PhD/PsyD Cannot pass the EPPP :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In some states they have a required waiting period, though many o not. Some states also have a process for applicants who fail the exam more than once, which could include a waiting period and/or additional hoops before the applicant is cleared to sit for the exam again.
Does anyone on here know how it works in NJ? If you fail, can you retake right away or is there a mandatory waiting period?

Members don't see this ad.

That should all be spelled out by the licensing board for the state. You could also give their office a call, though it may take a day or two to get a return call because staffing tends to be limited for licensing offices in general.

That should all be spelled out by the licensing board for the state. You could also give their office a call, though it may take a day or two to get a return call because staffing tends to be limited for licensing offices in general.
I called NJ Licensing Board today. They said you can retake as many times as ASBPB allows you (which I think is four times in a twelve month period). NJ does not have any minimum waiting time, in other words. Retake at will! This is helping me because I think I'll risk taking it as soon as my scores on AR and AATBS are consistently above 75 for at least 3 practice tests, rather than waiting till my scores are above 85, as some people suggest. Worst comes to terrible, if I fail, I'll just take off, study intensely, and retake. I've been having nightmares about getting a 69% (No comments by Freudians on this list, please, I think we're all clear about what those dreams mean!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the EXACT same boat! I took my second attempt at the EPPP today. My first attempt was in 2014 and I didn't purchase any study program, just used information that I got online and some 2007 hand-me-down test materials from a coworker. I got 485 on my first attempt, and just figured "lesson learned" and decided to purchase a proper program.

I bought the Academic Review program about 6 months ago and studied diligently every week (about 10-20 hours weekly). I felt I knew the material inside and out and my most recent practice test scores were 87%, 88%, 92%, 90%, 90% and 94%. I also took the PEPPPO (online practice exam) and passed with no issue and my score breakdown showed "strong" in each area. I walked into the exam feeling well prepared and confident, only to be faced with a series of questions that were NOWHERE outlined in my study program. My final score... 485... AGAIN! I'm feeling completely defeated, distressed, embarrassed (all my coworkers and supervisors know I took it a second time today) and not sure what to now. How can I approach this differently?

Also, what happens if you fail 4 times? Is that it!?! Do my dreams of being a psychologist end with 2 more failed attempts? I'm petrified to take the test a 3rd time and have no idea how to approach this differently. Any advise is appreciated.

="PsychDr05, post: 17699248, member: 767023"]I am reaching out to everyone and anyone after feeling extremely defeated.

I have now taken the EPPP 4 times (yes you read that correctly) with no success. Let me start out by saying the first time I took the test was last March 2015, then August 2015, November 2015, and just today. Since last March, my scaled score has declined overall. It is mind boggling being that my study has been consistent and in fact how I am studying has changed to incorporate more (if that makes sense). I would say on average I study approximately 15-18 hours per week. Yes there are weeks I study less due to weekend events or such but I usually make up that time. Recently, the scores on my practice tests were in the high 80s. Not to mention that I felt extremely prepared for the exam.

What gives?! How is it that my studying has remained consistent, I have good scores on practice tests, yet my scaled scores are declining over the months??!! Honestly, I am not sure what else to do at this point. Does anyone have any advice, pointers, etc. I am all ears.[/QUOTE]

I am in the EXACT same boat! I took my second attempt at the EPPP today. My first attempt was in 2014 and I didn't purchase any study program, just used information that I got online and some 2007 hand-me-down test materials from a coworker. I got 485 on my first attempt, and just figured "lesson learned" and decided to purchase a proper program.

I bought the Academic Review program about 6 months ago and studied diligently every week (about 10-20 hours weekly). I felt I knew the material inside and out and my most recent practice test scores were 87%, 88%, 92%, 90%, 90% and 94%. I also took the PEPPPO (online practice exam) and passed with no issue and my score breakdown showed "strong" in each area. I walked into the exam feeling well prepared and confident, only to be faced with a series of questions that were NOWHERE outlined in my study program. My final score... 485... AGAIN! I'm feeling completely defeated, distressed, embarrassed (all my coworkers and supervisors know I took it a second time today) and not sure what to now. How can I approach this differently?

