Canadian Universities 2012-13 (International dentists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asprin84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I tried finding threads for international dentists trying to get into Canadian universities, but there is nothing out there.
Let's start a thread for FTD in Canada who want to get into the Canadian universities and share knowledge and experiences on
1. Resume
2. Personal statement
3. Prior learning assessment for various universities
4. Interview plans and accommodations.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all
I tried finding threads for international dentists trying to get into Canadian universities, but there is nothing out there.
Let's start a thread for FTD in Canada who want to get into the Canadian universities and share knowledge and experiences on
1. Resume
2. Personal statement

Thanks

Hey Aspirin84 !

I'm glad you started this thread. All of SDN Dental is flooded with information about US Dental Schools. I hardly find any seniors giving inputs regarding Canadian Universities. WE are NOT seeking help regarding RANKING of Canadian Univ , nor are we looking into PROS n CONS of a particular University...but atleast a little input regarding their - Selection process, Interviews ,etc. will be greatly appreciated.

So all you FTD's out there who made it to a Canadian Univ last admission cycle. Please guide us ! :)

Thank you and Good Luck :thumbup:

Hey Aspirin84 !

I'm glad you started this thread. All of SDN Dental is flooded with information about US Dental Schools. I hardly find any seniors giving inputs regarding Canadian Universities. WE are NOT seeking help regarding RANKING of Canadian Univ , nor are we looking into PROS n CONS of a particular University...but atleast a little input regarding their - Selection process, Interviews ,etc. will be greatly appreciated.

So all you FTD's out there who made it to a Canadian Univ last admission cycle. Please guide us ! :)

Thank you and Good Luck :thumbup:

Hey dmd94 how did u prepare for PLA? I mean are u going to any clinical class? I am not sure how to prepare and which class to take. UoT , UWO clinical class or OSTC or Naresh

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,

This is what thread i am actually looking for. Good initiative Aspirin84.

I am planning just for university this year also want to rank university according to my suitability but very little is discussed or shared by anyone. I want to prepare for PLA by myself only and looking for study partner to whom i can often talk and discussed progress. I live in toronto.

Also i request senior fellows to share information on University specific preparation information.

please pm me on [email protected] to make group.

Hey dmd94 how did u prepare for PLA? I mean are u going to any clinical class? I am not sure how to prepare and which class to take. UoT , UWO clinical class or OSTC or Naresh

Hello there,

This is what thread i am actually looking for. Good initiative Aspirin84.

I am planning just for university this year also want to rank university according to my suitability but very little is discussed or shared by anyone. I want to prepare for PLA by myself only and looking for study partner to whom i can often talk and discussed progress. I live in toronto.

Also i request senior fellows to share information on University specific preparation information.

please pm me on [email protected] to make group.

Aspirin84 and V R DDS .. good to get in touch with you guys. well, I haven't started preparing for PLA yet.. I live in Toronto too. Aspirin ..where r u from ?

Guys I am from Manitoba but will be coming to Toronto in May end for vacation. we can meet then and discuss till then let's start with what all is tested on the PLA, what instruments do we need to prepare at home and where to buy those from

I have facebook friends on who are appearing for universities so u guys want to join us on facebook or i should ask them to join SDN?

Hi all
1. Resume
2. Personal statement

Thanks

Hi is it true that one should be a permanent resident of canada to join a canadian university for DDS?

Hi is it true that one should be a permanent resident of canada to join a canadian university for DDS?

yes it is.. you need to be permanent resident as last time i checked which was couple weeks ago. you need to have a PR status in order to apply.

Hi all
1. Resume
2. Personal statement

Thanks

So far what i have noticed that canadain universties have ofcourse different requirments according to thier program for application but you need to make sure if chosen for an interview you know what your PS and your resume. Universities appericiates any kind of volunteer work so make sure if you have done it include it in you CV or PS.. the questions come from you PS and resume.. sometime its is situational questions as well. but as i siad the stule changes everytime.. if you know yourself well you should not have any troble passing the interview phase....

I have also noticed that sometime they ask for proof for something that you mentioned in you PS so make sure you have it....Some students have problem with communicating in English bcz it is thier second language if that is the case you should start practicing like talking to your friends in English listen to English news. the more you practice, it is better.

Good luck...

I understand that the average interview score for interviewed applicants is ~28/35 for some schools.

