Canadian with 30 MCAT sGPA: 3.83

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadian555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that I have a chance applying for DO, but was wondering if there would be any chance applying to any US MD programs at all/lower tier.

I'm unfamiliar with the different GPAs, is cGPA looked at more favourably while the sGPA is looked at with a much smaller weight? I don't know off hand what my cGPA is as the school year is not over but I'm pretty sure it would be lower, around 3.76.

ECs aren't fantastic, no papers, a poster presentation, some experience working in various labs. Clubs, school involvement, volunteering/charities, working, some job shadowing, an award, intramurals, good LOR.

I know that the MCAT is low and they're both not extremely competitive (especially as an 'international) but would it be a complete write-off applying still? Do you have any suggestions of which schools it is worth a shot applying to?

Thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that I have a chance applying for DO, but was wondering if there would be any chance applying to any US MD programs at all/lower tier.

I'm unfamiliar with the different GPAs, is cGPA looked at more favourably while the sGPA is looked at with a much smaller weight? I don't know off hand what my cGPA is as the school year is not over but I'm pretty sure it would be lower, around 3.76.

ECs aren't fantastic, no papers, a poster presentation, some experience working in various labs. Clubs, school involvement, volunteering/charities, working, some job shadowing, an award, intramurals, good LOR.

I know that the MCAT is low and they're both not extremely competitive (especially as an 'international) but would it be a complete write-off applying still? Do you have any suggestions of which schools it is worth a shot applying to?

Thanks for all of your help!
I won't say your chances at US MD are zero, but keeping in mind that the average Canadian US matriculant has an MCAT of 33 and terrific ECs, you'd be well advised to spend an extra year beefing up your activities to have a viable shot at less-selective schools like Rosalind Franklin, Buffalo, maybe Wayne, and a few others I don't recall off hand.