Canadian thinking about Poland/Eastern Europe (non EU). Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habromania1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Canadian, graduating this year with mediocre 3.5 GPA (3.9 in each of two last years).

Last MCAT rewrite scored me a 127/128/129/128.

ECs are average - founded group, group member, two conference presentations (one unknown, one very major upcoming), worked as (clinical) research assistant on two different studies for 3 years, teaching assistant, a few months volunteering abroad at orphanage in europe, lifelong karate + folk dance, no awards apart from Dean's list + entrance scholarship

*I'm in the process of getting a staff/writer editorial position for good bioethics journal + working as volunteer for crisis hotline + plus working at mental health centre this summer; I have also been shortlisted for an essay award but we shall see. I have applied to MPH masters but acceptance seems unlikely.

Anyway, I am planning on rewriting my MCAT one last time to see if I meet the incredibly high cut offs for two Canadian schools that are lenient towards my GPA. However, I cannot guarantee that I will meet this cut-off and I have rewritten it a few times as is, so my chances for US schools are decreasing.

I think I am competitive enough for acceptance to a DO program (although I have a C- in physics so I'll retake), but I couldn't afford it. I don't have any family support or personal savings and I think the four years would not be feasible on bank + student loans. Same goes for UK (probably not competitive enough), AUS, and Ireland (impossible if I can't even afford US).

Yes, I am competitive for law + other health programs given that I've completed the respective standardized tests and scored much, much better than I have on the MCAT, but medicine is really my passion. I suppose I could reconcile myself to studying law in Canada and going from there, but my desire to be a physician is so visceral that...yeah. At this point, I just want to learn, get the degree, and be able to practice. I want to be a physician, and it doesn't matter where. Unlike other applicants, I don't need to come back to Canada and, quite honestly, there's not much keeping me here.

So. I am eligible for citizenship for Eastern European countries (i.e. Serbia and Bosnia) but these are not EU. I don't know when, if ever, they will be in the EU, so there's no point of banking on that. Nonetheless, I'm not opposed to attending school there, but it is 6 years (I'm too old for fresh outta high school kids!) and I'll have much less mobility and opportunity. If Canada isn't an option, my dream would be practicing in the EU (either UK or France - I speak fluent french). Again, if that really is my only chance at becoming a physician, I suppose I could remain and work in either Serbia or Bosnia because of citizenship.

Poland seems like a slightly better option. Specifically Jag. I've scored ~50 on their pre-interview score, so I'm confident enough that I could gain admission post interview. The fact that they have rotations in California (and Rochester NY, maybe?) seems very appealing. After residency in the US, I would try to come back to Canada. However, in the case that I do not match back to US/Canada, I'm sure I could pass the licensing exams to stay on for residency in Poland - I already find the language pretty intelligible due to my Serbo-Croat. Of course, this would be far from ideal since carving a life out for myself in US, Canada, UK is a much more appealing options, but I would manage.

The greatest pro for Poland is that, outside of Canada and Serbia, it is the most affordable option in my financial situation. And, most important, it seems like I can stay there for residency and be relieved that I will not have thrown ~100-150k out the window should I not match. Frankly, it's starting to seem like if I don't get into Canada I will have to abandon medicine unless I go through with Poland and/or Serbia.

What do you guys think? Should I go through with Poland immediately? Wait one more round? Should I apply to DO regardless and hope to figure out funding? What about Ireland or UK? I am currently dating an EU/UK citizen (long term), so maybe that could be an advantage in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello habromania1,
I just want to give you some broader perspective.
Studying in European union is better since you get internationally recognised degree and you can work with in any country of EU /thanks to Bologna process.
There are plenty of good medical school in Central Europe - Czech republic has Charles University or Masaryk University, in Hungary there are universities in Budapest, Debrecen or Pecs, good Unis are also in Slovakia and Poland. Tuition fees are comparable in CE region - 9000-11000€ per one study year, depends on program and university.
The most important is to get your application done (especially in terms of validation of your school leaving diploma, which is quite long process) and preparation for entrance examination. Even if you do not like your uni in Europe, nothing is lost - universities run under ECTS system, so you can transfer your studies to another university (conditions varies).
If any questions, let me know:)
Peter

Before this thread gets riddled with more ads, thought i'd leave my $0.02.
If you're considering Poland, I'd definitely choose Jag. They post a match list every year, and they're always in the 60-70% range. Not great odds obviously, but they're the most transparent and highly regarded school in Poland. Also, if you're open to learning Polish, i'd do that! You can't get your medical license in Poland without passing a Polish language proficiency exam. Something else to keep in mind that if you're a non-EU graduating from Poland, you won't get an internship in Ireland/UK etc.
Look into the UK citizenship option further as well. From what i know, they require you to stay there for 3 years (non-school years) before you can even apply for UK citizenship. It's not one of those citizenships you can get (by the time you graduate) by marrying someone during med school.
I know Poland seems like a great option for you considering how much the tuition is, but keep in mind that Polish docs don't make as much. It might take you a while to pay off loans etc. with a Polish doc salary...that's assuming that you end up staying there of course.

Good luck with your decision!