Can't sleep. Did I violate NRMP code of conduct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabdel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was reading the NRMP code of conduct and looking back at my thank you note I might have violated one of the terms. Here's the original message I sent.

"Dear PD,
I hope you will seriously consider me for a position at your program. I am very interested in joining your staff and would be very fortunate if I match with your program. I look forward for the opportunity to work with you in June"

I guess I'm worried about the first line where It could be thought of me trying to influence him to rank me.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Take a deep breath and EXHALE !!!
Your note is no different from that send by countless applicants and just as likely to have no influence on the program's ranking process

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Take a deep breath and EXHALE !!!
Your note is no different from that send by countless applicants and just as likely to have no influence on the program's ranking process

I'm referring to whether this note csn be considered a match violation

No it cannot be considered a match violation . If it is then 90% of applicants are guilty of match violations.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get it. You said I like your program, many thanks. How could that be a match violation? Did you send him a new Porsche with the note?

Reactions: 3 users
As alluded to above, unless you sent something extra-ordinary with your thank you note, or said something like 'I'm only ranking you if you rank me to match' or some other such nonsense, you did not have undue influence with your thank you note. You did not have a match violation. Sending out a thank you note, even saying that you're going to rank the program #1 is not a match violation because the program is perfectly able to completely disregard your note and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Yesterday I was reading the NRMP code of conduct and looking back at my thank you note I might have violated one of the terms. Here's the original message I sent.

"Dear PD,
I hope you will seriously consider me for a position at your program. I am very interested in joining your staff and would be very fortunate if I match with your program. I look forward for the opportunity to work with you in June"

I guess I'm worried about the first line where It could be thought of me trying to influence him to rank me.

Any opinions?
I think you need to self report yourself..........ethics is not just something we can pick and chose on.

Do the right thing here.

Reactions: 1 user
Although I know J Dub's answer was sarcasm, the OP might not.

This is absolutely a non issue. It's not even close to a violation.

Reactions: 3 users

"Dear PD,

Any opinions?

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
When I received responses to thank you notes that I sent to program directors and the like, the phrase "I hope you will seriously consider [our program]" was something I often read. It's not a violation or any exercise of undue influence.

I know you're on edge. All of us in the match are. But let's not conjure up *even more* stuff to worry about than is already there.

Reactions: 1 users