canadian NDEB 2011 clinical skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubaident

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets start a forum for discussing matters related to clinical skills

ANY feed back related to training centres ,materials for preparation and tips for training are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

CONTENT AND FORMAT

During the 2 day Assessment of Clinical Skills, participants will be evaluated on their performance of simulated dental procedures on manikins in a clinical setting.
Participants will be required to perform the following procedures:
  • Class II amalgam preparation.
  • Anterior composite resin preparation.
  • Full metal crown preparation.
  • Ceramometal (porcelain fused to metal) crown preparation.
  • Endodontic access preparation on a molar tooth.
  • Fabricate a provisional crown restoration for a pre-prepared ceramometal (porcelain fused to metal) crown preparation on Day 2 of the Assessment. The original unprepared tooth in a typodont will be available on Day 1 of the Assessment.
  • Restore a pre-prepared tooth with a direct Class II composite resin restoration.
  • Restore a pre-prepared tooth with a direct Class IV composite resin restoration.
  • Restore a pre-prepared tooth with a Class II amalgam restoration.
  • Apply a rubber dam.
Participants will also be evaluated on the following:
  • Infection control and material hygiene
  • Record keeping.

CONTENT AND FORMAT

The Assessment of Clinical Judgement consists of three (3) books given in a single day. There will be a one (1) hour break between each book.
Books 1A and 1B
Diagnosis, Treatment Planning and Clinical Decision Making
This extended match multiple choice assessment will evaluate the participant’s ability to formulate a diagnosis and to make clinical decisions. Patient histories, and dental charts will be provided for patients of all ages, including those with special needs.
Book 2
Radiographic Interpretation
Using photographic prints of dental radiographs, this extended match multiple choice assessment will evaluate the participant’s knowledge in oral radiology and ability to make a radiographic interpretation and diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know about the typodont they are using for NDEB examination

Hi Dubaident,

I know one centre at Airport Road, Mississauga -- ONTARIO SIMULATION TRAINING CENTRE

VISIT the website -- OSTCDENTAL.COM

Many dentists who were preparing for US and Canadian universities did the clinical skills training program from this centre and were very satisfied.

They are going to start another Clinical Skills training program on Feb 12th specifically structured for canadian equivalency exam.

hello everybody ,
is there any one finished these exams & succeeded .. & then got the license ??!!! because many people said it is too hard to admit to the equivalency processes .. and also soo hard to pass ... and i would like to know how many years does it take to finish all exams & get the license ??
my greetings ....

hey some one told u cant go directly to ndbe part1 &2 and osce exams bcoz its their choice wheather u ll get the licence or u ill hv to study for 2 more years........plz guide if anybdy hav info abt tat
thanks in advance........

lets join together for anyone taking the ClinicalSkills NDEB exam in JUne 2012 ,lets share any ideas or tips for preparation and for the day of exam.

did u get in a dental school ann k so u r not taking the exam

did u get in a dental school ann k so u r not taking the exam
i wil be interested in discussing the problems that we faced during the exams in 2011
please let me know if you are gonna take the exam and interested in discusions

i have a lot of dental material for sale, for both written and practical exam. i live in calgary, so any1 interested plz send me an e mail at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
yes definetly i am very interested to discus the skills exam problems .let me know when and how.

yes definetly i am very interested to discus the skills exam problems .let me know when and how.
Do u all want to start with discussing each procedure in detail? if yes, do u want to start with MOD amalgam prep as i believe a lot of students had problem in that??

Do u all want to start with discussing each procedure in detail? if yes, do u want to start with MOD amalgam prep as i believe a lot of students had problem in that??

the disto proximal contact was a problem area !!the contact was so wide

the disto proximal contact was a problem area !!the contact was so wide
how about the caries? was it moderate or deep? I heard from one student that the caries on proximal side was too deep therefore could not prepare proper box form..
i think marking the proximal wall before actual cutting will help in checking that it does not become wide... does anyone has experience with using a sectional (small) matrix while preparing proximal box so that one does not touch the adjacent tooth??

how about the caries? was it moderate or deep? I heard from one student that the caries on proximal side was too deep therefore could not prepare proper box form..
i think marking the proximal wall before actual cutting will help in checking that it does not become wide... does anyone has experience with using a sectional (small) matrix while preparing proximal box so that one does not touch the adjacent tooth??

in some area the caries was moderate.the tricky part was that the caries was right on the axiopulpal line angle

i didnt find the extension of caries to be a problem as long as you keep your cavity to the standard dimensions oclusally using 330 then remove the remaining caries using small round burs 1/2
in fact i used matrix to protect but using a matrix mesially can obscure the vision

but the contact was too tight sometimes that even martix wasnt going through, it may even scrape the adjacent tooth giving a feeling that you have scraped it

how to keep the 90 degree margin on the proximal cavosurface when the contact is so wide ???which bur did you use to widen the proximal box ??i was using 245 bur but at times it was gouging the lateral walls

how to keep the 90 degree margin on the proximal cavosurface when the contact is so wide ???which bur did you use to widen the proximal box ??i was using 245 bur but at times it was gouging the lateral walls
I did not give clinical skills test this time and i am practcing now for the next time exam... I have practiced only on normal teeth and need to practice on caries teeth so i do not have any experience with caries teeth...and i am also using no.245 bur to widen the proximal box.

i think this time the caries won't be so deep , the major concern with amalgam prep is to make it ideal.i had a difficult time with clearance on distal side but then i was given a D for overpreparing my ditobuccal axial wall.,I think in class 2 prep they r basically looing for the prefect class 2 amalgam shape and size with the caries removed by slow speed orund or spoon excavators.

