x

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonziefonz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Um that seems really low to me as well... last time I checked on the Alberta website it was higher than that. It depends on where your practice and what type of practice you have to. Maybe thats a starting figure? Cuase then it would make sense.

I graduated in 2003 and returned to Canada to practice. I can't say what income one could expect in Ontario, where the school is located, but I know that you can easily exceed 100K/year Manitoba and all points west. Many practices will guarantee 80K/year, but you will almost certianly exceed that. Some practices in northern BC and Alberta advertise for YEARS before getting an associate, and with them 150K/year ++ would be attainable.

JP

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I recently received early acceptance from the University of Waterloo for the OD program and have been wondering the same thing. I think the quoted salary on their website was a very conservative esimate. Try using www.salaryexpert.com... Typical average income is in the 120K range. Also, the job postings listed on the UW site also shows the amount people are hiring OD's for.

Good luck,

EC

here you go:

March 13 - Kingston and other areas of Ontario

Permanent Full Time or Part Time Optometrist required.
Turnkey Operation Eye Exam Clinics, Administrative Support Staff provided, Well established patient base in all clinics. We provide $150,000.00 per year Guaranteed Income based on a flexible 40 hour work week.Part Time Doctor Guarantees are prorated according to the number of hours provided. Positions Immediately available in Ontario are: Kingston, Belleville, Brockville, Ottawa, Cornwall and St.Catharines For further details please email your résumés to [email protected]

If you want to know what a position will pay, just call and ask. If possible talk to a current or past associate. If you really want to work in an area, name your price and see how that goes. When I first graduated I was talking with a practice that offered me $350/day. I told them I would think about it. I took another position that guaranteed 100K/year (ended-up making much more), and called to let them know. They asked why I didn't want the job, and I told them not enough money. They then asked what would be enough money and I told them I would not work for less than $500/day. They quilkly offered me $500/day, but of course I declined.

JP

If you want to know what a position will pay, just call and ask. If possible talk to a current or past associate. If you really want to work in an area, name your price and see how that goes. When I first graduated I was talking with a practice that offered me $350/day. I told them I would think about it. I took another position that guaranteed 100K/year (ended-up making much more), and called to let them know. They asked why I didn't want the job, and I told them not enough money. They then asked what would be enough money and I told them I would not work for less than $500/day. They quilkly offered me $500/day, but of course I declined.

JP

Thats foolish, I would have been happy happy with even 150/day..and you got offerd 500/day and declined it!!! Foolish...unless you got paid better somewhere else!

Thats foolish, I would have been happy happy with even 150/day..and you got offerd 500/day and declined it!!! Foolish...unless you got paid better somewhere else!
$150/day is like flipping burgers in Calgary.... Won't get you anywhere when you have massive student debts to service.

$150/day is like flipping burgers in Calgary.... Won't get you anywhere when you have massive student debts to service.

Ok, but if you get paid 9/hr for flipping burgers, you will make 72 a day. 150 a day is twice as much...but I guess, 50,000 is pretty low for an optometrist. An optometrist who makes 500/day gets paid 63 dollars per hour, which I think is great, however I dont think any optometrist gets paid that much in Canada, becasue the average pay is $28/hr!!!!

Hey, jefguth
Do you think (international)Optometry school $= (international)Dental school cost $ ???

thanks

You would work for $150/day after 8 years university training??? Wow...you and I are very different.

By the way, I have never made only $500/day as an associate....always more.

However, If you would be happy working for $150/day, maybe you could do some cleaning around my clinic, answer phones, get me coffee, etc.

JP

Ok, but if you get paid 9/hr for flipping burgers, you will make 72 a day. 150 a day is twice as much...but I guess, 50,000 is pretty low for an optometrist. An optometrist who makes 500/day gets paid 63 dollars per hour, which I think is great, however I dont think any optometrist gets paid that much in Canada, becasue the average pay is $28/hr!!!!

