Canadians attending American Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rondo22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a canadian student (from ontario) who recently has been accepted to an American School (UDM). Thus, I am looking to start getting any papers required to be an american student. I was wondering if there are any canadians out there, who have been through the process, that would help by telling me which papers I need to get.

Thanks for your time in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian attending an American school; what papers do you mean exactly?

I'm guess what Rondo means is getting visas, loans and other "paperwork" that needs to be done before making the big move

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I have heard that I need an american student VISA, as well as I need to file something called an I-20 when I cross the border? Thats just what I heard, if you guys could clear this up and elaborate I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again for your time !

yep, I 20 will be given to you by your school and you will need this form whenever you enter back into U.S. Also, you will need a I 94 card that you can get when you are getting your boarding card; you'll need to fill it out and the customs people will staple it to your passport. If you're crossing the border from windsor then i'm not exactly sure what the protocol would be for the I 94 card; but the I 20 form you definitely get from UDM. :)

Thanks for the reply!

So basically I need to look into getting my I-20, I-94, and a boarding card. Also, I am assuming an american visa of some sort. Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

Thanks for the reply!

So basically I need to look into getting my I-20, I-94, and a boarding card. Also, I am assuming an american visa of some sort. Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

Canadians don't really need a visa to enter US. All you need is the I 20 and I 94; i'm about 95% sure thats all you need but its better just to confirm with your school. Boarding card is only needed to board the aircraft (on your way from Toronto to Detroit) if you choose to fly; its not needed for your school.

let me know if you have more questions :).

How did you guys secure loan for school

I-20 is the student visa - since you will be recognized as (F1-student status). I-94 will be issued to you at any border customs once you have your I-20 completed and show the I-20 to the customs officer.

Ask your bank about Line of Credit for Professionals. I know RBC has one if you reside in Canada.

Canadians don't really need a visa to enter US. All you need is the I 20 and I 94; i'm about 95% sure thats all you need but its better just to confirm with your school. Boarding card is only needed to board the aircraft (on your way from Toronto to Detroit) if you choose to fly; its not needed for your school.

let me know if you have more questions :).

The I20 and I94 is used to get the visa at the boarder... And yes you do need a visa to be a student in the US. Its called an F-1 visa. They give you this when you cross the boarder