Hi I'm new at this forum..can anyone please help by providing information about training centers in Montreal before the clinical skills exam and clinical judgement..and second question concerning the instruments..from where i get them or i can buy used ones..thanks in advance :)

Hello everyone!

I hope those who wrote the fundamental knowledge exam this year found it ok... I am getting ready to do the clinical judgement (missed it by 1%!!) and clinical skills exams again. The thought of it makes me ill.

I am going to do a training course in toronto; so hopefully that will help! I was wondering what you guys are using to study for clinical judgement? Is there an online course we can register for?

I really, really hate these exams :)

Irish Dentist:luck:

we are in the same boat paddycanuck very scared this time

Hi,
i am selling all of my equipments to prepare for the practical exam in Montreal area. please PM me for more details if you are interested :)

Hi,
I have the last year practical skill experience with 3A+, 5A (almost all preperation) and 2 fail( rubber dam & external out line of endo accesscavity):confused:. I can say that, time was O.K.(almost every day I finished 2 hours before the allocated time). I think stress management and a bit luck is the key to success. Any way I wish good luck for everyone and since I am starting school this year I am selling all my dental equipments and materials that may you need for clinical exam. I live in Vancouver & you can contact me at [email protected] .

what is best way to get a canadian green card or PR?

Do any of you know when the registration is going to open for the Clinical Judgment and Clinical Skills exams?

Can you send me information about the materials that you have for sale.

Any one in Toronto attended any program held in Toronto for clinical skill and judgment last year? Which one do you recommend?
And what do you recommend us to study for the clinical judgment exam?

I recommend Dr. Aneta's course for clinical judgement or PACE.
For clinical skills, Naresh's training centre, website: dstcdental.com or nareshdental.com

Hi Ann,

Could you please let me know where you did your clincal skills training from.

Dr Parisa; I have registered for the Ontario Simulation Clinical course and clinical judgement; I have heard very good things about this course! I am taking the April course, so I will let you know how it is after! Meanwhile, I have NO clue where to study clinical judgement from! I took the exam last year, and I had over studied for it...I actually thought it was a simple exam, but then got 64%... I don't know where or how to study for it...

hi >>
does any one know which training course provide the best service >>> Scullich or Ontario simulation center?

Hi,
I have the last year practical skill experience with 3A+, 5A (almost all preperation) and 2 fail( rubber dam & external out line of endo accesscavity):confused:. I can say that, time was O.K.(almost every day I finished 2 hours before the allocated time). I think stress management and a bit luck is the key to success. Any way I wish good luck for everyone and since I am starting school this year I am selling all my dental equipments and materials that may you need for clinical exam. I live in Vancouver & you can contact me at [email protected] .

Hey..How did you prepare for the exam? Did you join some training or practice on your own? and what about clinical judgement?

if we want to practice at home, do you know the brand name of the teeth we should practice on and the different types of typodonts .
please if anybody has any advise for this vague exam please help us
it is a good idea to discuss each procedure step by step and the materials and the ideal instruments neccessary for each procedure, by this way we are creating our own course.
how about record keeping, anybody has any idea what shoud we do for this skill?
thank you

Any clinical skills training center in Downtown Toronto ?? Other than one offered by U o T ??

Participants must supply ALL OTHER equipment, instruments and supplies needed to complete the required procedures, including but not limited to:
Handpieces and burs
Curing lights
All restorative materials including amalgam, composite resin and provisional crown materials
Gloves, masks, protective eyewear and appropriate clinic attire
Dental hand instruments
Rubber dam, frames, clamps, forceps and dental floss
Materials to place and finish restorative materials (matrix bands, matrix holders, wedges
polishing supplies, etc.)
THIS DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE... THESE PEOPLE WANT TO GET MONEY FOR NOTHING... WHY THEY DO NOT PROVIDE THESE MATERIALS FOR EXTRA COST... ANY WAY, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO BUY SUCH INSTRUMENTS....
GOOD LUCK FOR U ALL

congratulations for those who passed the AFK

Any idea of scores needed to be accepted into Dental schools in Canada ? Approx scores :confused:

You forget the most expensive cost: time. It takes time to arrange all that. It is not worth it to do that and then charge you. It is easier to put the responsibility on you.

THIS DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE... THESE PEOPLE WANT TO GET MONEY FOR NOTHING... WHY THEY DO NOT PROVIDE THESE MATERIALS FOR EXTRA COST... ANY WAY, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO BUY SUCH INSTRUMENTS....
GOOD LUCK FOR U ALL

Any tips for the Clinical Skills exam? I had a hard time. What are the chances they will ask us to prepare the same teeth? Does anyone know if the tests to enter university change their practical exams every year?

Last edited:
Any tips for the Clinical Skills exam? I had a hard time. What are the chances they will ask us to prepare the same teeth? Does anyone know if the tests to enter university change their practical exams every year?
Hi sheba can u tell me which teeth number you got for clinical exam for class II and crown prep?

Hi Jill
Can u plz guide which clinical training program is good since u hav gone through it , u can better guide us.. Wr did u get instruments from??
Thanx

Hello Sheba...I see that you did the clinical skills exam last year...I have no doubt you will do great this year. I was wondering if maybe you could help me understand the process of the exam. I passed the fundamental skills exam and am taking the clinical skills this year, who knows maybe we'll be at the same center. But I am confused with the equipment and materials we have to take. I know it may sound funny but do we have to a delivery unit to hook up the handpiece etc... or will they provide us with that? I know you may be pressed for time but if you could give us a complete list of what we actually have to buy for the clinical skills test.including the material you used. Thank you in advance, and don't worry I'm sure you'll do great this year!

Any clinical skills training center in Montreal??????

Status
Not open for further replies.