CAP Job Market Survey Underway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euchromatin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just emailed a link to the annual job market survey that CAP is doing. I was pleasantly surprised by how detailed it was. It seems like it could provide some valuable data if they get enough participation.

Specifically, it asked about where I found out about advertised vs unadvertised positions, how many positions of each type I applied to, how many interviews and offers were received, the general geographic region I was interested in working in and how it related to where my fellowship training occurred, the general types of jobs I was looking for and, for the job I took, what aspects I was satisfied with (i.e. work duties, salary, benefits, location, etc.), rough starting salary range, time to partnership track, etc. There was also general demographic information (age, gender, type of med school, field of fellowship study, # of fellowships, etc.) taken.

I don't think posting a direct link to the survey here in a public forum would be appropriate, but I would encourage anyone who has been out of training for three years or less and was looking for a job in the past academic year to contact the CAP so they can participate.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't eligible based on the dates. As I've stated in the past, dates matter and setting the inclusion dates as July 1 to now is stupid as there are still fellows out there that will secure employment.

If you started a job after July 1 2014 but stopped actively looking for employment prior to that date you are in eligible for this study.

Eligibility should be for anyone who finished training June 2014 or had an instructor level position prior to that time.

I wasn't eligible based on the dates. As I've stated in the past, dates matter and setting the inclusion dates as July 1 to now is stupid as there are still fellows out there that will secure employment.

If you started a job after July 1 2014 but stopped actively looking for employment prior to that date you are in eligible for this study.

Eligibility should be for anyone who finished training June 2014 or had an instructor level position prior to that time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your specific situation, but, if you were hunting for a job sometime between July 1, 2013 and mid-June, 2014 and started working last summer after July 1, 2014, wouldn't you have qualified to take the survey LAST year?

I see your point regarding the timing of the survey, though. With the survey open now until mid-June, they are missing out on data regarding type of employment secured by any fellows that happen to have landed a job during the last 2 weeks of June. In my personal experience, I've never heard of anyone getting a job this late in the academic year, but I'm sure it happens occasionally.