Hey, jefguth
Do you think (international)Optometry school $= (international)Dental school cost $ ???

thanks

$28/hr huh? If thats true you seriously are better off flipping burgers. Seriously. You would have to be seriously stupid to work as an OD at that rate. Take at look at the UW website, there are occasional positions that advertise $150/hr in Canada. I'm not saying $150/hr is the norm, it's prob. near the top, but $28/hr would be just pathetic.

The cost of attending dental school in the USA is MUCH more than optometry. Most of my friends in Dentistry stateside are paying upwards of $40,000USD/yr on tuition alone. Compare that with my $28,000USD/yr tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
$28/hr huh? If thats true you seriously are better off flipping burgers. Seriously. You would have to be seriously stupid to work as an OD at that rate. Take at look at the UW website, there are occasional positions that advertise $150/hr in Canada. I'm not saying $150/hr is the norm, it's prob. near the top, but $28/hr would be just pathetic.

The cost of attending dental school in the USA is MUCH more than optometry. Most of my friends in Dentistry stateside are paying upwards of $40,000USD/yr on tuition alone. Compare that with my $28,000USD/yr tuition.

You will only pay that much if you go to a private dental school, the one I hope to get in is only $8,000.

You would work for $150/day after 8 years university training??? Wow...you and I are very different.

By the way, I have never made only $500/day as an associate....always more.

However, If you would be happy working for $150/day, maybe you could do some cleaning around my clinic, answer phones, get me coffee, etc.

JP
I would seriously be glad to do this for 50,000 a year!

Really....I read something on the canadain labour market, that stated an optometrist gets paid $28/hr and dentists get paid $50 hr....are you sure that its over 28 ? Even $28 is alot, and its only 4 yrs of education. By the way, about the tuition, did you get a scholarship or something, b.c 28,000 a year seems significantly low!!!

Man, on the day I found out that optometrists get paid $28/hr I was confused, hopefully Im wrong!!! But considering their jobs, I dont think they should get paid more than $30 hr, but I probably dont know anything :)

thanks

You will only pay that much if you go to a private dental school, the one I hope to get in is only $8,000.

Sorry, to clarify, the students I'm speaking of are Canadian dental students, so either they attend private schools or pay the international tuiton at a state university.

I would seriously be glad to do this for 50,000 a year!

Really....I read something on the canadain labour market, that stated an optometrist gets paid $28/hr and dentists get paid $50 hr....are you sure that its over 28 ? Even $28 is alot, and its only 4 yrs of education. By the way, about the tuition, did you get a scholarship or something, b.c 28,000 a year seems significantly low!!!

Man, on the day I found out that optometrists get paid $28/hr I was confused, hopefully Im wrong!!! But considering their jobs, I dont think they should get paid more than $30 hr, but I probably dont know anything :)

thanks

Don't believe everything you read. Most experienced engineers easily clear $50/hr. It is definately more than $28/hr for optometrists, no one in their right mind would spend 7-8years in university for that kind of money.

No scholarship, 28grand, and thats not the most expensive one either.

But what I don't undertand is why you would think its not very much to spend like $120,000 on tuition alone to become an OD, only to slave away for $30.hr??

Don't believe everything you read. Most experienced engineers easily clear $50/hr. It is definately more than $28/hr for optometrists, no one in their right mind would spend 7-8years in university for that kind of money.

No scholarship, 28grand, and thats not the most expensive one either.

But what I don't undertand is why you would think its not very much to spend like $120,000 on tuition alone to become an OD, only to slave away for $30.hr??

I just dont know, to me 30/hr is alot, but considering the work that od's do ( I havent shadowed, but I went to my optometrist a coupe of days ago) I dont think they should get paid as much as dentists. Dentists have to actually use their hands, and if something goes wrong its usually their fault, I think, but an optometrist their is no surgery required, right ? I think opthamologists do that...but anyways, jeffguth, do you think nowadays, or 4 years into the future, the $500/day will be extremely rare, because optometry will probably be a dying profession due to saturation...Also, do you think there is a shortage of OD'S in Canada, because their is only one Candian(english speaking) optometry school.

thanks

but considering the work that od's do ( I havent shadowed, but I went to my optometrist a coupe of days ago) ...$500/day will be extremely rare, because optometry will probably be a dying profession due to saturation...
thanks

ODs are so good they make the work look easy!!!! But seriously if you only knew the theory behind "whats better one and two" or even the simple "follow my penlight" maybe you will think twice about what an easy job OD's have. They are looking for a lot more that you dont appreciate during these simple tests.

