About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't tell if VCOM is serious or trolling...

Discussion in 'Osteopathic' started by FutureDoctorrrr, May 7, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. FutureDoctorrrr

FutureDoctorrrr

Pre-Medical
  2. LSU Alex

LSU Alex The only good lawyer is a sick one...

Looking over your shoulder... No, the other one.
    Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    So I don't know much about VCOM. What jumped out at me in this article is that this school is located on/near Va Tech's campus, is looking at a branch school located on/near Auburn's campus, but is not trying to negotiate formal attachment to either? I mean wouldn't it make sense to become Va Tech College of Osteopathic Medicine? Or Auburn University College of Osteopathic Medicine? Don't we need more COMs attaching themselves to public universities and making use of their research/funding abilities? Maybe I'm missing something here. Did Va Tech not want this association? Is AU running away from that level of association?
  3. Packman2003

Packman2003

Medical Student
    V Tech Already has an affiliation with a new allopathic program - VT Carilion in Roanoke.
  4. LSU Alex

LSU Alex The only good lawyer is a sick one...

Looking over your shoulder... No, the other one.
    Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    VCOM's first class entered in 2003. VTC's first class entered in 2010. So, obviously, there wasn't already an affiliation with VTC. VTC, according to their website, wasn't announced til 2007 -- the same year VCOM graduated it's first class. So, did VCOM not try to secure an affiliation with VaTech? Also, it's not unheard of for universities to have DO and MD affiliations... and to have multiple medical school campuses.
  5. DocEspana

DocEspana Back from the wasteland

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    see: MSU.
  6. DrMediterranean

DrMediterranean

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Gotcha. They are not adding separate satellite schools but rather extra campuses and just expanding their class size? But that seems like a stretch because MSU's 3 campuses are all around 1 hour away from each other. These are in different states???? Makes more sense if these would different entities within themselves like ie. PCOM, PCOM-GA
  7. user3

user3 MS-0

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :thumbup::thumbup:
  8. DocEspana

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well I was just commenting that MSU supports both a MD and DO school and the world hasn't ended. There is plenty of room to train both, share some facilities and sites, and everyone is happy.

It makes me curious why VCOM hasnt made the same affiliation. I won't speculate in this case, as VCOM is one of the schools I know the least about.
  9. willen101383

willen101383 Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That article reads like it was written like a 4th grader......that has no idea what a DO is.
  10. elftown

elftown

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It is Alabama... ;)
  11. DrMediterranean

DrMediterranean

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    haha I misunderstood. This article is very poorly written. :eek:
  12. FutureDoctorrrr

FutureDoctorrrr

Pre-Medical
  13. user3

user3 MS-0

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Another unnecessary school needless to say, unless it becomes the Auburn University COM. I mean, there is already another DO school opening not far from there (ACOM, in 2013.)

And goodness with all the slights at DO's in that article (doctors of "osteopathy", "osteopathy schools", DO schools vs "medical" schools)
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  14. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is a strategic business move by both schools and nothing more. VCOM gets to utilize Auburn facilities and fulfill its mission for much less than it would cost to locate in an area separate from a major university. Auburn gets the recruitment benefit of having an "associated" osteopathic medical school without all of the logistics/liability involved in running one of their own.

For what it's worth, VCOM students in Blacksburg, as far as I know, can use pretty much anything at VT that they want to use. They do research in their labs, get library cards/access to their libraries, use their fitness facilities, get put into the lottery for football tickets, etc. It's just not a full blown relationship for what I believe are the reasons mentioned above.
  15. FutureDoctorrrr

FutureDoctorrrr

Pre-Medical

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  16. poopyhead

poopyhead

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    But yet, it's still not VT-COM (or even VCOM @ VT) or Auburn-COM. That's the big distinction right there.
  17. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    And that makes what difference? Prestige?

[EDIT]: Not really trying to defend VCOM's strategy one way or another. I will say, however, that VCOM does an unbelievable job fulfilling their mission and they're not one of the many overnight popup schools. They're very involved in the surrounding region and have my respect.
  18. user3

user3 MS-0

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well maybe if they had focused on improving and refining their original program in Blacksburg instead of opening more satellite campuses a-la LECOM or Touro or whatnot, maybe they would have been able to merge with VT by now.

