Cardiology 2010-2011 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview: univ of vermont :thumbup:

interviews thus far:
- baylor
- vermont

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
interview: univ of vermont :thumbup:

interviews thus far:
- baylor
- vermont

Congrats nstemi, can you please post your credentials ?

IMG/AMG, Residency at University program/community hospital, PGY2/ PGY3, USMLE, research back ground and more..... if you don't mind........

It seems that the programs are gone into Christmas vacations now...Let's just relax now guys and good luck all for 2011!

I am DO resident at a community program here in chicago. I have applied to a few of the university programs in the chicagoland area, specifically Rush.

I have excellent board scores, great letters, but only took Comlex. The Rush website does not state if they require USMLE scores I was just wondering if anyone had any info on that. I am waiting for program assistant to write back.

Also, Rush's website states they won't "review" the applications until Jan 15, there deadline, and will only review if the application is complete. I am just waiting for some LORS to load, should I apply now and attach the letters later. Or just wait to send everything at once?

U of Az rejection - this is only response from the programs so far.
u of Wash Seattle - info email that they have received my application

I have a question to all the seniors and Program Coord in the forum

how much does USMLE scores and attempts matter during fellowship application? is that a filtering criteria for all programs because i did nt see any score/attempt criteria in most of the program website?

any input will be appreciated.

wishing you all a happy new year
thanks

Penn state offered invites via email this morning. Two dates available Feb 11 and 18th.

We should probably make a separate thread for interviews since they are slowly starting to trickle in.

looks like florida jacksonville is sending out interviews now :D.

-baylor houston
-jacksonville florida

This discussion thread is the place to discuss interviews. The easiest way to use this thread is to maintain a running alphabetical list of programs, notification dates/sources, and interview dates. Whenever you hear from a program, copy the list into your post and update it. Here's the list so far:

U of Arizona (rejection e-mail 12/7): dates?
Baylor (interview e-mail 12/10): dates?
U of Florida (interview e-mail 1/1): dates?
Penn State (interview e-mail 12/31): 2/11, 2/18
U of Vermont (interview e-mail 12/20): dates?

Example:
Program (interview/rejection e/snail-mail date): interview dates

Congrats nstemi, can you please post your credentials ?

IMG/AMG, Residency at University program/community hospital, PGY2/ PGY3, USMLE, research back ground and more..... if you don't mind........

amg
top univ program
99's
research, but not terribly significiant

good luck all, sounds like things start to pick up mid-jan into feb. happy new year.

This discussion thread is the place to discuss interviews. The easiest way to use this thread is to maintain a running alphabetical list of programs, notification dates/sources, and interview dates. Whenever you hear from a program, copy the list into your post and update it. Here's the list so far:

Example:
Program (interview/rejection e/snail-mail date): interview dates

Updating the list with one more program

East Carolina University (rejection e-mail 12/17)

do programs generally have separate IV dates for AMGs and IMG/FMGs, as in residency programs, for Cards fellowships too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,
I need guidance from all you guys, I am PGY 3 resident from University affiliated community program. I could not apply for Cardiology on time and now i reviewed the application guidelines and many programs ( like 36) had application deadline of Dec 31st. I am applying tomorrow, Should i still apply to those programs or just avoid those as they wont review the application any more? Please advise me, I thank you all in advance,

do programs generally have separate IV dates for AMGs and IMG/FMGs, as in residency programs, for Cards fellowships too?

Not sure about rest of the programs but my program does not. In my program internal candidates are interviewed on one day and external on other dates.

Hello Everyone,
I need guidance from all you guys, I am PGY 3 resident from University affiliated community program. I could not apply for Cardiology on time and now i reviewed the application guidelines and many programs ( like 36) had application deadline of Dec 31st. I am applying tomorrow, Should i still apply to those programs or just avoid those as they wont review the application any more? Please advise me, I thank you all in advance,

They may or may not review it but you should still give it a try. Good luck..

Hello Everyone,

If you're not concerned about the 25 dollars per program, go for it.

If you're not concerned about the 25 dollars per program, go for it.
36 * 25=900$! I would call tomorrow each of those 36 programs and ask the prog coordinator before paying all this money..im pretty sure you will need it for interviewing later on!

I haven't heard of a fellowship program doing this, but that doesn't mean that no one is out there doing it. Sounds like a logistical nightmare that is ultimately unproductive.

:luck:

this sounds very weird to me and it gives me kind of red flag about that particular program ,I am an IMG myself and I would simply decline the interview offer at that place if I know about such behaviour beforehand:mad:.