And optometry isnt a dying profession due to saturation, its dying due to many optometrist not being proactive and becoming complacent with thier current situation. The only way to rectify this is to have only have students that really love the profession and want to see it prosper rather then then "how much money can i make" or "why optometry over pharamacy/dentistry" and "how easy is optometry?"

"RDA II with ortho module needed for West end orthodontic office. Excellent wage, F/T or P/T, up to 4 days/wk, no evenings or weekends. $25+ per hour."

Even dental assistants are making over 25 dollars an hour, and the program is only 10 months in duration. You are grossly underestimating ODs.

Like I have said before, I only assumed OD's made 28/hr (avg) because thats what the canadian labour website depicted. But again, 28/hr is still pretty good...

I guess the more education you have the more money you make ?

Like I have said before, I only assumed OD's made 28/hr (avg) because thats what the canadian labour website depicted. But again, 28/hr is still pretty good...

I guess the more education you have the more money you make ?

What, are you serious? $28 CDN an hr? You really thought that? hahah In that case, you may as well not come to school in the US because you'll never be able to pay back your loans.

My optometrist sees 4-5 patients an hr. Each patient is $75 CDN.

What, are you serious? $28 CDN an hr? You really thought that? hahah In that case, you may as well not come to school in the US because you'll never be able to pay back your loans.

My optometrist sees 4-5 patients an hr. Each patient is $75 CDN.

sure...thats 75/hr ? I dont think any optometrist makes that much!!! How the heck are you suppose to see 5 patients per HOUR ? If shes running a private practice then, maybe, but I dont think commerical od's get paid that much!!!

Now that you mention it, what is the total amount of student loans for 4 years, for private schools such as ICO/NECO/PCO ? It should be between
$135000-$140000.

Also,$70000/yr = $27/hr, and this is on an optometry schools website, Waterloo. Why would they publish this, if it were not true!!!

thanks

I dont think they should get paid more than $30 hr, but I probably dont know anything :)

you've got to be kidding me. my optometrist charges $80 for an eye exam and $120 if you wear contacts. each exam is scheduled for 30 min.. so even if they only see 2 patients an hour, thats definitely over $30/hr..

have fun paying off your loans if u are only asking for $28/hr! :laugh:

sure...thats 75/hr ? I dont think any optometrist makes that much!!! How the heck are you suppose to see 5 patients per HOUR ? If shes running a private practice then, maybe, but I dont think commerical od's get paid that much!!!

Now that you mention it, what is the total amount of student loans for 4 years, for private schools such as ICO/NECO/PCO ? It should be between
$135000-$140000.

Also,$70000/yr = $27/hr, and this is on an optometry schools website, Waterloo. Why would they publish this, if it were not true!!!

thanks

First of all, 4-5 patients an hour x $75 per patient is NOT $75/hr....you forgot to multiply that $75 by 4 or 5.....

Secondly, most doctors do see at LEAST 3 patients per hour, if not more. Have you done any shadowing?

Thirdly, $27/hr is not 70,000 per year.
$27/hr x 8hrs/day= $216/day
assuming you work M-F, $216/day x 5 days/wk = $1080/wk
$1080/wk x 4wks/month= $4320
$4320/month x 12 months = only $51840 GROSS income. this isn't even taking into account taking days off for christmas, etc, and not to mention taxes.

so NO, $27/hour is no where near what an optometrist makes, nor what they should make. If you think an optometrist doesn't deserve to be paid more than this, and you'd be satisfied with this sort of income, then why go to school for 8 years and accrue so much debt (150,000+?). Might as well just get your opticianary licence.

First of all, 4-5 patients an hour x $75 per patient is NOT $75/hr....you forgot to multiply that $75 by 4 or 5.....