Also, what happens if you fail 4 times? Is that it!?! Do my dreams of being a psychologist end with 2 more failed attempts? I'm petrified to take the test a 3rd time and have no idea how to approach this differently. Any advise is appreciated.

="PsychDr05, post: 17699248, member: 767023"]I am reaching out to everyone and anyone after feeling extremely defeated.

I have now taken the EPPP 4 times (yes you read that correctly) with no success. Let me start out by saying the first time I took the test was last March 2015, then August 2015, November 2015, and just today. Since last March, my scaled score has declined overall. It is mind boggling being that my study has been consistent and in fact how I am studying has changed to incorporate more (if that makes sense). I would say on average I study approximately 15-18 hours per week. Yes there are weeks I study less due to weekend events or such but I usually make up that time. Recently, the scores on my practice tests were in the high 80s. Not to mention that I felt extremely prepared for the exam.

What gives?! How is it that my studying has remained consistent, I have good scores on practice tests, yet my scaled scores are declining over the months??!! Honestly, I am not sure what else to do at this point. Does anyone have any advice, pointers, etc. I am all ears.
This struck me as sort of an odd post. I haven't heard of people scoring in the 90s on practice tests. I don't think I ever got to 80 and still passed the real thing fairly easily. Also, why would you not get study materials the first time unless you have a history of being a complete rock star on standardized tests which isn't likely to be the case here. Even for myself, who does well on standardized tests, I got the materials because I knew that other aspiring psychologists with similar education and credentials to myself can fail this test and way too much was riding on it.

Reactions: 1 user
This struck me as sort of an odd post. I haven't heard of people scoring in the 90s on practice tests. I don't think I ever got to 80 and still passed the real thing fairly easily. Also, why would you not get study materials the first time unless you have a history of being a complete rock star on standardized tests which isn't likely to be the case here. Even for myself, who does well on standardized tests, I got the materials because I knew that other aspiring psychologists with similar education and credentials to myself can fail this test and way too much was riding on it.

I wonder if the questions relating to seemingly-uncovered material was for pilot questions, which may have rattled the test taker and affected performance on other items?

It's probably been mentioned dozens of times here and in other EPPP threads, but the wording of the real test items and answers was somewhat different from those on the numerous practice tests I took. I would've said the EPPP items were easier in this respect, but I imagine some folks may find them to be trickier, and/or may be thrown out of sorts by the difference.

Thanks for replying to this post. To answer your question, when I took the EPPP the first time I had recently graduated and was working for free at a psych clinic in the evenings. A colleague of mine convinced me that the EPPP was really "hyped" up and assured me that she had recently passed using hand-me-down materials from another co-worker and also told me that I should write it while I was still fresh out of school. I took her advise and decided to give it a go using her materials and decided not to spend the $$$ on a proper program - obviously that wasn't wise. In hindsight I would have totally done things differently. I decided to do everything right for my second attempt so I purchased the Academic Review program and studied like crazy for months. I really thought I was well-prepared so it was a big shock that I failed it AGAIN and really discouraging that my score was the same from the first time I took it without all the prep.

I wonder if the questions relating to seemingly-uncovered material was for pilot questions, which may have rattled the test taker and affected performance on other items?

It's probably been mentioned dozens of times here and in other EPPP threads, but the wording of the real test items and answers was somewhat different from those on the numerous practice tests I took. I would've said the EPPP items were easier in this respect, but I imagine some folks may find them to be trickier, and/or may be thrown out of sorts by the difference.

Initially when I saw the questions that I didn't recognize, I thought they must be the pilot questions but that wouldn't explain why I failed. I also found that many of the items that were on the exam were written in a way that made them difficult to answer. For example, I remember on the practice exam that there was a question about the effects of a certain therapy on a certain medical condition (I won't mention which one specifically as I don't want to reveal actual exam questions). On the practice exam, the correct answer was that the therapy has positive emotional affect for several patients and some experienced a reduction in X and Y. On the actual exam had a questions that asked (again... leaving out the important details):

Studies have shown that XXX (therapy type) to treat patients with XXX (medical condition) produces:
a) no heath benefits
b) positive emotional affect only
c) reduction in X and Y
d) remission of all symptoms

From my studying, NONE of the answer option were correct!! Overall, I think I just got in my own head. I also flagged a bunch of questions and went back over them, often changing my answers so second guessing myself probably didn't help either. I think I'll try another study program and take the exam again in a few months.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which study program is best!?

