Canadian pharmacist in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spritzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'll be a Canadian student going to pharm school in the US. Does anybody have any info on what it's like after graduation for working and remaining there for a Canadian citizen with an American degree?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'll be a Canadian student going to pharm school in the US. Does anybody have any info on what it's like after graduation for working and remaining there for a Canadian citizen with an American degree?

Thanks

Nope

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you just here on a student visa (ie not a permanent legal resident), or will you need a work visa? If you require a work visa, well from what I understand, very few are given out to pharmacists these days, so you probably won't get one. If you are already a permanent legal resident, then your chances of getting a job are the same as any other pharmacists.

TN visa. You don't need "sponsorship (H1B visa - a long a5s process that no employer wants to deal with and cost a lot of money $5-10k/person)". All you need is a job offer and you can work in USA. As a Canadian, your chance of getting a job here is equal to an American citizen; you can stay as long as you want til you die without having a problem and still keep your Canadian citizenship. (TN can be renewed every year indefinitely).

How do you not know this as a Canadian -_-;?

Last edited:
Thanks! BidingMyTime- I'd be on an F-1 visa for the 4 years of school.
Momus- right, but I think my main concern would be getting that job in order to get the visa in the first place (vs being passed over for an American with the same degree). Do you know how easily the TN visa is given? I read a bit about it and seems like it's really up to the discretion of the officer you get at the border to let you in or not.

As long as you have an employer to write you a job offer letter that should be sufficient (really easy to do, not like H1B requirements). Basically, as long as you apply for a job and get the job, just like a regular American...

Thanks! BidingMyTime- I'd be on an F-1 visa for the 4 years of school.
Momus- right, but I think my main concern would be getting that job in order to get the visa in the first place (vs being passed over for an American with the same degree). Do you know how easily the TN visa is given? I read a bit about it and seems like it's really up to the discretion of the officer you get at the border to let you in or not.

I think your chances against an American at getting a job would be equal. Do you speak French? Being a bilingual pharmacist would also give you an edge (although probably not as much as if you knew Spanish)

Thanks again! BidingMyTime- I know a little bit of both but I wouldn't say working proficiency for either...
Another thing is I'm not sure I want to go for a residency or not yet, but I do want that option available for me. I haven't researched too much into this yet but I've read that not all positions are open to international (even though I'm just Canadian) students.

I'm running into the issue of needing to write my Naplex. Fortunately I have a job offer, unfortunately, i need an SSN to write my naplex, and get a liscence. Help?

@Momus: TN status for pharmacists (actually it's in general) is up in the air for all three sides. I suggested the OPT exception right now without a job offer, and if OP gets it, to think about getting TN vs green card status. The major difference is TN status signifies "intent" to return to the home country at some point (and applications for permanent residency are uniformly denied in all three countries from TN visa status) and green card permanent residency allows right of abode sooner or later. If the US decides to implement the NAFTA withdrawal procedure, TN visas expire at three years or time left, whichever is shorter without another bilateral agreement. It doesn't matter for you since you're on your way out laughing your way to the bank, but for a new practitioner, it's not a good draw.

Kind of the context for this exchange, Canada's health, IT, and scientists got brain drained to the US, and US oil and material scientists got access to Canadian sand. The US has a similar relationship with Mexico, where the US prioritizes natural resources access over professional training.

The other thing is that with either status (F1 OPT or TN), you can get an SSN from the US as needed for applications. Either or condition work.