In my opinion,fellowship programs are interested in picking up the best candidates based on credentials ,merits and qualifications regardless of their country of origin or nationality.

well dabigatran,for sure that has been a common practice during IM residency interviews-esp at academic centers with few IMGs.......and the reason is probably more a visa/lesser known med school from abroad issue than anything discriminatory....................

well dabigatran,for sure that has been a common practice during IM residency interviews-esp at academic centers with few IMGs.......and the reason is probably more a visa/lesser known med school from abroad issue than anything discriminatory....................

Well, First, I don't think Visa status will make any difference WHICH day or WHO are your Co-interviewee (Because it won't change anything ).
as Progcoordinator pointed it is none productive and pointless.

second, the rule of international medical school reputation (whether it is well known or not) during fellowship application is very minimal or nil, and it is beyond the scope of training program to verify international medical schools (this is the job of the ECFMG and FSMB).

As I mentioned earlier the programs will be interested in more subjective ,easily verifiable facts (Like your current residency program, your LoRs and WHO wrote them, your research and publications, your interview skills and may be your Board scores if they were requested ).

Good Luck

Well, First, I don't think Visa status will make any difference WHICH day or WHO are your Co-interviewee (Because it won't change anything ).
as Progcoordinator pointed it is none productive and pointless.

second, the rule of international medical school reputation (whether it is well known or not) during fellowship application is very minimal or nil, and it is beyond the scope of training program to verify international medical schools (this is the job of the ECFMG and FSMB).

As I mentioned earlier the programs will be interested in more subjective ,easily verifiable facts (Like your current residency program, your LoRs and WHO wrote them, your research and publications, your interview skills and may be your Board scores if they were requested ).

Good Luck

Sorry to say that but its bitter truth that interviewees did get discriminated on the basis of FMG and AMG. I am a good example of FMG not getting interviwes though I am not sure whats wrong with my credentials:
Did medicine from a very good college in India
Good USMLE scores not 99 though
Residency from a great university affiliated community program and rotated through university as well
Have abstract published at JACC, Circulation, NEJM,
Have letters from University based big researcher, with whom I worked for 3-4 yrs during my residency
Now doing hospitalist and will be doing 1 yr heart failure fellowship at one of the top university program next year
Presented papers at ACC, AHA
Did not get any interviews in California last year
Have green card

Not sure I will get even interviews this year.

Sorry to say that but its bitter truth that interviewees did get discriminated on the basis of FMG and AMG. I am a good example of FMG not getting interviwes though I am not sure whats wrong with my credentials:
Did medicine from a very good college in India
Good USMLE scores not 99 though
Residency from a great university affiliated community program and rotated through university as well
Have abstract published at JACC, Circulation, NEJM,
Have letters from University based big researcher, with whom I worked for 3-4 yrs during my residency
Now doing hospitalist and will be doing 1 yr heart failure fellowship at one of the top university program next year
Presented papers at ACC, AHA
Did not get any interviews in California last year
Have green card

Not sure I will get even interviews this year.

Sorry for your bad experience last year ,I really don't know what is wrong because your application and credentials are very strong and more than enough to match ,doing year of CHF/Transplant fellowship definitely gonna help you and it shows that you are determined to get what you want.

Did you tried outside california ? because from what I know it is very tough to match in California even for local grads !!!

Good Luck

Sorry for your bad experience last year ,I really don't know what is wrong because your application and credentials are very strong and more than enough to match ,doing year of CHF/Transplant fellowship definitely gonna help you and it shows that you are determined to get what you want.

Did you tried outside california ? because from what I know it is very tough to match in California even for local grads !!!

Good Luck

No I did not tried outside California. Though i do know that few of FMG's did get matched in California. I feel that my big drawback is being an FMG, or my scores which are not 99. Anyway, hope for the best this year. Good luck to you too.

...First Interview invitation ,,,,,Texas Heart :thumbup:

So far
Interview BCM and THI
Rejection U Mich :(

IMG, visa, top 20 univ program, substantial research/publications, strong LORs, 99,99, 86

Hey..congrats .... can you tell us about ur credentials? AMG or IMG? visa status? Research??

