Can't score past mid 20's, MCAT IN 1 MONTH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcnetsfan77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need some guidance here as my first MCAT is scheduled for April 11th (about a month from now) and I cannot seem to hit the 30 mark. A little background:

-Over winter break I took a TPR crash course that went over content pretty well but I still seem to be struggling
-I have been studying while taking classes this spring semester, and devoting as much time as humanly possible while also balancing my classes
-My highest score was a 27 (all 9s) but i keep moving around in the mid 20s, (22-25).

With only about a month left and my goal score of a 30-32, what are my best options at this point? I'll obviously still be studying while I am taking classes so devoting 10 hours a day is going to be tough.

At this point, do you think its a content problem for getting this range of scores or should I stick mainly to practice tests?

Side note: Does anyone recommend I push back the date a month or change it completely? Would devoting all my time over the summer and applying next cycle be more worth it?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Start panicking!!! After all, that's what SDN is here for.

If i had to make a list of things to do in order to succeed id say panicking would be the last thing to do lol i really wanna nail this in the short time i have left and any quality advice would be much appreciated

I guess I'll take a stab at this.

Just based off of the limited information you provided, I'd say you need to go back to content review. It seems like you've taken more than a couple of practice tests, it looks like your average (24?) is 6-8 points off of your target score, and you have just a bit more than a month until the big dance. You can't completely devote this time to studying the weaknesses you have, and I'm guessing that your scores are fairly balanced which means that your entire content knowledge is too shallow as opposed to just really weak in one area (something that could perhaps be corrected in 6 weeks).

Final report: Reschedule and hit the books. As you hinted at, it may be best to wrap up your classes and study during the summer.

I guess I'll take a stab at this.

Just based off of the limited information you provided, I'd say you need to go back to content review. It seems like you've taken more than a couple of practice tests, it looks like your average (24?) is 6-8 points off of your target score, and you have just a bit more than a month until the big dance. You can't completely devote this time to studying the weaknesses you have, and I'm guessing that your scores are fairly balanced which means that your entire content knowledge is too shallow as opposed to just really weak in one area (something that could perhaps be corrected in 6 weeks).

Final report: Reschedule and hit the books. As you hinted at, it may be best to wrap up your classes and study during the summer.

Thanks alot for the advice! You are absolutely correct, im pretty balanced in everything so it seems like I need to work on content overall...would you still recommend that I go for it in April AND the summer (since taking the summer seems like its probably going to be an option at this point)...or JUST taking it over the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask why waste the resources studying to sit for a test in which you don't feel confident you'd do well. And especially don't rush through your studying at this point just to make the April test. There is a finite pool of good resources, use them wisely.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to start seriously reviewing content now with the time you have outside of classes and what not. Amp up the studying come summer and crush the test in June. You could still even apply this cycle.

I would ask why waste the resources studying to sit for a test in which you don't feel confident you'd do well. And especially don't rush through your studying at this point just to make the April test. There is a finite pool of good resources, use them wisely.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to start seriously reviewing content now with the time you have outside of classes and what not. Amp up the studying come summer and crush the test in June. You could still even apply this cycle.

That was definitely an option for me, although you dont think June will be too late with rolling admissions and all?

If you are not breaking 10 on science sections, that means your content review is not solid enough.

That was definitely an option for me, although you dont think June will be too late with rolling admissions and all?

If you should reschedule or not also depends on how the rest of your stats stack up (GPA). But, that's admittedly a large (and oddly small) gap to try to close in a month, I won't be the one to say take the test in June either, because that's up to you. But, I will tell you the time line, if it helps. The AMCAS opens around the first week of June, the MCAT results take a month to receive. When you send in your AMCAS it takes several weeks to get verified (or days or weeks depending on when you apply and how complicated your verification was, and if all supplemental material is received). In any event, secondaries start rolling in early July, because the AMCAS is released at the same time, usually towards the end of June.

You do not have wait to submit your primary application if you haven't taken the MCAT yet by that time, the score would be automatically uploaded into your file by AAMC. So, if you took the MCAT in early June, and applied in early June, then it'd likely make no difference as your scores would be uploaded in early July -- except the stress of doing both at once. You'd also would be applying blindly, so it'd be hard to stratify yourself. And, you'll have to wait on the score to come in until you received secondaries, most schools say officially they won't review the primary or second secondaries until the MCAT is received (if you don't already have an old score for them to consider). In my opinion, that might be better off then getting stuck with a 24-27, if you think that's the unwanted reality. But, hey you might make that 30, if it were me I'd wait, but it's on you as you know the best. Someone else is free to call me out if they think I'm wrong on this.