Thanks for replying to this post. To answer your question, when I took the EPPP the first time I had recently graduated and was working for free at a psych clinic in the evenings. A colleague of mine convinced me that the EPPP was really "hyped" up and assured me that she had recently passed using hand-me-down materials from another co-worker and also told me that I should write it while I was still fresh out of school. I took her advise and decided to give it a go using her materials and decided not to spend the $$$ on a proper program - obviously that wasn't wise. In hindsight I would have totally done things differently. I decided to do everything right for my second attempt so I purchased the Academic Review program and studied like crazy for months. I really thought I was well-prepared so it was a big shock that I failed it AGAIN and really discouraging that my score was the same from the first time I took it without all the prep.

My heart goes out to you. Studying for this test is an expensive process in time and money. It's also frustrating given all the other hoops you've gone through at this point. I've read many stories of people not passing on this board and other websites. What I noticed is that people who only or primarily use AATBS study materials seem more likely to pass. I do NOT work for AATBS or any entity affiliated with them. But I have only read about one person using AATBS and not passing. This person used AATBS as supplemental to other study brands like AR. In my estimation, AATBS seems to better prepare people to pass. I don't know if there's been any research on this. I'm speculating based on myself, people I know, and stories I've read.

My heart goes out to you. Studying for this test is an expensive process in time and money. It's also frustrating given all the other hoops you've gone through at this point. I've read many stories of people not passing on this board and other websites. What I noticed is that people who only or primarily use AATBS study materials seem more likely to pass. I do NOT work for AATBS or any entity affiliated with them. But I have only read about one person using AATBS and not passing. This person used AATBS as supplemental to other study brands like AR. In my estimation, AATBS seems to better prepare people to pass. I don't know if there's been any research on this. I'm speculating based on myself, people I know, and stories I've read.

Thank you! I actually looked at trying the AATBS online program and attending their 4-day workshop. Your post makes me feel a bit more confident about going that route.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you get to the 4 fail maximum or does it depend on the state/province? Having failed twice already, it doesn't seem like such an unlikely possibility...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you get to the 4 fail maximum or does it depend on the state/province? Having failed twice already, it doesn't seem like such an unlikely possibility...

Definitely check the rules in your state. But I think that the four fail maximum you are referring to means that in some states, you can only take the EPPP four times a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Initially when I saw the questions that I didn't recognize, I thought they must be the pilot questions but that wouldn't explain why I failed. I also found that many of the items that were on the exam were written in a way that made them difficult to answer. For example, I remember on the practice exam that there was a question about the effects of a certain therapy on a certain medical condition (I won't mention which one specifically as I don't want to reveal actual exam questions). On the practice exam, the correct answer was that the therapy has positive emotional affect for several patients and some experienced a reduction in X and Y. On the actual exam had a questions that asked (again... leaving out the important details):

Studies have shown that XXX (therapy type) to treat patients with XXX (medical condition) produces:
a) no heath benefits
b) positive emotional affect only
c) reduction in X and Y
d) remission of all symptoms

From my studying, NONE of the answer option were correct!! Overall, I think I just got in my own head. I also flagged a bunch of questions and went back over them, often changing my answers so second guessing myself probably didn't help either. I think I'll try another study program and take the exam again in a few months.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which study program is best!?

Actually, from what you're saying, the answer should definitely be C. It can't be B, since that says ONLY emotional, and it can't be D since not everyone got better on all fronts, but C doesn't say anything about other effects, just that one effect is on x and y. C does not preclude the possibility of other effects. C is the best answer (not the only possible answer nor the best possible answer, but the best of the provided ones, which is what you are looking for). This is the kind of logic at the heart of standardized testing. Maybe working with a tutor who can help with you standardized testing skills, rather than with content (which you seem to know), would be helpful?

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know at what point of TestMaster proficiency you are supposed to be taking the EPPP? My highest consistent score is 72%. Trying to decide if that's "ready" enough......