IMG (From Africa) on J1 visa , Currently a PGY2 in a good program
double IM board certified (from home country and from England with MRCP) ,,,,can't wait to make it a Triple next year :D

I was a Cardiology fellow before coming to the states (with good volume of procedures ..left/right heart caths /Echos/stress tests..etc)

research: One small pilot study (not finished yet), 5 Manuscripts ,2 poster presentation at ACP and 1 at ACC meeting.
Excellent letters (2 from well known cardiologist) ,,scores (99/99/95).
Aiming for interventional afterward :xf:

Good Luck

Hello all, happy to join you, congrats for those who got interviews and good luck for those waiting, including me. :)

U of Arizona (rejection e-mail 12/7): interview dates?
Baylor (interview e-mail 12/10): interview dates?
East Carolina University (rejection e-mail 12/17): interview dates?
U of Florida (interview e-mail 1/1): interview dates?
U of Michigan (rejection e-mail 1/6): interview dates?
Texas Heart (interview e-mail 1/7): interview dates?
U of Vermont (interview e-mail 12/20): interview dates?

Please try to update the list when you post new interview invitations or rejections. Simply copy the list into your post and add the new information. Thanks!

U Mich: rejection
BCM: Inv, Feb 25th
THI: Inv, Feb 4th
MGH: Inv, Feb 14th, Feb 28th, Mar 14th

If anybody has inv at THI, I will highly appreciate if you can let me know your interview dates. Thanks

Baylor (interview e-mail 12/10): 2/25
Texas Heart (interview e-mail 1/7): 2/4, 2/25

Mass General (interview e-mail date ?): 2/14, 2/28, 3/14

texas heart interview.

interviews:
- baylor
- vermont
- texas heart

Just FYI. Although, you might have received this email already. Johns Hopkins and Univ. of Cin sent emails that they will send interviews in early Feb.

So far

IV's
Baylor
THI
Vermont

Rej
U Mich Ann Arbor
U Arizona
East Carolina Univ

MGH IV's already out?
Cards 2012 could you please share your credentials. Congrats on the invites

Hello everyone!

Joining the forum. Haven't got a lot of great news to share. I was beginning to think whether interviews are slow this year.

Interview offer from Cleveland Clinic (Invited, 1/6)

Did I hear someone getting an actual offer from MGH? Would love to hear more.

Thanks!

CC

Cleveland Clinic (interview e-mail 1/6): interview dates?
Mass General (interview e-mail date ?): 2/14, 2/28, 3/14

boston university interview.

interviews:
- baylor
- vermont
- texas heart
- bu

Northwestern rejection

Baylor interview
THI interview

Last edited:
Not a stellar application- really down to earth credentials.
top 20 university program
some research but not cards publications/presentations
good clinically

Rejection Northwestern :thumbdown:

Only one interview thus far.

Univ of Florida

Mass General (interview e-mail date 01/11): 2/14, 2/28, 3/14
Northwestern (Rejection e-mail 01/13): Interview dates ?
BU (Interview email 01/13): interview dates ?

Last edited:
the above list could get ugly once the interviews start coming. dates aren't as helpful as when we applied to residency, because each applicant is given 1 or 2 dates (and these are often different from other applicants offered interviews). how about we do it this way and if you have questions about dates then you could email the individual:

programs interviewing
:

baylor (houston): tius, nstemi, cards2012, amplatz, yayarea
boston university: nstemi
cleveland clinic: commotio cordis
florida: tius, metoprolol
mass general: cards2012
penn state: boyz of 4d
texas heart: dabigatran, cards2012, nstemi, amplatz, yayarea
vermont: nstemi, amplatz

programs rejecting
:

arizona
east carolina
michigan
northwestern

the above list could get ugly once the interviews start coming. dates aren't as helpful as when we applied to residency, because each applicant is given 1 or 2 dates (and these are often different from other applicants offered interviews). how about we do it this way and if you have questions about dates then you could email the individual:

programs interviewing:

baylor (houston): tius, nstemi, cards2012, amplatz, yayarea
boston university: nstemi
cleveland clinic: commotio cordis
florida: tius, metoprolol
mass general: cards2012
penn state: boyz of 4d
texas heart: dabigatran, cards2012, nstemi, amplatz, yayarea
vermont: nstemi, amplatz

programs rejecting:

arizona
east carolina
michigan
northwestern

That sounds better to me !
I was confused with the interview dates one ,I don't know what is the importance of knowing the dates anyway unless someone wants to swap dates !!

Exactly. It's useful to know when each program is interviewing so you know if there are interview dates that work for you. You don't necessarily need to swap; you could just ask the program to switch.

Boston U (interview email 1/13): interview dates?
Mass General (interview e-mail date 01/11): 2/14, 2/28, 3/14
Northwestern (rejection e-mail 1/13): interview dates?
Tufts (interview e-mail 1/13): interview dates?