If you should reschedule or not also depends on how the rest of your stats stack up (GPA). But, that's admittedly a large (and oddly small) gap to try to close in a month, I won't be the one to say take the test in June either, because that's up to you. But, I will tell you the time line, if it helps. The AMCAS opens around the first week of June, the MCAT results take a month to receive. When you send in your AMCAS it takes several weeks to get verified (or days or weeks depending on when you apply and how complicated your verification was, and if all supplemental material is received). In any event, secondaries start rolling in early July, because the AMCAS is released at the same time, usually towards the end of June.

You do not have wait to submit your primary application if you haven't taken the MCAT yet by that time, the score would be automatically uploaded into your file by AAMC. So, if you took the MCAT in early June, and applied in early June, then it'd likely make no difference as your scores would be uploaded in early July -- except the stress of doing both at once. You'd also would be applying blindly, so it'd be hard to stratify yourself. And, you'll have to wait on the score to come in until you received secondaries, most schools say officially they won't review the primary or second secondaries until the MCAT is received (if you don't already have an old score for them to consider). In my opinion, that might be better off then getting stuck with a 24-27, if you think that's the unwanted reality. But, hey you might make that 30, if it were me I'd wait, but it's on you as you know the best. Someone else is free to call me out if they think I'm wrong on this.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I think you definitely made some good points here. I currently have a 3.5 (3.4 science) and I am thinking that maybe another year of grades would be to my benefit if i can raise my gpa to a 3.6-3.7 (Ive definitely been on a positive curve when it comes to grades, i started freshman year off with a 2.8 and my last three semesters have been 4.0)...

With that said, I feel like applying blindly is a little too big of a risk. I would be ok with that if I had a 3.8 gpa for example because I could rely on that as a buffer if my MCAT was a little lower. In your own opinion, do you think that taking that extra year, improving my gpa, and taking this summer for solely mcat work would be a good idea?

Also another important question: should I study at this point as if I am going to take it in April (practice test every couple of days, as many hours as possible, etc) or should I work on content for now, work on my grades, and take the summer.....would taking the MCAT twice be such a bad thing?

Just looking for opinions here so that I can make a plan for myself! =] thanks so much guys

One more thing I wanted to add: in addition to the books I got from my TPR crash course, I have TPRs "cracking the MCAT" it doesnt go AS in depth but I think Im literally going to bite the bullet and go over all content, (the entire book) for everything, and finish the review book this month still heading for taking it april 11th..thoughts?

Last edited:

I can guarantee you that having your application ready with an MCAT score hovering around a 24 will leave you dead on arrival, so since you are scoring at that level, it makes sense to push the date.

I'm going to quote a few official statistics, which are readily available on the AAMC website, to illustrate point, so I apologize to the moderators if that violates the forum's terms of service.

According the the AAMC data for combined scores of test takes for an official in person exam, you score of 27, which appears to be your outlier, would have placed you at the 60.6 percentile, and you typical range of scores, 22-25, would place you between the 31.7-48.4 percentile range respectively. Furthermore, your scores were not only practice exams, but also were taken in your environment of choice, so your actual score could have been even lower.

I know that a medical school application is more about the sum total of what's included and an MCAT score will not make an otherwise weak application great, but it is a huge component for the initial screening process in a portion of the process where the committee will be inundated by all types of applicants, so I ask you "do you think that scoring at close to the median score what you want?"

I'm not saying that you won't be able to improve because I don't know you. In fact, it's probably very likely that you can improve on your scores, but taken the average scores of applicants and the average score of your practice exams, I don't see how it would a strong decision to take the real exam around a month from now.

I would do some soul searching to try and pin point what it is your missing so you can focus your time effectively after postponing the test until the summer.

p.s. I'm not trying to be harsh. This post is directed to you as much as to many other posts on this forum that could easily be extrapolated from free and readily available data from the AAMC's website, but since you asked the question, it was directed to you. Although time is of the essence in terms of any application and one doesn't want to wait too long, it's best to strike when the iron is hot instead of striking for striking's sake. In other words, pay for the rescheduling fee and take the exam when most students take it, early summer after the spring semester is finished.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I think you definitely made some good points here. I currently have a 3.5 (3.4 science) and I am thinking that maybe another year of grades would be to my benefit if i can raise my gpa to a 3.6-3.7 (Ive definitely been on a positive curve when it comes to grades, i started freshman year off with a 2.8 and my last three semesters have been 4.0)...

