Cardio Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncology2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting field combining cardio and oncology. Seems more academic. But there are potential opportunities in oncology for cardiologists to increase their revenue stream. Do you think peripheral interventionalist will ever do catheter-based tumor ablations? Interventional radiologists do it without formal training in oncology and oncologists seem to have no interest in doing procedures.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt an interventional cardiologist would be caught dead doing tumor ablations, nor do they have the appropriate training. It's a lot more complicated than performing ETOH septal ablations, and I think (though I could be wrong) less lucrative than PCI. I don't see any interventional radiologists basing their entire practice upon tumor ablations...

Cardio-oncologists deal with the cardiac side effects of chemotherapy, and help usher patients with heart failure through chemotherapy. These are not the people interested in interventional procedures (they actually believe in evidence based medicine).

p diddy

lol yeah these are people dealing with chemo and radiation induced cardiomyopathy. This is not a procedure based practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ridiculously misinformed post. IR's don't have formal training in IO? Do you have any clue what IR training entails? They invented the field of IO for god's sake. TACE, TARE, percutaneous ablation, etc.

Typical cardiologist mentality to try and milk the system for financial gain.

Ridiculously misinformed post. IR's don't have formal training in IO? Do you have any clue what IR training entails? They invented the field of IO for god's sake. TACE, TARE, percutaneous ablation, etc.

Typical cardiologist mentality to try and milk the system for financial gain.

I was referring to them not having as much formal training in the actual field of oncology especially when compared to rad onc (4+ yrs of training in oncology) and medical onc (2-3 years). Was not referring to the actual procedures of IO--clearly they have training in those. I'm sure this will change as more IO fellowships start up and the field grows. Was just curious if cardio oncology fellowships would ever expand into the field of IO specifically cathether-based interventions. Got my answer.

1. As part of diagnostic radiology, residents spends years studying images to diagnose tumors and evaluate treatment response, and they are intimately involved in tumor boards. Oncology is a huge part of general radiology training.
2. IR fellows see patients in oncology clinic.
3. One of the reasons IR is becoming it's own residency next year is because of the need to expand the oncology training that current residents/fellows already get.

So, again, cardiologists have no business being involved in oncology.

1. As part of diagnostic radiology, residents spends years studying images to diagnose tumors and evaluate treatment response, and they are intimately involved in tumor boards. Oncology is a huge part of general radiology training.
2. IR fellows see patients in oncology clinic.
3. One of the reasons IR is becoming it's own residency next year is because of the need to expand the oncology training that current residents/fellows already get.

So, again, cardiologists have no business being involved in oncology.

Frankly, considering the amount of anger in your replies (to admittedly silly question for sure)I feel that milking the system and protecting IR part of the cake is actually your absolute priority. Tumor ablation procedures have no evidence to support their use whatsoever and only add cost to ridiculously overinflated oncology related healthcare expenditures.

On the side note, Once CMS grows some balls to go after oncology as they have been going after cards, the golden era of pouring chemoRx into cadavers and billing for it will end. Recurrence free survival? Survival benefit of 3 weeks with no quality of life and 5 figure price tags? Seriously. Same applies to tumor ablations and TAVR in 90yo pts obviously.

Regards

No evidence to support their use? You are clearly as ignorant as the OP. I'd recommend picking up a medical journal and reading it. You might learn something.

Regards

No evidence to support their use? You are clearly as ignorant as the OP. I'd recommend picking up a medical journal and reading it. You might learn something.

Regards

And you are clearly not capable of having conversation without insulting everyone. RFA is a palliative option in unresectable HCC and yeah I wasn't accurate in what wrote that there is no evidence. What I meant was rather its impact in most pts which essentially prolongs life by several months although not sure what happened with this field since 2013 when I was reading bit more on this. Off topic anyway.
Regards

The entire field of oncology is measured by months of survival. Particularly when dealing with more advanced disease and aggressive tumors. Cure can be achieved if diagnosed early enough.

As far as I'm concerned, making blatantly wrong comments on a subject that one has no knowledge of (as you have done and shown) is justification for vitriol.