Canadian Student and U.S. Residency Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

As of now, I am a Canadian pre-medicine student at an American University. I am about to enter my sophomore year, and I have been thinking about the hurdles I will soon face with regards to me being Canadian. If anyone can give me a sure answer, it would be great!

I look forward to applying to both Canadian and U.S. medical schools, however, I am thinking ahead towards applying for residency after med school. I understand that if I apply and get accepted to a Canadian medical school, that I will most likely do my residency in Canada as well, which will be no problem since I am a permanent resident here.

Firstly, if I complete med school in the U.S., can I then get into Canadian residency programs? Is there a hurdle associated with where I graduate from med school and where I want to do residency?

Also, if I graduate from my U.S. institution (Wayne State University), can I then easily apply to canadian med schools and residency programs with no problems? I always thought so since I am a permanent Canadian resident.

I am sort of distraught. What do you guys suggest is the best course of action? (Being a Canadian at a U.S. university, willing to go to Canadian or U.S. med schools) I am thinking ahead for residency placement here.

Thanks for your time, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You will 100% have an easier time (fewer hurdles) getting in to a residency program in the same country that you completed your medical school education in.

If you would like to attend a US institution, your best bet is to try and establish residency in Michigan and apply for a green card as soon as you can. It may be impossible to do this as a student, but depending on whether you wanted to take a gap year or two, you may be able to pull it off...others have.

As far as which degrees would allow you what kind of opportunities, I suggest you use the power of Google and the Internet at large. While the SDN community may be able to help you out by sharing their experiences about the types of difficulties you may come across, they aren't going to do your research for you. If you are interested in certain schools, you should go on the websites for those schools and do some reading. Since you are a current student at Wayne, you can also wander into the admissions office and chat with the lovely receptionist - she's a gem!

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy undergrad!

Wayne accepts lots of Canadian students so you have a pretty good shot there.