I'm glad what I said fit your circumstance. You have a good trend, I started off with a terrible GPA too, and pulled it up -- it became a big sales point on my application with a matriculating MCAT score. Upward spirals tell a good narrative, you have that on your side.

With that said, I feel like applying blindly is a little too big of a risk. I would be ok with that if I had a 3.8 gpa for example because I could rely on that as a buffer if my MCAT was a little lower. In your own opinion, do you think that taking that extra year, improving my gpa, and taking this summer for solely mcat work would be a good idea?

Also another important question: should I study at this point as if I am going to take it in April (practice test every couple of days, as many hours as possible, etc) or should I work on content for now, work on my grades, and take the summer.....would taking the MCAT twice be such a bad thing?

Well, applying blindly with a score, but knowing you might range from 30-33 is better than being certain of applying with a 24. Unfortunately, the MCAT works well as a buffer for grades, but I'm not sure how well that goes vice versa. If you're already considering taking a year longer for grades it would be in reason to include posting a better score as a goal as well. In fact, one could argue, if you're thinking "I might retake this sucker", then you shouldn't hope for test day Gods to come through.

If it were me, I would postpone the date just like how I wouldn't schedule a surgery for a patient if I wasn't ready to perform it. Keep in mind that you could take the test and not keep the score, however that's sort of a waste of time because you'd waste practice tests studying for April. I'd start from content review/reviewing old AAMC exams intensely. As far as a retake, if I took the test and accepted a bad score, it looks bad. Though, I suppose that depends because some schools only look at your last score, some schools at your highest, so it depends on the program. However, a 24 does sort of hurt that upward spiral narrative you spoke of in the first paragraph. Not to say that you're not working hard, I'm only speaking of the narrative aspect. In general though, I think most would agree the most optimal situation is to take the test once officially, getting a good score, and never doing it again.

One more thing I wanted to add: in addition to the books I got from my TPR crash course, I have TPRs "cracking the MCAT" it doesnt go AS in depth but I think Im literally going to bite the bullet and go over all content, (the entire book) for everything, and finish the review book this month still heading for taking it april 11th..thoughts?

I tried TPR Sciencebook at the end, because I exhausted all of my EK passage questions, and didn't want to burn my last AAMC tests, I liked it. I guess you could keep trying, and see if your scores goes up in the last month, it'd make a great story. I think the biggest danger is wasting AAMC tests when you might not have time to actually maximize your improvement.

But, again if you have time I'd wait. If you're applying for 2015, knowing what I know now about the schedule I'd wait -- though it'd be stressful. Because really the biggest danger of taking the test once and getting a 24 is taken it again and getting the same score. Don't rush a masterpiece.

I can guarantee you that having your application ready with an MCAT score hovering around a 24 will leave you dead on arrival, so since you are scoring at that level, it makes sense to push the date.

I'm going to quote a few official statistics, which are readily available on the AAMC website, to illustrate point, so I apologize to the moderators if that violates the forum's terms of service.

According the the AAMC data for combined scores of test takes for an official in person exam, you score of 27, which appears to be your outlier, would have placed you at the 60.6 percentile, and you typical range of scores, 22-25, would place you between the 31.7-48.4 percentile range respectively. Furthermore, your scores were not only practice exams, but also were taken in your environment of choice, so your actual score could have been even lower.

I know that a medical school application is more about the sum total of what's included and an MCAT score will not make an otherwise weak application great, but it is a huge component for the initial screening process in a portion of the process where the committee will be inundated by all types of applicants, so I ask you "do you think that scoring at close to the median score what you want?"

I'm not saying that you won't be able to improve because I don't know you. In fact, it's probably very likely that you can improve on your scores, but taken the average scores of applicants and the average score of your practice exams, I don't see how it would a strong decision to take the real exam around a month from now.

I would do some soul searching to try and pin point what it is your missing so you can focus your time effectively after postponing the test until the summer.

p.s. I'm not trying to be harsh. This post is directed to you as much as to many other posts on this forum that could easily be extrapolated from free and readily available data from the AAMC's website, but since you asked the question, it was directed to you. Although time is of the essence in terms of any application and one doesn't want to wait too long, it's best to strike when the iron is hot instead of striking for striking's sake. In other words, pay for the rescheduling fee and take the exam when most students take it, early summer after the spring semester is finished.

