Cancelling an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aptwor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 interviews right now, and I'm thinking about cancelling one of them because it happens to be on the day of an exam and is definitely not a top choice school. Is it wise to cancel an interview before I've received any acceptances? Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa. Don't cancel any interviews if you have no acceptances yet. Just talk to your professor and take the test some other time.

I have 5 interviews right now, and I'm thinking about cancelling one of them because it happens to be on the day of an exam and is definitely not a top choice school. Is it wise to cancel an interview before I've received any acceptances? Thanks so much!!

you should postpone it not cancel

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering I am yet to apply to a med school my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
This is a medical school and who cares if it is a top choice it is a school. A door way into the world you want to be in and to deny that would be foolish at best. You are quite lucky to have so many interviews so far but to not go to one is kind of like saying your all ready in. I would inform your professor about the interview and ask him to reschdule a special exam. Let the professor know how important med school is to you and then let him make a decision.
Go to that interview and put on your best interview face. Until your accepted your just an applicant so take every opportunity like it will never happen again.

OR See if you can reschedule the interview but never cancel until you are in. You never know you could go there meet some great people and fall in love with the school. Go to the interview.

If you already received 5 interview invites, you'll probably end up not going to all your interview invitations anyway.

If I were you I wouldn't cancel it. Wouldn't it suck if none of the other schools accept you in the end?

I guess knowing how normal you are would help. The less normal you are the less likely you will be successful in those interviews.

I'm sure there is some kind of function somewhere relating how normal you are to your chances of getting accepted after an interview. You may find you may really need that 5th one. Or maybe not at all.

Please refer to the following chart for self-analysis:
nerd-venn-diagram-20090915-092804.jpg

before you think about canceling it:

1. tell your professor and ask them if you can take the test at a different time

if not:

2. ask the med school if you can reschedule the interview due to unrescheduleable test.

if not:

3. consider canceling

I haven't taken a test on time yet this semester. Teachers understand and will usually let you reschedule. If not, the school will let you reschedule. Like others said, I'd go to every interview until you get an acceptance. You sound like you're on the right track with 5 interviews, but you never know so I'd play it safe.

Thanks for all your feedback :)
I just have a heavy courseload this quarter and taking all the time to fly out to interviews has me a little worried about my grades.

Don't be stupid. Your future training is more important than classes that will ultimately mean nothing as long as you pass.

But be careful... I've seen at least one reapplicant who had >1 offer of admission recinded due to poor performance (IIRC a semester gpa of <2.0) in senior year but who did not actually flunk any classes. So "as long as you pass" might not be good enough... just sayin'.