Proposing to open yet ANOTHER 160+ student/year branch campus, much less within 100 miles of another similarly sized DO school, is preposterous. Regardless of how well they perform their mission, they are doing a disservice to students and to the profession.
  19. poopyhead

poopyhead

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It wouldn't hurt to have a larger percentage of DO schools opened by recognizable, national institutions, rather than these no-name, private LACs. If they're going to pump out more grads each year, might as well do it under the umbrella of the former.
  20. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can respect that argument in terms of improving the professional opinion of the DO degree. Again, that's all a prestige kind of thing and the importance of prestige is a very personal opinion I've found. However, I will ask what we do.. let the physician shortage continue to rise while established institutions do nothing? VT opened their own MD program.. they showed no interest in having a namesake DO school.

The problem here is bigger in my opinion. Schools open in underserved communities, reverse that trend (which is needed), but then continue to pump out grads long after the deficit has been addressed. This ultimately saturates the market. Pharmacy schools right now are a perfect example of this.

VCOM (and LECOM and others) fill a very important need... but what happens when the need in those communities is gone?
  21. user3

user3 MS-0

SDN 2+ Year Member
    VTC is also a private medical school and like VCOM I don't believe it is *officially* a part of VT.
  22. CiproFloxaFlame

CiproFloxaFlame New Member

Medical Student
    VCOM and VT-C have similar legal agreements/affiliations with Virginia Tech.
  23. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're right... I had no idea. Thank you. That speaks a lot toward VT's willingness to accept the responsibility/liability of having their own namesake program. It's interesting that they allowed the MD program to use their name while VCOM does not.

From VT's perspective, the partnerships seem to be positive so why bother?
  24. SharonCorrea

SharonCorrea

Pre-Medical
  25. Vita

Vita

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey all, VCOMer here to clear some things up.

VCOM is "affiliated" with VT and is on VT's campus (there is a part of the campus called the "research campus" that is on the other side of the VT airport, this is where the med school and many other research buildings are located). Also, students at VCOM are considered grad students on the main campus - they can use the gyms, get a meal plan, etc. From my experience on rotations, people mostly call VCOM "Va Tech's med school" and don't understand that there are actually two affiliated with Tech. I think this is mainly because VCOM is actually in Blacksburg/ more involved with campus life.

VTC is in Roanoke, right across from the Carillion hospital. It is about a 20-30 minute drive away from Blacksburg, so they are a bit more removed. They are also a "research" medical school, so they aim to train physician scientists rather than primary care. Because of this, the two schools actually compliment each other. IMO.

As far as the new school at Auburn - I haven't heard anything about it, but I wouldn't be surprised. VCOM is always looking to expand/ add new programs, etc. I heard they have been thinking of opening a dental school as well, which I think would probably be a better idea!
  26. Dr. Toaster

Dr. Toaster There and back again Gold Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I can second this commentary.

I also had not heard about this Auburn rumor, and I agree a dental school would be much more useful (especially where we are located).
  27. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dental school... definitely. RAM events are a prime example of why.
  28. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Fact.
  29. runnergirl16

runnergirl16

Medical Student
    I am not sure about a campus affiliated with Auburn but VCOM did open a campus in Spartanburg, SC. There is a loose affiliation with a small liberal arts school just to use its facilities. I would guess that VCOM does not attempt to be more deeply affiliated with a large university such as VT because then they would be more accountable for their actions and not be able to do whatever they want. Seems like most of the SC students are unhappy at this point.
  30. shaggybill

shaggybill

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I have several friends at this campus and from what I'm hearing, most students are actually quite happy there. Sure, there are a few problems here and there, but every school is going to have those.
  31. trauma12

trauma12 OMS-I

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm a first year at VCOM SC campus and speak for the majority in saying that we are very happy here. A few bumps in the road along the way, which can be expected at any school.
  32. LisaFrank

LisaFrank

Medical Student
    I'd like to point out that Auburn only had $2,200,000 in NIH funding last year, so it's not even close to being a major research university (by comparison, VTech had $20 million, which also is pretty small)
  33. E Hartman DO

E Hartman DO

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is NIH funding really that big of an issue? Historically DO schools across the board have not been highly involved in research. Just hasn't been the mission of most DO schools.

to runnergirl16... do you really think the reason VCOM is not more tightly affiliated with VT has to do with VCOM being able to "do whatever it wants" or the more logical conclusion that this was a VT board decision. The SC program students are not unhappy from what I have heard.
  34. DocEspana

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    First ever enrolled classes are, generally, terrible. But its not in a malignant way, its simply a matter of many bumps in the road and the fact that the schools often have to make do with some pretty scarce resources.