Secondly, most doctors do see at LEAST 3 patients per hour, if not more. Have you done any shadowing?

Thirdly, $27/hr is not 70,000 per year.
assuming you work M-F, $216/day x 5 days/wk = $1080/wk
$1080/wk x 4wks/month= $4320
$4320/month x 12 months = only $51840 GROSS income. this isn't even taking into account taking days off for christmas, etc, and not to mention taxes.

so NO, $27/hour is no where near what an optometrist makes, nor what they should make. If you think an optometrist doesn't deserve to be paid more than this, and you'd be satisfied with this sort of income, then why go to school for 8 years and accrue so much debt (150,000+?). Might as well just get your opticianary licence.

I was assuming,

assuming you work M-S, $216/day x 7 days/wk = $1512/wk
$1512/wk x 4wks/month= $6048
$6048/month x 12 months = $72 576

I didnt mean "deserve" I just meant that it seems they dont do much work, but I havent shadowed yet. Also, I too thought 27/hr was low, but not that low. $45/hr seems right

Dont OD'S have the option to work full weeks ? If not, they can always have two jobs to pay off the student debt...thats what I thought recent grads had to do in order to pay off the debt, and 50000 a yr "seemed" ok for one job.

Even if you get paid $45/hr for 5 days you will only be making $80000 !!!

And getting to a 6 figure salary, you would have to make about 51-53 dollars per hour..

But there was an ad, on UWO website, which was willing to an optometrist $150/hr!!

I would assume the only way to get upto a $50/hr mark is to have a private practice ?

thanks

you've got to be kidding me. my optometrist charges $80 for an eye exam and $120 if you wear contacts. each exam is scheduled for 30 min.. so even if they only see 2 patients an hour, thats definitely over $30/hr..

have fun paying off your loans if u are only asking for $28/hr! :laugh:

Same here, mine charges between 60-70 for an exam and 125 if you wear contacts, even more if you wear hard contacts, or if it's a medically-related appointment... no way I would go to school for so long to make 28 bucks an hour.

my dad's friend's daughter got her first job as an associate in calgary 2 years ago at 110k base salary. Making close to 130k or so now.

my dad's friend's daughter got her first job as an associate in calgary 2 years ago at 110k base salary. Making close to 130k or so now.

What!!!!....obviously not everyone can get an offer like this, other factors such as ethnicity plays a huge role.

do u not think optometrists should be getting paid that much? u obv dont know much about the profession. i dont think making 100 K is a huge surprise.

I dont know, but to me 100k/year sounds like alot. OT's make alot less, but I think they have to work harder...like I said I havent shadowed yet, but I have gone to my optometrist on numerous occasions, to get glasses and have my eyes checked. He doesnt really do that much...just asks a couple of Q's, looks at his computer, then asks more questions, then advises.

But I guess there are other people who have a greater disorder with their eyesight, and that is why the salary is substantially high. I dont even know what an opthmologist is, I think they are the ones who can do surgery on the eye, but I would except an opthamologists salary to be 100+k, not an optometrists.

What!!!!....obviously not everyone can get an offer like this, other factors such as ethnicity plays a huge role.

Curious, what are you trying to prove right now?

You have no idea about the profession. You keep talking gibberish. What's your point?

"...like I said I havent shadowed yet, but I have gone to my optometrist on numerous occasions, to get glasses and have my eyes checked. He doesnt really do that much...just asks a couple of Q's, looks at his computer, then asks more questions, then advises.

But I guess there are other people who have a greater disorder with their eyesight, and that is why the salary is substantially high. I dont even know what an opthmologist is, I think they are the ones who can do surgery on the eye, but I would except an opthamologists salary to be 100+k, not an optometrists.

For someone who admits to not knowing much about the profession, you sure insist on arguing your point (or lack thereof) quite strongly. And what does any of this have to do with ethnicity?:confused:

from salary.com

Attachments

• optometrysalary copy.gif
    optometrysalary copy.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 810
Curious, what are you trying to prove right now?

