Cardiology 2010-2011 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewing:
duke
ucla
cedars
scripps
emory
umass
boston u
uc davis
kaiser la
ohsu
mount sinai

rejected
northwestern
mgh
univ chicago
john hopkins
harbor-ucla

Members don't see this ad.

IVs:
baylor
cleveland
columbia
duke
emory
mass gen
northwestern
nyu
wash u (STL)
Mayo - MN
Mayo-FL
ucla
unc
utsw
vandy

Rejections
cedar sinia
emory
u wash

What the hell... emory and u wash were my BACK-UPs?!

Credentials:
- top medical school/residency
- USMLE: 99s (>270s)
- 5 publications (Lancet, NEJMx2, JAMA, JACCx2)
- perfect score on ITE as an intern
- named top 10 best looking IM residents of 2010 by US News & World Report
- considered Top 1% of "ladies men" in the LA & Miama
- you heard of Pradaxa.... yeah, that's named after me

Ok, obviously I'm joking.... just trying to lighten the mood a little. Boys (and girls), who invites & rejects you is out of your hands now. Just enjoy the ride.

-- Dr. Smooth :banana:

I was reading thru your list and was actually taking it seriously till I saw the line about the perfect ITE score :laugh:. I have nothing else to add except Upenn is now interviewing.

IVs:
baylor
cleveland
columbia
duke
emory
mass gen
northwestern
nyu
wash u (STL)
Mayo - MN
Mayo-FL
ucla
unc
utsw
vandy

Rejections
cedar sinia
emory
u wash

Credentials:

Ok, obviously I'm joking.... just trying to lighten the mood a little. Boys (and girls), who invites & rejects you is out of your hands now. Just enjoy the ride.

Members don't see this ad :)
IVs:
baylor
cleveland
columbia
duke
emory
mass gen
northwestern
nyu
wash u (STL)
Mayo - MN
Mayo-FL
ucla
unc
utsw
vandy

Rejections
cedar sinia
emory
u wash

Credentials:

very impressive credentials,:idea: the only issue I disagree with you about is Pradaxa, cuz it is mine ...:laugh:

Silent observer for a while, so I thought I should finally contribute.

Creds: Poor step I, much better Step II/III, Upper tier residency, active in basic science research during residency with one first auth pub submitted, great LOR.

IV:
Penn St
Michigan
Hopkins
Pitt
Rochester

Rej:
Ohio State
MGH

Pending:
Mayo MN
Yale
Dartmouth
BWH
BIDMC
Upstate

Interviewing, but I have not heard either way:
Vermont
Buffalo
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn - can somebody confirm this?

got interview from Mount Sinai Medical center at Miami beach. Does anyone know about the program? Apparently it's affiliated to Columbia University.

interview at uwashington!

Last edited:
so far only rejects

credentials: 99/93/91. PhD. multiple publications and book chapters. :confused:

U Wash Seattle... finally an IV after days of silence... HAPPYYYYYYY:laugh::laugh::laugh::D

I thought THI and Baylor were the same program? I didn't see a separate THI fellowship on ERAS:confused:

IV Mt Sinai. previous email wrong.
same thing happened with THI.. automated rejection with simultaneous iv email. :confused:

programs interviewing:

arizona: nstemi, DKUS, WTF99
baylor (houston): tius, nstemi, cards2012, amplatz, yayarea
boston university: nstemi
buffalo: Boyz of 4d
cleveland clinic: commotio cordis
colorado: nstemi
east carolina: dkus
emory: wtf99
florida: tius, metoprolol
gwu: nstemi
iowa: cards2012, nstemi, amplatz, joejabjab
kaiser permanante LA: WTF99, cathemall
methodist-houston: nstemi
mgh: cards2012
missouri-columbia: amplatz
mount sinai (nyc): nstemi, cards2012
mount sinai (urban community program): Boyz of 4d
north carolina: nstemi
north western: cathemall, cards2012
ohsu: amplatz
oklahoma: tius
penn state: boyz of 4d
pitt: cards2012
texas heart: dabigatran, cards2012, nstemi, amplatz, yayarea, tius, tigermike37,
university of rochester: Boyz of 4d
utsw: joejabjab
uthsc: HB700
vermont: nstemi, amplatz, wtf99
virginia: wtf99
uc davis: cathemall, boyz of 4d
ucla: cathemall

Members don't see this ad :)
schools that are interviewing that haven't been said yet:

Kentucky
Indiana
Wake Forest

Hey everyone, new to the forum, wanted to update about my apps in case anyone else is looking for information about them. Still waiting on many... GL!

IV:
Columbia
UPMC
UVA
U of Chicago
Brown
Vermont
UMass

WL:
JHH

Reject:
Mt Sinai NYC
U of Michigan
OSU
Texas Heart

Last edited:
Anyone hear from Upenn or maryland? or know of someone that has?

Hey y'all, I notice some people here have already 10+ interviews, unless u guys are considering going to all of them, pls notify the programs on time if you are not so they can invite more people.

So far, applied to 69 programs, 13 rejections 3 interviews. (One of which is my own school)

PGY3, FMG 99/96, published basic science research, J1, CMR, letters from very important people, big University program.

