Can't decide: should I do FP or Peds

• Thread starter Deleted member 17408
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 17408

Help me somebody...I can't make up my mind. I keep switching back and forth. I'm not sure whether to apply to FP or Peds. I'm not exactly in love with obstetrics, surgery (all the stuff FP does as an intern). Then again I love kids but I'm afraid it could be stressful talking to (often angry) parents of a sick child. Is the residency for one easier than the other? Somebody please help me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you noticed the way FPs light up when you take a kid to them? Ok, maybe you haven't but I can tell you I've noticed it after the birth of my daughter. FPs don't get baby burn out, whereas I've noticed pediatricians being a little more cold and professional around babies.

Just my own observation. But it wouldn't be surprising if treating kids day in and day out for years made you a little immune to baby smiles.

Take care.

The real question you need to ask is whether you are interested in treating adults. Only about 10-20% of most FP's practices are peds, although I'm sure that some get more by designing their practice to attract kids (and their parents). But as an FP you'll have lots of adults, including lots of geriatrics. If you really aren't that interested in seeing those populations, go peds.

On the other hand, don't let OB or surgery scare you off--you do some of that as a resident (e.g. for OB, enough to be competent with uncomplicated deliveries) but you don't have to make it a part of your practice when you're done.

Originally posted by BellKicker
Have you noticed the way FPs light up when you take a kid to them? Ok, maybe you haven't but I can tell you I've noticed it after the birth of my daughter. FPs don't get baby burn out, whereas I've noticed pediatricians being a little more cold and professional around babies.

Just my own observation. But it wouldn't be surprising if treating kids day in and day out for years made you a little immune to baby smiles.

Take care.

Well, hmm...

I finished reading an autobiographical account of medical school and a doctor that decided to specialize in pediatrics (I think it was entitled: Learning to Play God: the Coming of Age of a Young Doctor ). After seeing what he had to go through, I'm not surprised at the reaction that Bellkicker described. I think that it may be due to working in the neonatology department (yes, peds people have to go through that). Being around a whole bunch of premature babies or ones with complications (from mothers who drink/smoke/do drugs :mad: ) , can certainly take its toll on a guy.