You have no idea about the profession. You keep talking gibberish. What's your point?

Comfort/Money are the only things that are important in a carreer, for me, and as far as I know an Optometrist has that, so I feel as if I dont need to learn more about the profession, though I will be forced too.

My point is, why would the government including a school publish false information. I mean, wouldnt a low salary displace students from going into optometry.

With all due respect, I didnt mean to insult future or current optometrists by saying that they should have a somewhat lower salary. The only reason why I think 100k is too much for an OD is because for the past 3 years I thought they made around 50k, or $28/hr. Now people are stating they make way more, one paricular person even gave anedotal evidence.

from salary.com

Yeah, I checked that a while ago..but I read somewhere else that salary.com exxagurates the actual salary. But their is a school, University of Waterloo, claiming that OD's make 70-80000, this was mentioned in the first post.

And another website, the canadian labour market, claiming that the average wage of an od is $28/hr.

Comfort/Money are the only things that are important in a carreer, for me, and as far as I know an Optometrist has that, so I feel as if I dont need to learn more about the profession, though I will be forced too.

You should say this during your interview; You'll be guaranteed admission. :D

thats if I get an interview, why would I not say that...obviously everyone wants comfort and money.

I dont know, but to me 100k/year sounds like alot. OT's make alot less, but I think they have to work harder...like I said I havent shadowed yet, but I have gone to my optometrist on numerous occasions, to get glasses and have my eyes checked. He doesnt really do that much...just asks a couple of Q's, looks at his computer, then asks more questions, then advises.

Okay, seriously gochi, you need to do some background reading before continue this ridiculousness. I understand that you're a first year student, and probably still a few years off from your twenties, but seriously, if you think 100K is alot of money today, then you're in for a rude awakening when you discover how much of that you lose to taxes, basic shelter, and all your other necessities. Add a family to the mix and without additional income you're probably breaking even, maybe saving a little bit for future.

Do you know how ridiculously low $28/hr is? I'll tell you; friends of mine at UW made almost that much in their engineering co-op positions!

If you need even the most simple of examples for me to illustrate this to you, here it is: This is how a Sears Optical in SW Ontario sets up their arrangement with OD's (from the mouth of a Sears Optical Manager). Doctor rents the space next to optical for $1/month. Rent includes the space, instruments, utilities, optical helps schedule patients. lets say you see 1.5 general eye exam patients per hour (which is very slow), 8hr days, 4.5 days/week, of those 70% covered by OHIP. OHIP pays ~$41/exam, private pay is a $70 bargain as set by the doctor.
Okay so that is:
12 exams/day
8.4 OHIP exams @ $41 = $344.40
3.6 private pay exam @ $70 = $252.00
Total Revenue = $596.40/day
= $2,683.80/week (4.5day work week)
= $126,140/yr (47weeks - plenty of vacation)
Gross = $126,140

Okay, so now lets talk about expenses involved in running your practice and maintaining your license.
Association Dues: ~3000 (I'm really not sure how accurate that is, but its what an OD from AB told me so I'm using it)
CE: lets say its another 3000 just b/c you're on all up on top of your stuff.
and we'll throw an extra 4000 for miscellaneous whatever.

Total Expenses: $10,000
Practice Net: $116,000

So there you have it, a six figure income based on a very slow practice, 4.5days/week, five weeks of vacation, based on low private pay exam fees, without any additional services, even contact lens fitting, and without any follow up exams you might be paid for. Since Sears is subsidizing your practice, so they can use your prescriptions to increase their own business, you expenses are low, and your NET is high.

This is just one scenario, others could go either way, but I think it demonstrates that six figures is definitely not by any means unusual in optometry.

I see, I didnt know there were going to be so many additional charges...darn.

I should really speak to an optometrist to get a better insight, but thanks for informing me !

How's school :)

You should say this during your interview; You'll be guaranteed admission. :D

haha ditto. good luck with that.

maybe ur just naiive right now, but you're not going to lead a happy life if money is your main goal.