I'm just looking at some interview questions and I'm thinking for a lot of scenarios that my answers are similar to what an average normal individual would do, i.e. show integrity, sensitivity, good judgement etc.. So i'm starting to worry that normal common sense answers just aren't good enough.

Here is someone's idea about answering the questions:

"Rather than trying to think of something else that hasn't been said, just take your time and really think things through. Think from all the perspectives involved and consequences of your actions. A well thought out and well articulated answer will follow. What WOULD you do given that situation? I think that if you try to say things that you think they will want to hear, you may come off insincere and rehearsed. They want to get to know you!"

I think it is impossible to have all the time to think very well during interviews. Looks like people that have done beforehand research on the interview questions made it through. So, I have a request: if you are willing to join in and share the cost of an interview pack with explained questions, please pm me asap.

During the CDA interview for UofT the following were confirmed by other students to be true.

1. they usually ask about 3-4 behavioural and 3-4 situational
2. when answering a question, you want to hit as many competencies as possible. Say you only hit 1 or 2 competencies for a given question, but you really hit them well with a great example, it gives you the same score as hitting 3-4 competencies with so-so examples.
3. For behavioural questions, if you get a question that you can't think of an example for, and you say something like "hmm I can't think of anything, but if that did happen to me I would do this...blah blah." you still get a decent score.
4. For those who used interview pack, if you go through all 200 behavioural questions you will pretty much be covered. You should expect to pretty much get the same questions from schools as the ones in the pack.

Again pm me with your email if interested. Knowing the questions and what competencies they cover is critical, there is no time to guess during the interview.Tnx.

I understand that the average interview score for interviewed applicants is ~28/35 for some schools.

I'm just looking at some interview questions and I'm thinking for a lot of scenarios that my answers are similar to what an average normal individual would do, i.e. show integrity, sensitivity, good judgement etc.. So i'm starting to worry that normal common sense answers just aren't good enough.

Here is someone's idea about answering the questions:

"Rather than trying to think of something else that hasn't been said, just take your time and really think things through. Think from all the perspectives involved and consequences of your actions. A well thought out and well articulated answer will follow. What WOULD you do given that situation? I think that if you try to say things that you think they will want to hear, you may come off insincere and rehearsed. They want to get to know you!"

I think it is impossible to have all the time to think very well during interviews. Looks like people that have done beforehand research on the interview questions made it through. So, I have a request: if you are willing to join in and share the cost of an interview pack with explained questions, please pm me asap.

During the CDA interview for UofT the following were confirmed by other students to be true.

1. they usually ask about 3-4 behavioural and 3-4 situational
2. when answering a question, you want to hit as many competencies as possible. Say you only hit 1 or 2 competencies for a given question, but you really hit them well with a great example, it gives you the same score as hitting 3-4 competencies with so-so examples.
3. For behavioural questions, if you get a question that you can't think of an example for, and you say something like "hmm I can't think of anything, but if that did happen to me I would do this...blah blah." you still get a decent score.
4. For those who used interview pack, if you go through all 200 behavioural questions you will pretty much be covered. You should expect to pretty much get the same questions from schools as the ones in the pack.

Again pm me with your email if interested. Knowing the questions and what competencies they cover is critical, there is no time to guess during the interview.Tnx.

Hi
so wha is this book? and I would like to share it

Any one preparing in Manitoba plz get in touch..

Members don't see this ad :)
Also what do u guys think PLA is the most difficult part? I am scared the unis are testing a lot I mean even more than ACS exam. So we have to work on both PLA n interview

guys did u see the UBC stats??? those are really poor. How many of us have 90 on AFK??

q1) tell me something about yourself.
How do you answer this?
I am a foreign trained dentist with so and so experience?

did anyone have experience applying to U of Toronto
they have written minimum requirement of 3 GPA out of 4
how do they calculate the GPA
in our college they rarely gave marks above 60% the top mark is 62-65%
mine is definitely below 60% how much would it be in their scale.

they will calculate it themselves from our transcripts. I don't know exactly how they do that

I am new to this site.. I happy to follow the thread and get information about canda universities. I have applied for AFK exam 2013.. I am indian trained dentist.. I dont stay in canda. Can any one guide me how all this registration process works? How to apply for courses? When should i move to canda? I am not aware n feel like walking a dark path. Can anyone guide me? What is PLA exam?

