Can't Wake Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would someone suddenly have difficulty awakening? Two week duration now. Was on Lexapro and Sonata and both have been dc'd so no meds at all. Guy has 3 alarm clocks placed throughout his room. Last time I saw him he reported he thought he was in a dream that morning and was turning off his alarms in his dream. Sleeps 9.5 hours straight through. No hx of any sleep disturbances in past. What gives?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would someone suddenly have difficulty awakening? Two week duration now. Was on Lexapro and Sonata and both have been dc'd so no meds at all. Guy has 3 alarm clocks placed throughout his room. Last time I saw him he reported he thought he was in a dream that morning and was turning off his alarms in his dream. Sleeps 9.5 hours straight through. No hx of any sleep disturbances in past. What gives?

Sounds like this person needs a polysomnogram (perhaps with an MSLT the following day if psg is negative for osa).

Perhaps idiopathic hypersomnia?? Any alcohol? r/o hypersomnia secondary to depression. Check basic labs including tsh.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like this person needs a polysomnogram (perhaps with an MSLT the following day if psg is negative for osa).

Perhaps idiopathic hypersomnia?? Any alcohol? r/o hypersomnia secondary to depression. Check basic labs including tsh.

He was a little anemic and original FBS was slightly low but repeat FBS ok.

Members don't see this ad :)

Does he sleep extra on weekends (behaviorally induced insufficient sleep)? What hours has he traditionally slept (circadian misalignment or time zone change)? Any head trauma or neurological infections? Any sleep paralysis or cataplexy-like stuff? Also, are all three alarm clocks going off simultaneously or has he staggered them over a multi-minute period that is simply wrecking he last REM phase? He may be torturing himself with an hour or so of unnecessary wakeups...

Cut out alcohol, get some exercise and keep some regular sleep times. I'd check a thorough neurological exam just to be safe there isn't some anatomical problem starting. I agree he needs a regular sleep study first.

If the PSG is positive for OSA, then I'd get him PAP. If it's negative for SDB or PLMs, then I'd let him sleep as much as he wants for two weeks (keeping a sleep log), check a TSH and free T4, and do a PSG with MSLT (and UDS) to check for narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnolence, etc.

Other causes could be vitamin deficiency, low testosterone, anemia, bradycardia, drug abuse, stress, etc.

Keep us posted on the outcome!

I had say your friends should consider alternative medicine for it is obvious that traditional ways have failed. Also, using brutal methods to wake up will only worsen the situation, for the habit will keep overcoming bigger and bigger obstacle, which will result in only strengthening the habit/problem of not being able to wake up. If your friend can't fall asleep tell them to take some sleeping pills or they can can wake up an hour earlier with the alarm beeping through the night.

T-level 2.6, RBC 3.95, Hgb 13.2, Hct 40.5. Sleep study consult placed.