Cancelled Step1 due to no sleep... Extreme test anxiety.... What to do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jelliebeans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm supposed to be done with my step one very soon, but instead I'm here drowning in tears worried sick about my current situation. I have been doing decent on my assessments, around 240 average, and I usually never get test anxiety (no problem with SAT and MCATs). I don't know what happened last night, perhaps it was the "brain" food that my mom made me eat, or the extreme excitement that my long month of studying is finally going to pay off, I suffered from extreme pretest insomnia. I went to bed pretty early, around 10 (my usual bed time is 12), and I just, well, laid there with my heart pounding through my chest. I could not get my heart rate to calm down and my brain to shut down no matter how hard i tried. I even took a beta blocker at around 4am because I felt that my heart was going to burst. It wasn't that I wasn't sleepy, but it was more like my brain and my heart just refused to shut down. Along comes 7am, and I have laid in my bed for well over 9 hours, and not a wink of sleep later, I was groggy, slow and had a pounding headache. I called my school's counselor and told them I felt very ill for this 8 hour marathon, and managed to cancel my test. I cannot schedule for another one until tomorrow, but the thing is, our school has a deadline that we need to complete our step one by next Tuesday no matter what. From what I know, there is nothing available in the whole state until few weeks later, I will probably have to go take it in a neighboring state before next week (IF it turns out that they are still available tomorrow). I feel like it was the right decision to cancel because I was totally unfit mentally, but at the same time, I can't help but kick myself at my impulsivity because now I'm dealing with the consequences of having to find another test date, find a hotel, drive, and perhaps risking another few long nights of poor sleep. I can't even focus on reviewing anymore and I feel like all this mental torment is making me forget everything I have learned up to now. I really need help, does anyone know how to make myself feel at more ease with my decision? How do I cope with this guilt, this internal torment so I can focus on my future test (if i get scheduled one)?
Thanks for reading this long post. Your feedback/response is much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the same thing a couple days ago except I took it. Didn't sleep, jut laid there in bed all night. Ate a good breakfast and the adrenaline from taking the big test was enough to keep me going until it was over.

I went through the same thing a couple days ago except I took it. Didn't sleep, jut laid there in bed all night. Ate a good breakfast and the adrenaline from taking the big test was enough to keep me going until it was over.
Did you feel tired at all? I had a hard time clearing my head because everything was so clouded due to the lack of sleep and excessive worry that I didn't get sleep.... lol

I was so amped up for the test that I didn't feel tired... I had a 5 hr energy with me to take during one of the breaks if I felt like I needed it but I didn't have to. ..but right after I felt like passing out, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I'm supposed to be done with my step one very soon, but instead I'm here drowning in tears worried sick about my current situation. I have been doing decent on my assessments, around 240 average, and I usually never get test anxiety (no problem with SAT and MCATs). I don't know what happened last night, perhaps it was the "brain" food that my mom made me eat, or the extreme excitement that my long month of studying is finally going to pay off, I suffered from extreme pretest insomnia. I went to bed pretty early, around 10 (my usual bed time is 12), and I just, well, laid there with my heart pounding through my chest. I could not get my heart rate to calm down and my brain to shut down no matter how hard i tried. I even took a beta blocker at around 4am because I felt that my heart was going to burst. It wasn't that I wasn't sleepy, but it was more like my brain and my heart just refused to shut down. Along comes 7am, and I have laid in my bed for well over 9 hours, and not a wink of sleep later, I was groggy, slow and had a pounding headache. I called my school's counselor and told them I felt very ill for this 8 hour marathon, and managed to cancel my test. I cannot schedule for another one until tomorrow, but the thing is, our school has a deadline that we need to complete our step one by next Tuesday no matter what. From what I know, there is nothing available in the whole state until few weeks later, I will probably have to go take it in a neighboring state before next week (IF it turns out that they are still available tomorrow). I feel like it was the right decision to cancel because I was totally unfit mentally, but at the same time, I can't help but kick myself at my impulsivity because now I'm dealing with the consequences of having to find another test date, find a hotel, drive, and perhaps risking another few long nights of poor sleep. I can't even focus on reviewing anymore and I feel like all this mental torment is making me forget everything I have learned up to now. I really need help, does anyone know how to make myself feel at more ease with my decision? How do I cope with this guilt, this internal torment so I can focus on my future test (if i get scheduled one)?
Thanks for reading this long post. Your feedback/response is much appreciated :)
I had the exact same experience for step 1 AND step 2. Insomnia, lying in bed the whole night , heart pounding ,anxiety. I felt like utter crap the day of the exam but let me tell you something once you're in front of the computer and you start your exam, you'll feel better.