Do you know at what point of TestMaster proficiency you are supposed to be taking the EPPP? My highest consistent score is 72%. Trying to decide if that's "ready" enough......
73%
Missed it by that much! Just kidding of course. We don't have enough info on the correlation between measures to advise in any meaningful way. I think that being able to score well on similar multiple choice question tests in the past is probably the best predictor.

73%
Missed it by that much! Just kidding of course. We don't have enough info on the correlation between measures to advise in any meaningful way. I think that being able to score well on similar multiple choice question tests in the past is probably the best predictor.
Thanks... I mean, AATBS says you should be consistently scoring above 75%, but if you read threads on here, people who were doing that ended up with 680s. When I take old practice tests on AATBS, I can score in the high 70s, but that's a practice effect.

I guess I'm just looking for some last minute strategies for - I'm taking this test in 2 days - what do I do now to boost my chances of passing? I don't need a 680. I need a 501!

Thanks... I mean, AATBS says you should be consistently scoring above 75%, but if you read threads on here, people who were doing that ended up with 680s. When I take old practice tests on AATBS, I can score in the high 70s, but that's a practice effect.

I guess I'm just looking for some last minute strategies for - I'm taking this test in 2 days - what do I do now to boost my chances of passing? I don't need a 680. I need a 501!

With two days left, it might help to attend more to concepts that you have a hard time remembering or understanding. That's what I did a few days prior to the test. I focused more on cementing info that I'd forget or get confused.

With two days left, it might help to attend more to concepts that you have a hard time remembering or understanding. That's what I did a few days prior to the test. I focused more on cementing info that I'd forget or get confused.
Thanks! I guess at this point what my scores are and what they predict is a moot point. The whole reason I'm taking it now is because my husband pointed out that you can take it 4 times in a calendar year, I might as well give it a shot. If I don't pass, I can take it again in January.

When I got down to my last couple days, I stopped trying to learn any new material and focused on solidifying what I'd already studied. I had my partner quiz me on areas that I regularly struggled with, which was incredibly helpful. Plus explaining the concepts to a non-psychologist really helped me get my head around them (I definitely owe him for that!). Also, self care. Eat well and get plenty of sleep. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Last two days, I tapered off. Just like above posters said, not much new I could learn and trying to cram more in at the last minute would just get in the way. Retroactive interference from psych 101. Not something that you need to know for EPPP so put that concept back in the vault. ;) Also as others said, self-care, eat some good food, spend time with loved ones, watch silly movies. Good luck!

I feel like you hit a point in studying where it's not about WHAT info you have in your brain but HOW to take the test. I think the most helpful thing that helped me on the EPPP was test taking strategies. I remember that I was able to eliminate 2 answers on most of the questions because I was able to use those effectively which greatly increased my chances of guessing the right answers on questions that were convoluted.

Not to be rude, but if you have to ask how many times you could take the test..then i'm not surprised you didn't pass the test.

Not to be rude, but if you have to ask how many times you could take the test..then i'm not surprised you didn't pass the test.

Not the person you are responding to, but that is an incredibly ****ty thing to say. One has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: 3 users
Not the person you are responding to, but that is an incredibly ****ty thing to say. One has nothing to do with the other.
What if you found out afterwards you only had 1 attempt?
You don't work your ass-off that much, and then not know basic things about an important test you took.

What if you found out afterwards you only had 1 attempt?
You don't work your ass-off that much, and then not know basic things about an important test you took.

Well, of course you can re-take the EPPP. That's true of any licensing exam I've ever heard of. Naturally, though, most people plan on taking the test once, maybe twice, and don't spend much time thinking about the possibility that of a third time or beyond that. It's a reasonable question. Simmer down.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to everyone who posted helpful advice on this thread. :hello: I PASSED! My final score was 636. I think that the AATBS materials were very helpful and I'm glad I used them. I found almost identical questions on the real test as I encountered during my practice AATBS exams. I think once you're scoring above 70 on the AATBS practice exams, you're good to go and you should schedule.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all, I took the EPPP, and passed on my first try, this month (12/12/16). I studied with AATBS religiously for 3 months, read the books over and over, and took the practice exams in study mode on my phone when time permitted (my scores ranged from mid 60's to 72% the night before the exam). I do feel that the AATBS material was reflective of the EPPP actual content. I passed with a nice margin too. Prep material is definitely not cheap, but worth it. ;)

Last edited:
I am reaching out to everyone and anyone after feeling extremely defeated.

