Cardiothoracic surgery residency in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oniks411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here. I'm 4th year med. student and I want to apply for cardiothoracic residency in Europe, after graduation. Which proggrams do you recommend for me to cosider while making my decision ?
P.S. Is the residency 6 years everywhere or it's different in each country?
I would really be grateful if you give me any advice. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the residency varies from country to country. In most countries, it takes longer than 6 years to become a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Do keep in mind that unlike in the US, Europe doesn't have stringent durations for residency training. This means that surgeons can finish training anytime between 6-9 years (really depends on a lot of factors.) Also the curricula are not nearly as organized and methodical in most European countries (with the exceptions of UK, Ireland and may be Switzerland.) Exposure to cases/procedures is also comparatively low.

That being said, some countries (like Germany) do produce excellent surgeons. It's just that it can take a long long time before you attain that skill and expertise.

Thank you very much. I would appreciate other advices as well :))