Hi guys,
I'm supposed to be done with my step one very soon, but instead I'm here drowning in tears worried sick about my current situation. I have been doing decent on my assessments, around 240 average, and I usually never get test anxiety (no problem with SAT and MCATs). I don't know what happened last night, perhaps it was the "brain" food that my mom made me eat, or the extreme excitement that my long month of studying is finally going to pay off, I suffered from extreme pretest insomnia. I went to bed pretty early, around 10 (my usual bed time is 12), and I just, well, laid there with my heart pounding through my chest. I could not get my heart rate to calm down and my brain to shut down no matter how hard i tried. I even took a beta blocker at around 4am because I felt that my heart was going to burst. It wasn't that I wasn't sleepy, but it was more like my brain and my heart just refused to shut down. Along comes 7am, and I have laid in my bed for well over 9 hours, and not a wink of sleep later, I was groggy, slow and had a pounding headache. I

i had EXACTLY same experience as you. everything perfect for 6 weeks before test, sleep at 10 get up at 6 no alarm clock needed, study 12-14 hours straight perfect concentration

fast forward to 6 days before test I start getting insomnia (wake up at 2-3am)--> tried melatonin [1st time ever using sleep aid] which didnt really do much

3 days before test, averaging 4 hours sleep/night for a few days now (feel my heart POUNDING when i lie down to sleep)--> i was like **** this is not good i NEEDED to make sure i get decent rest the 2 nights before test day and night before test day --> went and got prescription for Ambien--> was told to take 10mg --> bed time take 10mg and still awake --> take 20mg more and passed out --> wake up middle of night look at alarm clock : 2am --> Fu*k--> take 30mg and passed out again --> wake up at 7 am and felt ~Ok

night before the test: 30 mg ambien and passed out --> woke up at 2:30 --> 30mg more ambien --> 7am ----> went and took test

definitely was not fun but i felt i blew the biggest mental load ever after taking that thing man

Good(ish?) news. I got rescheduled for the test tomorrow at a neighboring state so I have to make a trip down there today. I'm surprisingly okay with all this because I know I probably would've been more miserable if I had taken the test and made stupid mistakes cuz I couldn't focus. Now at least I have a chance to rectify myself. Now I know even if the history repeats itself I will be fine because it won't be the first time it happens and I won't have it give me extra anxiety.
I was so amped up for the test that I didn't feel tired... I had a 5 hr energy with me to take during one of the breaks if I felt like I needed it but I didn't have to. ..but right after I felt like passing out, lol

I had the exact same experience for step 1 AND step 2. Insomnia, lying in bed the whole night , heart pounding ,anxiety. I felt like utter crap the day of the exam but let me tell you something once you're in front of the computer and you start your exam, you'll feel better.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with taking the exam with no sleep. I think your experiences help me know that just in case I don't fall asleep tonight I will be just fine for tomorrow :)

i had EXACTLY same experience as you. everything perfect for 6 weeks before test, sleep at 10 get up at 6 no alarm clock needed, study 12-14 hours straight perfect concentration

fast forward to 6 days before test I start getting insomnia (wake up at 2-3am)--> tried melatonin [1st time ever using sleep aid] which didnt really do much

3 days before test, averaging 4 hours sleep/night for a few days now (feel my heart POUNDING when i lie down to sleep)--> i was like **** this is not good i NEEDED to make sure i get decent rest the 2 nights before test day and night before test day --> went and got prescription for Ambien--> was told to take 10mg --> bed time take 10mg and still awake --> take 20mg more and passed out --> wake up middle of night look at alarm clock : 2am --> Fu*k--> take 30mg and passed out again --> wake up at 7 am and felt ~Ok

night before the test: 30 mg ambien and passed out --> woke up at 2:30 --> 30mg more ambien --> 7am ----> went and took test

definitely was not fun but i felt i blew the biggest mental load ever after taking that thing man

I don't have access to Ambien so I went to Wallgreens yesterday and picked up some Melatonin because I heard that I shouldn't take diphenhydramine before the test because that makes me groggy for the exam. I took some melatonin last night and I fell asleep pretty fast, but that could be due to the fact that I had been up for like 40+ hours at that point. I will try the melatonin again tonight and hopefully it puts me to sleep!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I didn't sleep a second before step 1 due to anxiety. The night before step 2 I got hammered and watched Ted 2 well it did the trick slept like a baby. That still didn't change the fact that I got wrecked by step 2 lol

Grab a couple drinks with your friends the day before and don't study 2-3 days before the exam. You'll be good.

I also had trouble sleeping the night before step 1. I had panic attacks until 3:00 AM. Ended up getting about four hours of sleep. I had shortness of breath for the entire exam, but after three cups of coffee and all of the adrenaline, I felt fine. Honestly I feel worse two days after I sleep like crap, not the day immediately after. Rescheduling for the next day could backfire if you're like me too.

What's through is through. Just sign up and take it again. Remember: avoidance of suffering leads to more suffering.

I also didn't sleep at all the night before. I usually don't get insomnia, but I think I was stressed about the test and then stressed about not sleeping. I went for a run at like 5:30am and got some caffeinated beverages. I got through the test just fine. I'll get my scores on Wednesday so I can't say how well it worked out, but I don't think I missed more than 1-2 questions due to fatigue or my brain feeling cloudy. I got tired a few times, but I also got tired taking practice tests and this was no different. You'll be fine even if you don't sleep at all the night before! I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't sleep at all before Step!