Canadian Student Applying to States. 3.94 cGPA, 34S MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxcvzxcv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Wondering what my chances are at the top American schools. I know that some schools like Harvard and Hopkins are reaches for me, but what about others, such as Brown?

3.965 sGPA
3.9 AO GPA
34S MCAT (12 BS, 10 VR, 12 PS)

ECs:

-many hours of research (no pubs)
-tutoring
-varsity sport
-long-time hockey player
-exec of 1 club
-charity work
-some other stuff

Below is my tentative list of schools. What do you all think?

Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Harvard
Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Brown
Cornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Way too top heavy, but I guess that's the point if you're just giving it a shot for fun. As a non-US citizen with a 34 I think these will all be an uphill battle for you, but maybe I'm a pessimist. Have you double checked that all these schools take international applicants?

Also, since you asked: chances at Brown not great as they are known for largely taking internal applicants.

yeah, i made it top-heavy on purpose. It not really worth me going to the US unless its at a really good school. Ontarian medical schools are very good (I'm from Ontario). I have checked that all these schools take international applicants, but I am definitely going to double-check before I submit.

I figured I would have a decent shot at Brown, because the MSAR quotes them at a median of 11 for each section of the MCAT with Q writing and a 3.75 cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just double checked. All of the schools listed above do indeed take international students.

Does anyone think that there are some good schools that I have a shot at and am missing from my list? Maybe Keck at USC?
Or schools that I have absolutely no chance at and should remove from my list?

Last edited:
yeah, i made it top-heavy on purpose. It not really worth me going to the US unless its at a really good school. Ontarian medical schools are very good (I'm from Ontario). I have checked that all these schools take international applicants, but I am definitely going to double-check before I submit.

I figured I would have a decent shot at Brown, because the MSAR quotes them at a median of 11 for each section of the MCAT with Q writing and a 3.75 cGPA.

When it comes to top schools like these, median MCAT/GPA stats really don't indicate whether or not you have a "decent shot." It means people with these stats get in, but most have incredible ECs. Brown looks for unique candidates, as they have very few spots available.

Unless you are willing to pay a lot of money despite the low odds, I'd really work on shortening this list, especially as you really like the Ontarian schools anyway.

They only matriculated 4/3999 international applicants, though. I guess it's not 0!

When it comes to top schools like these, median MCAT/GPA stats really don't indicate whether or not you have a "decent shot." It means people with these stats get in, but most have incredible ECs. Brown looks for unique candidates, as they have very few spots available.

Unless you are willing to pay a lot of money despite the low odds, I'd really work on shortening this list, especially as you really like the Ontarian schools anyway.

Interesting. Thanks.