Can't get enough in student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramizlol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my school has approved me with 14k in loans and financial aid. My cost of attendance is 28k.. The loans are under graduate loans. They are refusing to give me a graduate loan because I am entering pharmacy school with less than 90 undergraduate credits. Is this the norm? Shouldn't I be receiving graduate loans??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, my school has approved me with 14k in loans and financial aid. My cost of attendance is 28k.. The loans are under graduate loans. They are refusing to give me a graduate loan because I am entering pharmacy school with less than 90 undergraduate credits. Is this the norm? Shouldn't I be receiving graduate loans??
if you are in your first year (of four) of pharmacy school you are not classified as a grad student. Even thou I had a degree I was not classified as a grad student until the third year.

a couple of questions - 1. Do you or your parents have a very good income/assets and they are limiting your loans?
2. In the end you will likely thank them because lower loans mean less debt
3. In this era where anybody gets any amount of money - these just seems odd

I graduated with a BS before pharm school, but everyone in my class was classified as graduate students and qualified for grad loans.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It's either because of income or not having a good credit score. Call financial aid office they should be able to tell u the exact reason or tell u to get private loans.

if you are in your first year (of four) of pharmacy school you are not classified as a grad student. Even thou I had a degree I was not classified as a grad student until the third year.

a couple of questions - 1. Do you or your parents have a very good income/assets and they are limiting your loans?
2. In the end you will likely thank them because lower loans mean less debt
3. In this era where anybody gets any amount of money - these just seems odd
I am going to be a p1. My parents have good credit but very little assets. The problem is I don't have 15k to cover difference.

I wasn't able to get grad student loans the first year either. It might have been second one too I am not 100% sure. I thought the undergrad loans were enough though in my case.

It's either because of income or not having a good credit score. Call financial aid office they should be able to tell u the exact reason or tell u to get private loans.
They did tell me to get Private loans. It doesn't make sense if they are not going to consider me as grad student then why are they charging me a graduate tuition per credit??? Everyone I speak with in the financial aid office keeps telling me different thing.

I experienced the same thing. It depends on the school. The general requirement for cop students to be classified as graduate students from p1-p4 is based on pre-req course hours. I believe that if your school requires ~70 pre-req course hours... Graduate student status all four years.

I experienced the same thing. It depends on the school. The general requirement for cop students to be classified as graduate students from p1-p4 is based on pre-req course hours. I believe that if your school requires ~70 pre-req course hours... Graduate student status all four years.
were the loans enough to cover the cost

Put it on a credit card. One of my credit cards has a lower interest than one of my federally backed loans, THANKS GOVERNMENT.

Put it on a credit card. One of my credit cards has a lower interest than one of my federally backed loans, THANKS GOVERNMENT.
I don't have a credit card with 15k limit lol. I am 18; I can barely get a credit card with 300 dollar limit on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school as to whether or not they'll consider you a grad student (it's usually either based on # of credit hours/or the school automatically considers everyone grad/undergrad upon admission).

Call your financial aid office to find out why you aren't receiving certain loans/what loans are available to you, as they are the only ones that can give you a definite answer. It all depends on income/credit/status as a student, and what your school allows you to receive. You may have to get a private loan, but check with the financial aid office first.

Sure you can, just get private ones. It all depends on the school. Education is overpriced no matter how you look at it, so a percent or 2 over a few years won't really make much of a difference.

Are you in a 6-year program? If so, then that may be why they will give you only undergraduate loans.

You put down you are undergraduate. Then you get the loan. Your school will charge you whatever they charge you. Call your financial aid office, and have them fix it for you.

You put down you are undergraduate. Then you get the loan. Your school will charge you whatever they charge you. Call your financial aid office, and have them fix it for you.
They told me to put undergraduate. I wish I knew they weren't gonna consider me as graduate student. I would have went to a different school

I drop out of hs and started college at 16.
So you dropped out of high school and got a GED then community college.
Wow. I should have thought of this. Instead I have an AA, a BS, an MS, and will be getting the same doctorate degree in the next 3-4 years. Haha. At least I will have a full house. Not many people can say that.
Maybe you are not considered a grad student because of age? Just a theory. I have no idea.

So you dropped out of high school and got a GED then community college.
Wow. I should have thought of this. Instead I have an AA, a BS, an MS, and will be getting the same doctorate degree in the next 3-4 years. Haha. At least I will have a full house. Not many people can say that.
Maybe you are not considered a grad student because of age? Just a theory. I have no idea.
I didn't get a GED until few weeks ago loll. They won't consider me as grad because I don't have 90 undergraduate credits. I'll be taking private loans to cover the rest of the cost

If you just received your GED a few weeks ago how did you complete the two years of prerequisites required for admittance to a college of pharmacy?

Reactions: 1 user
If you just received your GED a few weeks ago how did you complete the two years of prerequisites required for admittance to a college of pharmacy?
My community college didn't require GED or diploma but I had to pay for it. No financial aid.