Cannot finish college right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to some financial issues, I'm not able to continue my studies. I'm realizing that I'm going to have to work for 2 years in order to finish my bachelors and I just feel so defeated and depressed. I cannot get a private loan and it seems like no one is hiring in my area; I've honestly never been this depressed in my entire life. What do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

seems like you already know, work to make some money to pay for school. Unfortunately not everything is handed to us on a silver platter

Also, don't be depressed, working at a regular job can build character and provide a greater understanding of "life". I did it for 3 years before starting my journey to become a doctor

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no law that says you have to go to med school at age 21. Older students are appreciated by Adcoms because of their maturity. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Due to some financial issues, I'm not able to continue my studies. I'm realizing that I'm going to have to work for 2 years in order to finish my bachelors and I just feel so defeated and depressed. I cannot get a private loan and it seems like no one is hiring in my area; I've honestly never been this depressed in my entire life. What do you guys think I should do?

Reactions: 3 users
Find a job somewhere and volunteer on your off time or weekends. It really is unfortunate that you have to cut your education short for now, but just to let you know that becoming a doctor isn't about getting to the finish line, it's about enjoying the adventure.

Take this as a blessing in disguise. You'll be able to still enjoy life outside of college. Take time to spend time with friends, go out and drink, see a football/baseball/basketball game, develop a hobby, and so on. Because once you start medical school, it's hard work non-stop. There is nothing wrong with being a non-trad student. Adcoms love adversity and diversity in applicants. And once you save up for college, you will know the value of an education and money, which will give you the determination to make yourself the best applicant you can be

Reactions: 4 users
Find a job somewhere and volunteer on your off time or weekends. It really is unfortunate that you have to cut your education short for now, but just to let you know that becoming a doctor isn't about getting to the finish line, it's about enjoying the adventure.

Take this as a blessing in disguise. You'll be able to still enjoy life outside of college. Take time to spend time with friends, go out and drink, see a football/baseball/basketball game, develop a hobby, and so on. Because once you start medical school, it's hard work non-stop. There is nothing wrong with being a non-trad student. Adcoms love adversity and diversity in applicants. And once you save up for college, you will know the value of an education and money, which will give you the determination to make yourself the best applicant you can be

Whoa, I did not think of the situation in this way; thanks for the perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a traditional student and I wish I took time off to go abroad or work/volunteer. Some of my friends and fraternity brothers work a 9-5, make ~$75k, and have weekends off to do whatever the hell they want. They have wild parties, they hit the bars, they go to see college football live (huge in the south), and still have time to spend with their girlfriends/boyfriends/families. I sometimes wish I could have had a chance to experience that before jumping into the ocean that is medical school. I'm not saying doctors won't get to ever experience this, but it will be a long time before you do.

Also, to add, some of them never got a degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you transfer to a state school with cheaper tuition?

Thankfully, one of my parents is helping me get a student loan so I can continue. I've nothing to do now but rest and get ready to grind this Fall.

I'm still going to try to find a little job.

Thanks guys!