Cardiothoracic or vascular surgery fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corazonred

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two. I can see myself doing either.

From talking to thoracic surgeons, I get different view points, "do it" "don't do it" "it gets boring" "there's going to be shortage" "there isn't much work". I'm not convinced thoracic surgery will make a comeback but I know it won't die off. There will always be positions but not many. Just not sure I want to deal with the politics aspect of it and have been warned by others. Cardiologists at my institutions have begun percutaneous valve placement so I see a grim future for CT guys. If this takes off, it'll be a big blow to the CT field. I find the chest a great anatomical area to work on but am not passionate about it and that may be a hint that it may not be worth the effort.

I have a potential vascular surgery spot at my own program that is available I think. Vascular is good work, lots of endovascular procedures for central and peripheral vessels, potential vein work in clinic for cash income, very hot job market, I can get good training at this program. I have always respected vascular guys I've worked with. Very low key, solid people.

I guess what I'm saying is that I see lots of negatives for thoracic and since I'm not that passionate about it, I'm not sure I want to take a chance. Your opinions about my train of thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it sounds like you have already made up your mind. My advice is ...

1. to go with whichever field holds your passion. The rest will work itself out and you'll be happier.

2. your posts states a lot of pros for vascular and all cons for CT surg, so I'm not sure why you are even considering CT surg.

3. the more people choosing something other than CT surg, then the more opportunities for those within the field (my diabolical reasoning) ... :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about in cardiac or thoracic? My viewpoint is skewed since I'm in an academic setting, but it's my impression that you'd be choosing one or the other.

And personally, I'd consider Thoracic long before Cardiac or Vascular. Cardiologists, cardiac and vascular surgeons might be fighting over the same procedures....but who else is going to be fighting over the lung resections?

Are you talking about in cardiac or thoracic? My viewpoint is skewed since I'm in an academic setting, but it's my impression that you'd be choosing one or the other.

And personally, I'd consider Thoracic long before Cardiac or Vascular. Cardiologists, cardiac and vascular surgeons might be fighting over the same procedures....but who else is going to be fighting over the lung resections?
People are fighting over getting to do that? News to me... I kid I kid

vascular surgery has become more competitive compared to cardiothoracics, from what i've seen.
many programs that i see are gearing more and more to the thoracic side rather than cardiac. Doing mediastinal, lung and even easophagus cases.

vascular surgery has become more competitive compared to cardiothoracics, from what i've seen.
many programs that i see are gearing more and more to the thoracic side rather than cardiac. Doing mediastinal, lung and even easophagus cases.

Cardiothoracic training encompasses both cardiac and general thoracic components. There are two tracks available, a general thoracic track and a cardiothoracic track. Each track has case requirements that tilt towards either thoracic or cardiac. Programs are not gearing more to the thoracic side now, though I think that more people are going into the field to practice thoracic surgery rather than cardiac surgery.

I apologise for bumping this thread, but I'm essentially in the same position as the OP. I like both fields, but, while I like minimally-invasive and endovascular stuffs, I feel open surgery is what drives me to both fields.

1. How will the SURTAVI as well as EXCEL and NOBLE change CT surgery? Will there be enough CABGs and valves around in the future for community CT surgeons? Or will CT surgery be concentrated in academics?

2. While CT surgery is still largely "open", what's up with open vascular surgery? It seems vascular is getting less open and more endovascular.
What cases can still be done open in community settings, then? Will the newer generations of vascular surgeons eventually need additional fellowship training to do open surgical interventions, such as open AAA repair?

3. If I want to do big open whack stuffs in the academics/community settings, would CT be the better bet than vascular?

Oh, and I would like to know how the OP's doing now?

Thanks!

I think you need to research more as you are judgemental being leaned towrds vascular