Hey Reggie,

Thanks for the response...what is your opinion on taking the exam twice? With a week off for spring break included in the month and 1 week that I have left, I feel like Ill have some decent time for content if I hit it 10 hours a day. My weakness seems to be in content, not in my test taking abilities because I have had plenty of practice. Do you think it would be a bad decision to bite the bullet this month and hit content hard, take it in april, then take it again in June?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Reggie,

Thanks for the response...what is your opinion on taking the exam twice? With a week off for spring break included in the month and 1 week that I have left, I feel like Ill have some decent time for content if I hit it 10 hours a day. My weakness seems to be in content, not in my test taking abilities because I have had plenty of practice. Do you think it would be a bad decision to bite the bullet this month and hit content hard, take it in april, then take it again in June?

If content is your weakness, then you haven't been studying properly because general test taking abilities aside, if one doesn't know the language of the MCAT (i.e. the content), what makes you think you've been studying the strategies for the test properly. In other words you probably haven't been studying properly.

Studying 10 hours a day on a short respire from your regular studies to cram for the exam in a month not only risks burnout, but even if you cram in all the content in that time, you wouldn't scratch the surface with the techniques that are necessary for the MCAT exam (see the first statement).

If you were daily prepared and you wanted to take the MCAT for the experience, I would say give it a shot since many school will look at your highest exam, but not all experiences are good or helpful, so if one is barely prepared for the MCAT, it would be a blood bath. Since you appear to be in the less prepared category, I would say eat the cost of the re-schdueling fee instead of paying for the exam twice where the first experience would be the equivalent of falling down a flight of stairs. Furthermore, a lot of student are trying to take the current MCAT prior to the 2015 change, so if you wait until April to make the summer date, you might have to take the exam very late in the summer or latter, and that would definitely hurt the rolling admission unless you needed that time. Be honest with yourself, identify your weakness, and take the exam in the early summer while having the rest of your application ready by the June third opening date.

If content is your weakness, then you haven't been studying properly because general test taking abilities aside, if one doesn't know the language of the MCAT (i.e. the content), what makes you think you've been studying the strategies for the test properly. In other words you probably haven't been studying properly.

Studying 10 hours a day on a short respire from your regular studies to cram for the exam in a month not only risks burnout, but even if you cram in all the content in that time, you wouldn't scratch the surface with the techniques that are necessary for the MCAT exam (see the first statement).

If you were daily prepared and you wanted to take the MCAT for the experience, I would say give it a shot since many school will look at your highest exam, but not all experiences are good or helpful, so if one is barely prepared for the MCAT, it would be a blood bath. Since you appear to be in the less prepared category, I would say eat the cost of the re-schdueling fee instead of paying for the exam twice where the first experience would be the equivalent of falling down a flight of stairs. Furthermore, a lot of student are trying to take the current MCAT prior to the 2015 change, so if you wait until April to make the summer date, you might have to take the exam very late in the summer or latter, and that would definitely hurt the rolling admission unless you needed that time. Be honest with yourself, identify your weakness, and take the exam in the early summer while having the rest of your application ready by the June third opening date.

I think rescheduling for June would be a wise thing to do....$65 bucks!! jeeze
- definitely going to talk things over with my adviser this week as well

Im also kind of dissapointed in myself for not making the mark by April, even after taking that TPR class and all those practice test...

I know it would be difficult to give any kind of studying advice but other than just being generally weak in the content overall and working on that what kind of studying strategy would you recommend from now until June (I know this is a hard question to answer)...I think I am going to do what Kouentu13 suggested

= do content review in any time I have in between studying for my classes now, come summer time amp up the studying with plenty of practice tests and hopefully be at the 30-33 mark by June...

Although, im a persistent SOB and I think im going to push through this month and study my *** off (over break especially).-just hope this persistent attitude doesn't lead to idiocy :)

By the way, if it helps at all with any advice I am looking to go to NJMS and I live in NJ so a 3.5 and a 30+ gives me pretty good odds (I have great extracurricular credentials as well)

any other suggestions would be much appreciated and thanks for all the help thus far! It really means alot

Last edited:
WELL, I just changed my MCAT date from this April to June 21st officially...hoping to hit this thing one time and hit it hard...

I think I am going to focus mainly on content until the semester is over, and with two months left follow this method (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ints-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/)

Do you guys have any opinions on the "Spinach Method" or any other tips for the next couple months?