Glad to hear that you guys are taking it all in stride and still appreciating the experience. I think thats the best thing for a 1st enrolled class. To appreciate what they are still getting despite the bumps.
  35. runnergirl16

runnergirl16

Medical Student
    xxxxxx
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  36. E Hartman DO

E Hartman DO

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Sounds like a classic story of a disgruntled first year who has forgotten that she is privileged to be in medical school......way to go online and dump on your own school
  37. WDeagle

WDeagle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Its not a privilege when you pay $40,000 for it. She is paying for an education which is apparently below the quality of what she is paying for it.
  38. anonymously

anonymously

sounds like a classic story of a blinded lamb being led to the slaughter. keep drinking the kool-aid and acting like a tool by attacking the people who may or may not have legitimate concerns (her concern wasn't that big of a deal, about not being on vacation, but I have heard of unhappy students down there.) yes, i go to vcom, and yes i'm posting anonymously because it will be fairly easy for big brother to figure out who i am if i didn't. there are tons of people throughout every class disappointed with this 'institution.' to insinuate that a lack of pride by 'going online and dumping on your own school' is somehow a character flaw is kind of disturbing. get off your high horse, telling others they should remember how "privileged" they are.

there are tons of things going on at VCOM (or mostly, not going on) that people should be aware of. Like how after ten years they still don't have their **** together, things change on a yearly, monthly, weekly (daily?) basis and there's no institutional support/communication with the students they supposedly are "working very hard for." How bout instead of dropping $$$ on a second and third campus, you focus on developing the school you already have. How ridiculous does this sound. "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia" "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas" "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Alabama". It sounds like the University of Phoenix and it's disgusting. When we're already at a lack of quality 3rd year rotation sites...yes 3rd year is what you make of it, but if we're dropping 68000$ year on an education, you have the right to be upset about misappropriation of funds when those funds could be better used to make your clinical experiences better, instead of trying to open a campus anywhere that will be willing to take us. It's like they almost forgot the mission statement was to provide medical education to further practitioners planning on staying in rural Virginia. VCOM has "ideas" that sound good in our heads, but their execution is sorely lacking, secondary to disorganization/impracticality of such ideas in the first place is another debate. Anyone remember the mandatory 2 day bioterrorism day/seminar? I think we got a one hour lecture from a weather man. I think one student even asked about el nino. All this during board studying prime time. Case in point: Bioterrorism day = sounds cool. VCOM Bioterrorism day = don't think I learned about anthrax or anything like that.

and no, i've never had any run in with VCOM before you accuse my of being bitter and disgruntled because I was slighted in some way. i'm actually a good student. tip: if you go to vcom, fly under the radar and do what's best for you. you know what studying methods work for you. VCOM is super paternalistic and will want to hold your hand through everything (because "they want to see you succeed" or "they don't want themselves to look bad", either or is up for debate,) you just got to go through the motions of that and suck it up.
  39. E Hartman DO

E Hartman DO

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow, that was quite a rant. My point was 1. She was a first year and very small inconsequential things get blown up way out of proportion during this time and 2. it is absolutely ignorant to go online and blast the very institution that will be giving you your degree to practice medicine..... I'm sorry you're a disgruntled medical student as well (you are despite what you say or you wouldn't have gone off randomly on an online forum). Despite the fact that we pay for our medical education, you are still privileged to be earning a degree in medicine and VCOM is giving you that opportunity. Drinking the kool aid? I know VCOM's flaws but am not losing sight of the bigger picture. Plus, I know that ripping on my own school only relfects poorly on myself. I am sure your pessimism will take you far in life.
  40. runnergirl16

runnergirl16

Medical Student
    xxxxxx
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  41. xoxx

xoxx

Alabama has an outrageous need for rural practitioners right now.

