school and am looking to write the USMLE Step 1 in summer 2016 (between M2 and M3). Most Canadian students writing the USMLE are just looking for a pass so that they could be eligible to complete a fellowship in the US. On the other hand, I'm looking to complete my residency in the US and practice there, so a strong USMLE score is important for me.

1) I have heard that the pre-clinical years in Canada and the US have some significant differences in what they focus on, with US medical schools focusing more on the basic sciences of medicine than we do. I am also aware that the basic sciences weigh heavily on Step 1. I'm planning on starting to study in October-ish and writing the exam next July. Is this sufficient? Apparently we have to teach ourselves some of the stuff we weren't taught in med school over here, so the studying can take quite some time. Any Canadian students want to tell me how long they studied for in order to get a good USMLE score? I've heard of people starting 12 months before the exam, but surely that must be exaggerated??

2) What are good resources for me to get on par with US students taking the test? Should I consider one of those prep courses through Kaplan or whatever? What databases, books, flashcards would be good to use to prep? There are so many resources available online that it's hard to know which to focus on and invest in. I have First Aid for the USMLE already, of course. I'm not a fast notetaker so I think some good pre-made flashcards would be useful. Also I know some of these resources can be expensive (especially classes) but if the investment is worth it then that won't stop me.

Any advice at all is appreciated! Keep in mind that as a Canadian student I will need more study time to learn what US students have been prepped for throughout their M1 and M2 years.

Thank you!

(N.B. I just reposted this thread in the main Allopathic forum, realizing I posted here in Allopathic Class Thread. My bad)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm only an M1, but repeatedly people say to use UWorld, First Aid, and Pathoma to study for Step 1. I can't really tell you much more than that though.

i hope this will help :search google for :kevin md how i scored 257 on usmle good luck:)