MD Canadian or US path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLovee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning. So, I'm an international student (not from Canada or US) doing her undergrad at a top canadian university and planning to go to med school either in Canada or US. I would like to know if it would be wiser for me to go to med school in US or Canada.

Actually, i would like to talk to some international persons who are either AMG or CMG to know more about how they did manage to get residencies et deal with visa issues.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no such thing as a top Canadian university I wish people would stop using U.S terminology for Canada - that really grinds my gears. Even McGill or Toronto are not considered "top" by Canadians and has no bearing on medical school or job outlook.

You cannot apply to medical school in Canada unless you are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident (exception Mcgill+ Toronto) are you a permanent resident/citizen?

Whats wiser? well if you are a canadian citizen/resident and you want to practice in canada medical school in canada seems best.
If u want to practice in U.S then medical school in U.S seems best.

Canadian medical schools are harder to get into than U.S medical schools
U.S medical schools cost more to get attend.

McGill, Toronto and UMontréal accept international students.

Wiser in terms of residencies. I mean what is the % of Canadians medical grads left Unmatched, and the % of AMG unmatched.

Can CMG apply for residencies in the US ? How difficult is that for them to get a spot ?

Members don't see this ad :)

Wiser in terms of residencies. I mean what is the % of Canadians medical grads left Unmatched, and the % of AMG unmatched.

Can CMG apply for residencies in the US ? How difficult is that for them to get a spot ?

There are very few spots for international students in Canada - very unlikely for you to get one of the few spots.

What are you stats? Without knowing any details of your application we can't say anything useful on your chances.

Yes CMGs can apply for residency in the US, but if you want a US residency- got to a US school. Makes more sense to go to medical school where you want to do residency -more streamlined.

More likely than not, if you have a competitive application, the US will be your better bet.

Reactions: 1 user

Umontreal does NOT accept international applicants
  • have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status to the deadline for the filing of the application for admission or comply with the provisions of Government Decree concerning the admission of international applicants."
    • be a resident of Quebec to the deadline for the filing of the application or comply with Quebec-New Brunswick agreement, Quebec Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, Quebec or a francophone resident a province (or territory) where Canadian medical studies are not available in French
    Technically they do but must you must meet special government mandates - have you even looked into this?
If you only care about %of CMG/AMG matching they are both the same - very high
both have the same problems (schools increasing enrollment, residency spots not moving, FMG/IMG taking up residency spots) but as long as you are a good student who is not too picky about where they match then getting a residency is still no problem in either country.
as UBC2014 said, if u want cad residency, go cad med school. if you want US residency, go US medical school. US has more spots for internationals than Canada, far more so going to medical school in U.S is your best bet.

Read carefully about what those schools in Canada say about internationals. A quick search on Utoronto says that international applicants are considered just like any normal applicant, whereas Umontreal says you msut have some special government decree or something.

Also understand that even as a CMG i don't think you are eligible for the CaRMS if you do not have at least permanent residency status, whereas with NRMP you can still participate even without a green card as long as you have a visa

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Umontreal does NOT accept international applicants
  • have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status to the deadline for the filing of the application for admission or comply with the provisions of Government Decree concerning the admission of international applicants."
    • be a resident of Quebec to the deadline for the filing of the application or comply with Quebec-New Brunswick agreement, Quebec Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, Quebec or a francophone resident a province (or territory) where Canadian medical studies are not available in French
    Technically they do but must you must meet special government mandates - have you even looked into this?
If you only care about %of CMG/AMG matching they are both the same - very high
both have the same problems (schools increasing enrollment, residency spots not moving, FMG/IMG taking up residency spots) but as long as you are a good student who is not too picky about where they match then getting a residency is still no problem in either country.
as UBC2014 said, if u want cad residency, go cad med school. if you want US residency, go US medical school. US has more spots for internationals than Canada, far more so going to medical school in U.S is your best bet.

Read carefully about what those schools in Canada say about internationals. A quick search on Utoronto says that international applicants are considered just like any normal applicant, whereas Umontreal says you msut have some special government decree or something.

Also understand that even as a CMG i don't think you are eligible for the CaRMS if you do not have at least permanent residency status, whereas with NRMP you can still participate even without a green card as long as you have a visa

Okay thank you. I think I'll focus more on US then.