Canadian Pharmacist in the USA - Degree Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm101909

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and was hoping someone may be able to give me guidance. I completed pharmacy school in Canada and graduated with a Bachelors in Pharmacy (5 year program), which is the standard in Canada. I moved to the USA several years ago and started the process to be licensed here. I have become licensed to practice in the US and am practicing as a pharmacist. When I apply for jobs, they request PharmD or RPh, as these are the accepted degrees in the USA. All of my paperwork at work, including name badge, says "PharmD" even though I have explained (and written on all paperwork) that I have a BSP. Additionally, many pharmacies were confused about my degree when I applied, questioning whether my education was equivalent to PharmD. A similar situation arises when foreign medical graduates come to the USA with degrees such as MBBS, and in that case, they are considered "MD" in the US.

Are there any other foreign pharmacy graduates who would be able to help with this matter? Should I write my degree as PharmD from now on? I do not know how else to explain my degree when applying for jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are licensed in a US state without a PharmD you'd be an RPh. Prior to the 90's the BSPharm (also a 5 year program) was the minimum degree required to be licensed (the PharmD existed but was optional). Many practicing pharmacists have a BSPharm and typically go by RPh. I'd assume the same would be true for you as well. Honestly, so long as you're a licensed pharmacist you can provide your license to the job and they'll know you should be able to work (assuming you're authorized as an individual to work in the US). States handle licensing individually but for most you can take the MPJE for another state and reciprocate your license to where you want to move to if you get a job in another state. If I was in your shoes I'd just tell them you're a foreign pharmacy grad holding a state license, the license is the main thing that matters as that's what permits you to work as a pharmacist, not the degree.

Thank you for your help! I will go by RPh, I've been using BSP and it's caused a lot of confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rph = Licensed pharmacist
PharmD = Licensed pharmacist with doctorate

Rph = Licensed pharmacist
PharmD = Licensed pharmacist with doctorate

Not to split hairs, but that's not completely accurate. Yes, RPh does mean that someone is a "Licensed Pharmacist". However, PharmD does not imply licensure, it only means that someone holds a "Doctorate of Pharmacy" degree. You can graduate from pharmacy school, earn your PharmD, and never sit for the NAPLEX/MPJE and thus never actually be licensed. Probably rare, but just clearing that up.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and was hoping someone may be able to give me guidance. I completed pharmacy school in Canada and graduated with a Bachelors in Pharmacy (5 year program), which is the standard in Canada. I moved to the USA several years ago and started the process to be licensed here. I have become licensed to practice in the US and am practicing as a pharmacist. When I apply for jobs, they request PharmD or RPh, as these are the accepted degrees in the USA. All of my paperwork at work, including name badge, says "PharmD" even though I have explained (and written on all paperwork) that I have a BSP. Additionally, many pharmacies were confused about my degree when I applied, questioning whether my education was equivalent to PharmD. A similar situation arises when foreign medical graduates come to the USA with degrees such as MBBS, and in that case, they are considered "MD" in the US.

Are there any other foreign pharmacy graduates who would be able to help with this matter? Should I write my degree as PharmD from now on? I do not know how else to explain my degree when applying for jobs.

Hey! Would you be able to help me? I'm a Canadian Pharmacist, graduated from a US Pharm D program. How was the process of obtaining all the documents needed to move to the US? How did you get an SSN?