Cardiac MRI Fellowships, 2013-2014 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardsguy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm planning to apply for an advanced imaging fellowship this year.

I know the job market is less than perfect, but I figure I should train now while I'm in the training mind-frame (as well as anticipating the probable change in market in the near future). I also think that if for nothing else, this will allow me more preparation for an academic imaging career.

Wonder if anyone else has started sending in applications? Is this more of a "who do you know" rather than a "application"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm planning to apply for an advanced imaging fellowship this year.

I know the job market is less than perfect, but I figure I should train now while I'm in the training mind-frame (as well as anticipating the probable change in market in the near future). I also think that if for nothing else, this will allow me more preparation for an academic imaging career.

Wonder if anyone else has started sending in applications? Is this more of a "who do you know" rather than a "application"?
Hi, same situation here. Are u looking at 1yr or 2yr programs? I suppose 2yr programs are more geared towards an academic career although that seems a lot given the job market. 1yr should suffice for private practice with a large group in need for a cardiac imager along with doing general cardiology.
Any comments from fellows currently in advanced imaging programs?

I would also like to know. My impression is that a lot of the imaging fellowship are geared more toward learning one type of modality, like cMRI or echo, and readying for an academic career, when a lot of fellows would like to gain reasonable proficiency in multiple modalities, in order to prepare for the job market.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there are multiple imaging programs. Some are more clinical than others. Here is my take on the imaging programs that I interviewed at or had a talk with their program directors.

1. MGH: T32 grant, 75% research, mostly MRI heavy.
2. BWH: T32 grant or other funding mechanisms, 75-80% research, MRI heavy.
3. BIDMC: Warren Manning directs mostly a clinical program with level III in everything in 2 years. Did not meet anyone from here. Can't tell much.
4. UVA: great imaging center, Chris Kramer is a great guy, 4/5 days on research, 1 day clinical. Level III in CT/MRI in two years. specialty: vascular MRI imaging. None of the graduating fellows went into research, became noninvasive cardiologists.
5. Duke: MR training only, clinical, 1-2 years, solid MR training.
6. NIH: surprisingly a more clinical program as compared to others. Most people do 2 years. CT/MRI Level III is built in, one fellow got Level III in echo as NIH sent him to JHU for rotation.
7. Mayo: none for outsiders. Fellows on imaging track get Level III in all modalities.
8. Texas Heart: clinical program, 1 year, heavy volumes, level III in CT/MRI.
9. OHSU: clinical, 1-2 years, 2 years get Level III training in all, 1 year gets level III in CT/MRI

If you are looking for clinical programs: will suggest OHSU or NIH. OHSU had more depth of clinical cases.

Research; depends upon your research interest.

Job Market: fellows look for noninvasive jobs. Several years ago, they used to get hired for director of imaging positions, this does not happen anymore. Having an advanced imaging fellowship does not add much to your compensation. You may get some preference over other folks in the competitive markets.

Great list. Anyone know much about St.Francis CT/MRI fellowship with Dr.Reichek?
I cant find a contact person for that fellowship on their webpage.
Does anyone know: if you plan to train Level 3 in MRI (12 months in MRI), could you do echo for 6 months the same year and claim level 3 in echo (provided you are level 2 at the time of start of fellowship)?

Is it possible to find cardiac imaging jobs in private practice where ur basically like a radiologists doing mostly reads with minimal patient interaction? Is it possible? Common? Very rare?

Never heard of such a job. In private practice whoever reads an imaging study, takes $$ home. Why would another cardiologist want you to read his study?
And you cant order studies on any of your own patients without seeing them - either inpatient or outpatient, so you have to have patient interaction.

Personally, it would be very boring to read images all day.

Is it possible to find cardiac imaging jobs in private practice where ur basically like a radiologists doing mostly reads with minimal patient interaction? Is it possible? Common? Very rare?
I have not seen any such jobs listed. Maybe at a big academic center you could find something like that. I doubt you'd find it in private practice.