They are opening a school in dothan, also wouldn't be surprised if the Auburn school pulls through.
  42. WDeagle

WDeagle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You can open up 20 med schools in alabama and it wont change a thing. Nobody is going to go practice family medicine in rural ass alabama unless there is some ridiculous incentive.
  43. sanityonleave

sanityonleave Adrenaline Junkie

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This. Also, there's nothing IN Auburn except the university... or anywhere nearby. The area wouldn't support a DO school even with COCA's relatively more lax attitude toward # of rotation sites available for students at the school.

ACOM makes some sense, though I still think that it's probably unnecessary, especially if they accept mostly in-state applicants. UAB and South Alabama have pretty much sucked up what talent is available in-state.
  44. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    M'eh.

Plenty of folks would consider ACOM over bordering DO schools or the Carib/Poland.

USA only has 75 seats and they tend to hold seats for the panhandle and surrounding regions. UAB with their ?175 seats doesn't fill the need for AL... also, they do take a fair number of OOS'ers... what, 30%?
  45. user3

user3 MS-0

SDN 2+ Year Member
    And ACOM will be the only new DO school with no federal student loans available. They will probably end up having lowest stats of all DO schools, even if they give no regional preferences in their selection process. It was unfortunate that they decided to make it a freestanding school.
  46. yodoc

yodoc

xxx
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  47. jengibre5224

jengibre5224 VCOM 2013 !!!

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If a medical school's mission is to provide rural primary care and the school recruits people who were raised in rural settings, those students will be more inclined to practice in rural primary care. I'm from a rural area, VCOM recruited me my freshman year of undergrad, and I am a 4th year at VCOM. I will be attending a rural VCOM residency and I will be practicing in a rural area in the Appalachians when I graduate. So yes, if VCOM starts a school in AL and recruits from rural Alabama there will be more people like me who practice in rural areas in the state the school is in. Additionally, if as a student your career goals do not parallel the main mission of the medical school, you either failed to do your research before matriculating or attended the only school you were accepted to and subsequently have lost sight of how privileged you are to get a very coveted education and career. VCOM's mission is very clearly stated that they aim to prepare osteopathic primary care physicians to practice in rural SW Virginia. I struggle to see why some VCOMers hate VCOM so much when VCOM does exactly what it has always said it would do. I loved and expected my rural rotations. P.S. To the anonymous poster I know who you are and your post is saddening. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience in rural VA. I hope you find happiness in your metropolitan 4th year audition rotations.
  48. ASAPRocky

ASAPRocky

:)
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  49. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Some of that bioterrorism stuff popped up on my Step II a few weeks ago too. So there's that also.
  50. HopeinMedicine

HopeinMedicine

Medical Student
    After reading through the multiple postings discussing pros and cons with regards to VCOM it is nice to see arguments for and against the institution as a whole. As a current second year student at VCOM cc I will agree that there have been "bumps" along the road and frustrations that test the merit of all students. It can easily be said that all new schools will have challenges and VCOM cc administrators are certainly making an effort to work out all of the kinks as we (the student body) continue to progress in our medical education. I believe our school as a group has developed a close and productive relationship with the administrators and various physicians with the goal of producing the best doctors possible. I think each student's experience at VCOM is based on how they choose to handle adversity. I can speak for many of my close friends who simply adapted to the changes and maintained an eye on the prize attitude which promoted a relatively smooth progression through the first year of medical school. I worked in the hosptial for many years during undergrad and can attest first hand that physicians must be early adapters to truly exceed as clinicians. Hospital protocol is always changing, patients are a never ending compilation of surprises and hardships and in the end it is the physicians responsibility to set the tone for how adversity is faced regardless of the scenario. Professors are quick to change lecture methods and how they present material if students display a confident, respectful and concerned desire to improve the education process. I have personally met with various educators and gladly vouch that every faculty member (physicians included) are working extremely hard to ensure VCOM cc students are prepared to become the best physicians possible. All in all I believe in VCOM and their mission and had a wonderful first year despite the changes and I truly believe I will be a better doctor in the future because of my ability to look for solutions instead of being clouded by the problems. Doctors are called to hold themselves to a higher standard and it is our responsibility to look for the best outcomes whether it be in schooling or the clinics/hospitals we will one day serve. VCOM cc is working extremely hard to lay the foundations for the future of health care, it is our job as students to rise above the challenges and take pride in how far we have come after only one year off attendance. I could not be more thankful to attend VCOM and look forward to becoming a proud graduating member within the next three years.