The spinach method is unbelievable. I was super worried but after following him so far Ive been trailing his improvement and the MCAT actually seems easy to me

AAMC3 29
AAMC4 33
AAMC5 34
AAMC7 35(Should be a 37 but my computer lagged and got a 12 on PS instead of a 14)

But dont neglect content review while doing Spinach method
Overall relax, dont listen to SDN rumors, be persistent, and review your tests. I dont think my score went up so much cause of content review but more because of getting used to the passages and minimizing careless errors.

hey @amohammed709 im doing sort of an "edited" version of the spinach method...my MCAT was april 11th originally and now ive pushed it back to june 21 (so 3 weeks left)....I have been doing plenty of verbal mixing it up with a couple a day or a full 7 passages a day......ive been doing passages in the huge TPR science workbook and also taking plenty of practice tests but i havent seen a jump as big as yours......could you be REALLY specific as to what exactly your doing?...

-day to day methods
-when to go back and do content
-any other information?

with 3 weeks left i want to be in your 33-35 area yet im still between 28-31

oh id like to add that i did all my content before hand but its obviously hard remembering absolutely everything on the mcat so i do have my weak areas!

thanks alot

Hey Dcnetsfan this is amohammed709 that was my old account.

Yea I am not really following Spinach exactly I have a modified version. First as oddly as it sounds I still freak out because I dont know everything and my worst fear is that the test will be on everything I dont know.

I think what really helped is during the semester I read TPR content books and took notes alot. This helped build my foundation which is why I scored decent on the first practice test.

Im not really a verbal expert because I score usually 9-10. I think if I had more time I could do better because I get detail oriented questions wrong usually.

But when you take sciences dont let passages trip you up my general method is look at what is being tested (say Waves) find all the relevant info in the passage and move onto the question. Dont ponder on how complicated a graph on FM waves looks... just realize its an EM wave and recall what you know about EM waves.
Also time yourself so you dont end up rushing through easy questions and make careless errors.
Really read the questions like SUPER indepth. Sometimes one word in the question stem could totally screw you up.
And really be confident in your answers and dont pull the switcheroo so much. I got a 14 on Bio on AAMC 7 which was pretty complicated and was expecting like a 10.

My Day to day methods are

Practice test 3 times a week and review them thoroughly. Really look at every question.. make flashcards on stuff you get wrong and I also keep a document called "MCAT traps" where I just type up anything I missed because of a trick.

On nontest days I do spinach method quizzes and review super indepth and again make flashcards. And every night I try to do berkely review passages every night.

Content review is easy for me because I have my notes so I can literally read all my notes in a day as opposed to reading Content books which take forever.

Also before a test I always read the formula sheets and summary of organic reactions in my content books.

But like I said earlier, confidence and not making errors could bring up each of your sections 1-2 points which translates to a 3-6 point increase so realize that your not far off from your goal.

Hey man thanks for the response,

I think you really hit the nail on the head when u mentioned paying VERY close attention to the questions. I find that I make such ridiculous mistakes and it gets really frustrating. Ill definitely try to focus a lot more on what EXACTLY the question is asking.

Ive also been taking 3 practice tests a week and I follow the same method with the flashcards, i also keep a notebook for longer questions and passages of material i got wrong.

I feel like I hit a plateau, I am not sure why because I know that I know the material yet I keep making dumb mistakes, and 3 weeks out from my test the nerves are definitely starting to kick in- also I am going through a pretty stressful personal situation so I think my confidence has gone down the drain.

Ultimately, it seems like we modified the spinach method in pretty much the same way! lol

When are you taking your mcat by the way? good luck man! hopefully paying closer attention will help, not sure what else to change lol

June 21st same as you! and I hear you on the plateau man.. Literally been getting the same number on PS and Verbal right every time lol. But yea keep on doing what your doing and pay attention especially on the seemingly "easy" questions. Thats where they really get ya. But you never know test day something might click and youll be rockin it and avoid the mistakes. Good luck!

same to you man, if anything in particular works for you please remember to let me know! ill be sure to do the same over the next couple weeks!

good luck

Did you guys end up doing okay eventually? I'm in the same situation kind as you guys were

Yea I reached my goal score range! My best advice is try to analyze your AAMCs as detailed as possible, if u get something wrong go back to the content and do it all...and just keep going hard....if you have to hit content again bc if youre gettting in the 20s is prob a content issue even if you think its not ( i thought the same thing)

Reactions: 2 users
Yea I reached my goal score range! My best advice is try to analyze your AAMCs as detailed as possible, if u get something wrong go back to the content and do it all...and just keep going hard....if you have to hit content again bc if youre gettting in the 20s is prob a content issue even if you think its not ( i thought the same thing)
Thank you so much!!