What gives?! How is it that my studying has remained consistent, I have good scores on practice tests, yet my scaled scores are declining over the months??!! Honestly, I am not sure what else to do at this point. Does anyone have any advice, pointers, etc. I am all ears.

Hey there. I'm right there with you. I've failed 4 times, and each time, I'm SO CLOSE to passing. I'm attempting to get licensed in New York, and you need a converted score of 75. The first time, I got a 71, then a 69, then a 65, and then a 69 again. I feel defeated in every way possible. I've used AATBS, Academic Review, and Psych Prep. I am currently using Taylor Study Method, but I cannot focus while studying, because everything I am studying, I already know. I know I need to work on my attitude, but it's so hard to keep a positive attitude after feeling so defeated. If you'd ever like a study buddy, I would be happy to work together. Good luck!

Word of advice, when you start a post with "not to be rude but..." it should be a sign that what follows is probably rude, and your comment definitely was. I hope you show a little more compassion for your clients when they reach out feeling defeated and refrain from snotty remarks such as this. Anyways, to respond to your question, my College's website stated that candidates can take the EPPP a maximum 4 times, but the Psych Corp website indicates that "state and provincial board vary in how often they allow candidates to take the examination. The maximum allowed is four times in any 12-month period". So what I was asking was if anyone could clarify the 4 attempt rule. After posting in this thread, I contacted my College and confirmed that in my province, we are only allowed to take the EPPP a maximum of 4 times... EVER! Obviously I never intended to write it more than once, but after failing twice I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone knew more about the 4 attempt rule.

I am reaching out to everyone and anyone after feeling extremely defeated.

I am new to the group and just saw your post. I just wanted to encourage you! I just talked to a fellow therapist and she mentioned that she had to take the exam over 5 times to pass it (I think she said 6 or 7). But she said that the last time something just clicked and she could see what they were looking for. I think it's a matter of getting really familiar with the practice tests, sample
questions, and becoming so familiar with what they are really asking. That being said, I haven't taken the EPPP myself yet! It sounds like a matter of translating your knowledge to the actual test-taking, which is the challenging part. Get comfortable, relax, don't pressure yourself, and know that it will get easier.

The last time I posted on here I was absolutely devastated after failing the EPPP for the second time, but today (after my third attempt), I PASSED!!! I hope my experience will help those of you who are also feeling defeated by the EPPP give you the confidence to keep your head up - you will get there!

Prior to my last (failed) attempt, I had studied exclusively with the Academic Review material and was earning mock exam scores in the high 80s/low 90s so I was shocked when I only earned a score of 485 on the real exam. After lots of research and recommendations from others on this forum, I decided to boycott the Academic Review program and invest in AATBS - it was the best decision I made! I found the material much more relevant to the actual exam. I also attended their 4-day workshop which I would highly recommend. Since I had already spent countless hours studying before attending the workshop, the material provided was a review for me but still very worthwhile. The instructors were incredibly knowledgeable and helped to clarify some confusing concepts and most importantly, gave me the confidence I needed keep my head up and try again.

Although some others have had a positive experience with the Academic Review program, my biggest complaint is that their mock exams are made up of questions from the section exams. Since my study strategy involved reviewing ALL the sample questions in each section area before attempting my first practice test, I was already familiar with the practice questions before even attempting a mock exam. This led to an inflated score on the mock exams and a false sense of confidence going into the real exam. With AATBS, the mock exams are made up of unique questions so you truly have to understand the concepts and be able to apply them rather than simply memorize the correct answers. For me, this helped mimic true testing conditions. For reference, my practice test scores on the AATBS mock exams ranged from 63-75% and my score on the EPPP was 611.

For anyone still struggling to pass this daunting exam, don't give up! It's definitely not an easy feat, but with some hard work, a positive attitude and the right study materials, you will conquer it! GOOD LUCK!!!

Reactions: 5 users