Yeah, I checked that a while ago..but I read somewhere else that salary.com exxagurates the actual salary. But their is a school, University of Waterloo, claiming that OD's make 70-80000, this was mentioned in the first post.

And another website, the canadian labour market, claiming that the average wage of an od is $28/hr.

I have found that this above mentioned source is very unreliable to say the least. On another note, when I asked my optometrist about the income potential in this profession, he just said that he owns a luxury condo in downtown Toronto and no one else in his family works.

The way you ramble and your logic suggests you should concentrate on the flipping burgers at McD vs. optometry or dentistry. Get a life and quit flaming.

I was assuming,

assuming you work M-S, $216/day x 7 days/wk = $1512/wk
$1512/wk x 4wks/month= $6048
$6048/month x 12 months = $72 576

I didnt mean "deserve" I just meant that it seems they dont do much work, but I havent shadowed yet. Also, I too thought 27/hr was low, but not that low. $45/hr seems right

Dont OD'S have the option to work full weeks ? If not, they can always have two jobs to pay off the student debt...thats what I thought recent grads had to do in order to pay off the debt, and 50000 a yr "seemed" ok for one job.

Even if you get paid $45/hr for 5 days you will only be making $80000 !!!

And getting to a 6 figure salary, you would have to make about 51-53 dollars per hour..

But there was an ad, on UWO website, which was willing to an optometrist $150/hr!!

I would assume the only way to get upto a $50/hr mark is to have a private practice ?

thanks

However, if the OD was not at sears and had to pay for rent, equipment, and a secretary, that net income would be a lot lower.

As mentioned, the Gross would be higher if the example was a private practice, there would frame, lens, and CL sales, additional service revenue, and if the Doctor wasn't so slow that he/she was only seeing one general exam every forty minuetes there would also be greater general exam revenue. And yes, the net would be a MUCH lower percentage of the gross collections.

If you want a generalization of commercial vs. private, here it is:
Commmercial: Low Gross, high %Net
Private: High Gross, lower %Net

The reason I used the Sears example is b/c 1. it's very simple b/c Sears basically pays all the rent, equipment, secretary and 2. it's a situation familar to me b/c the Sears Optical Manager pitched it to me before I began optometry school. The real limiting factor in the example however is patient traffic. If you're going try to make a situation like that work for you, you want to be sure that the location has enough traffic for you to keep relatively busy while you're on site.

If you're worried this much, even before starting school, about what an optometrist's salary is, you probably aren't getting into it for the right reasons.

The previous wasn't directed at anyone, per se, but it calls into question where your priorities lie.

Well if you consider paying off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt after school is over a priority, then yes, salary is a priority.

Exactly. Paying for education is an investment, you are paying thousands of dollars now, with the expectation to make it back and more later. Yes, you had better like what you are going into because it's going to be your life. Yes, you had better want to help people because that is what your job will be everyday for the rest of your working days.

BUT, if I'm going to pay $170,000 for the next four years, then you bet your a** I had better be getting a payback for my time and money. Money and salary should not be the only concern, but anyone who says that it isn't a concern at all is either 1) filthy rich already, 2) getting a big inheritance, 3) has a big trust fund, 4) planning on winning the lottery, or 5) a bold faced liar.

Its always a concern when you have to pay back that much for an education. But, like you said, it should not be #1.

Debts after graduation for most ODs are, as is well known, HUGE. Many new ODs will have over 150K....some over 200K. I think placing money as a priority in searching for a practice modality is normal and neccessary. There is nothing wrong with making lots of money. Even the most altruistic among us will want to buy a house, have a vehicle, eat good food, and provide for our families.

JP

With all due respect, I didnt mean to insult future or current optometrists by saying that they should have a somewhat lower salary. The only reason why I think 100k is too much for an OD is because for the past 3 years I thought they made around 50k, or $28/hr. Now people are stating they make way more, one paricular person even gave anedotal evidence.

So because YOU thought OD's make less, that means we're getting paid too much? Did you even know we have 4 yrs of school at $27,000/yr?

Stop applying to OD schools and go buy lottery tickets.