I am new to this site.. I happy to follow the thread and get information about canda universities. I have applied for AFK exam 2013.. I am indian trained dentist.. I dont stay in canda. Can any one guide me how all this registration process works? How to apply for courses? When should i move to canda? I am not aware n feel like walking a dark path. Can anyone guide me? What is PLA exam?

first of all if you are a PR plz attend CIIP arranged by Canadian govt in India, if not then visit NDEB.ca for full information. PLA is an exam if you want o attend the university, they test ur clinical skills.

Hi all
1. Resume
2. Personal statement

Thanks
A Information great for me.:laugh:

Hey Asprin84 .. are you planning on applying to UBC ?

I still don't have all my documents so not sure but I am trying, if I miss any document, I would not apply.. The fees of UBC is huge.

hi,
i cannot share my personal experience yet, but as i heard from other people they take into account the fundam knowledge score and english tests. i'm wondering how are they going to calculate gpa in my case because we had completely different system of evaluation? did you?

hi,
i cannot share my personal experience yet, but as i heard from other people they take into account the fundam knowledge score and english tests. i'm wondering how are they going to calculate gpa in my case because we had completely different system of evaluation? did you?

Uof Toronto

hi,

Hi dera friends,
Is there anyone in Mississauga or Toronto who's preparing for 2013 exam?
I looking for study group to share experiance and planing to study this year

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
HEY ! I HVE COMPLETED MY BDS IN INDIA & m planning to go 2 canada 4 dental assisting course !after doin d course m plannin 4 afk !shuld i go 4 d course? need advise!!

HEY ! I HVE COMPLETED MY BDS IN INDIA & m planning to go 2 canada 4 dental assisting course !after doin d course m plannin 4 afk !shuld i go 4 d course? need advise!!
LEAP YEAR, i think you should take a course when you pass the AFK or at least know when you are taking it.

hi ,
can you please tell me did you get the orignal official transcript of marks from the university?because they are giving me hard time...they said they wont give me the original instead attest the photocopy?please tell me how you got that?

does any1 knows of any CDs that teach us how to do clinical procedures??
thanks

Hi everyone. I am studying for AFK 2013. Would like to know which books to study from apart from Kaplan and mosby. Also could any tell me about this classes by "Naresh." I reside in Toronto presently.

hey google it,u'l find it for sure, he's famous lol i think he charges less and provides more classes than the leading instructors

Hi everyone. I am studying for AFK 2013. Would like to know which books to study from apart from Kaplan and mosby. Also could any tell me about this classes by "Naresh." I reside in Toronto presently.
Naresh is a douche.. don't go to him... he will take your money and not give you receipts and will also not open the rooms where you practice on time.... he gives you the run around if you want receipts for your money.... make sure you get your receipt when you pay..his usual excuse is that his printer is not working....

by the way if he tries to sell you a dental unit for $1500, don't get it from him... he actually gets it for $400 from a chinese supplier ... you can contact them directly here - http://www.dynamicgroup.cn/pro-dtl.asp?id=pdr&idtree=OFF0OFF4OFF11OFF46OFF

I went to him and had a terrible time.. i had to buy my own unit and practice at home.. it was a waste of $3500...

hey Aspirin donot go to Naresh.. i wasted my time and money with him.. If you are from manitoba.. contact the uni of manitoba dental department.. they have a much better training program for foreign dentists to prepare for the exams.....

Hello.I am foreign dentist.I am looking for study partner for prepare exam NBDE part 1 .Can you please help me what books I need read ....My e-mail [email protected].

Hey Dima Dentist !

You might want to try another thread in relation to your interest. NBDE licensure exam threads will be the most appropriate ones...

Good luck :thumbup:

Naresh is a douche.. don't go to him... he will take your money and not give you receipts and will also not open the rooms where you practice on time.... he gives you the run around if you want receipts for your money.... make sure you get your receipt when you pay..his usual excuse is that his printer is not working....

by the way if he tries to sell you a dental unit for $1500, don't get it from him... he actually gets it for $400 from a chinese supplier ... you can contact them directly here - http://www.dynamicgroup.cn/pro-dtl.asp?id=pdr&idtree=OFF0OFF4OFF11OFF46OFF

I went to him and had a terrible time.. i had to buy my own unit and practice at home.. it was a waste of $3500...

o wao! thax 4 sharing ur experience with us

hey Aspirin donot go to Naresh.. i wasted my time and money with him.. If you are from manitoba.. contact the uni of manitoba dental department.. they have a much better training program for foreign dentists to prepare for the exams.....

yea there is no program at all in Manitoba,, not in the university, not with dental association