I hope this picks up

IV GT/WHC, any info on the program?
Rej from UMass

Gee. Rough day today, 4 rejections already, WashU, UPMC, UCSD and GT

Chief medical resident/ Attending at University program, 25 abstracts, 12 papers published, 5 case reports, still no interview so far, 7 rejection in one day today

UPMC
U Mass
GT/WHC
Wash U
UCSD
Stanford Connecticut
Loma linda

Rejection Creighton Univ. Waiting list GTU/WHC.
Rej from UMass

GT/WHC is based on WHC, a decent program, they claim they are the biggest EP, Cath lab in the country "volume wise", huge heart failure service. Research is moderate though.

I am on the waitlist.. I do not know what does that realy mean.

WTF99, can you pleaese tell us about your credentials? thanks

By the way guys, when you say Wash U. Is it George Washington Unviersity. Or University of Washington, Seatle?

Last edited:
Black Friday-slammed with rejs from-
UPMC
U Mass
GT/WHC
Creighton

4 rejections this AM
U Mass, UPMC, UCSD and GT/WHC !
Haven't heard from Creighton ,,,may be the rejection is on the way :D

I don't care anymore !!!

IV at Univ. of Utah

No more counting rejections

IV Creighton

Rejection UPMC, UCSD, U Mass, and Wash U

No update from GWU/WHC

Any DO residents out there? Where are you getting invitations from? :confused:

Rej from UMass

Regarding Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center (GT/WHC) Cardiology from what I recall in the past

Was a great clinical program--High volume (ie==very busy services across the board--cath, HF, imaging), high diversity of pathology (cases are helicopter-ed from all over the DC metro area), ample clinical research opportunities and lots of research and elective time to accomplish goals. Great camaraderie b/w faculty and happy fellows (though perhaps more private setting than other university programs because of Medstar). Probably lacking in basic science training research opportunities compared to peer institutions not making it a good fit for future laboratory minded individuals.

Also, WHC is a top tier (USNWR #19) clinical training program (peers from regions outside the mid-Atlantic would include Cedars Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia, Duke--based on general reputation and institutions noted in NEJM from PARTNER trial for TAVI); Georgetown and Washington Hospital Center merged under Medstar > 10 years ago--which is why WHC is specifically more known, though GT has the legacy of Proctor Harvey (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ob.../w_proctor_harvey_89_pioneering_cardiologist/).

Last edited:
Regarding Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center (GT/WHC) Cardiology from what I recall in the past

Was a great clinical program--High volume (ie==very busy services across the board--cath, HF, imaging), high diversity of pathology (cases are helicopter-ed from all over the DC metro area), ample clinical research opportunities and lots of research and elective time to accomplish goals. Great camaraderie b/w faculty and happy fellows (though perhaps more private setting than other university programs because of Medstar). Probably lacking in basic science training research opportunities compared to peer institutions not making it a good fit for future laboratory minded individuals.

Also, WHC is a top tier (USNWR #19) clinical training program (peers from regions outside the mid-Atlantic would include Cedars Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia, Duke--based on general reputation and institutions noted in NEJM from PARTNER trial for TAVI); Georgetown and Washington Hospital Center merged under Medstar > 10 years ago--which is why WHC is specifically more known, though GT has the legacy of Proctor Harvey (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ob.../w_proctor_harvey_89_pioneering_cardiologist/).

Thanks for the information. It was really helpfull

Rejection Creighton Univ. Waiting list GTU/WHC.

GT/WHC is based on WHC, a decent program, they claim they are the biggest EP, Cath lab in the country "volume wise", huge heart failure service. Research is moderate though.

I am on the waitlist.. I do not know what does that realy mean.

WTF99, can you pleaese tell us about your credentials? thanks

By the way guys, when you say Wash U. Is it George Washington Unviersity. Or University of Washington, Seatle?

Thanks, IMG/Harvard MPH/top university program/99,99,92/Basic science research with multiple publications and presentations

LSU wait list, anyone else got that?

Brown and UMDNJ camden/Cooper university are inviting.

Anyone hear from NYU traditional clinician educator pathway? I've heard the research ones are already inviting.

LSU wait list, anyone else got that?

This is what I got. I took it as a rejection! Is yours different?

Thank you for applying to our fellowship. Unfortunately, due to the high number of applicants, only a small percentage could be selected for an interview. If we find it necessary to schedule additional interviews, your application will be revisited.

This is what I got. I took it as a rejection! Is yours different?

Thank you for applying to our fellowship. Unfortunately, due to the high number of applicants, only a small percentage could be selected for an interview. If we find it necessary to schedule additional interviews, your application will be revisited.

I got the same sh**. A friend of mine got a different version though, so I interpret this as wait list. Although, you may be right. Let's see...

Hi ,
Any body done with the interview at Texas Heart ?
can you please share your experience ?
Mine will be within few weeks .

Good Luck

Hi Guys, I need some advise from you guys, currently I am on PGY-3 On J1 clinical visa (ECFMG sponsored) and I have opportunity to do Cardiology research at Big University institution here in NY, however ECFMG can not sponsor J1 clinical visa for research/Post Doc fellowships, converting J1 clinical to J1 research is lot of pain i guess including petition to Dept of State for visa category change and I didn't get much info on that. Any experience, suggestions, advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.