cards board exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudshadow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly how many different board certifications are required in a 3 yr cards fellowship?
I'm assuming echo, nuclear, general...

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly how many different board certifications are required in a 3 yr cards fellowship?

one. the general cardiology boards.

all other boards are extra and not required in order to practice. they can be used as leverage for certain jobs/positions (ie echo boards if you want to direct an echo lab, etc.)

p diddy

ABIM Cardiovascular Diseases boards are the only boards required FOR now for those trained in a three year general Cardiovascular Diseases fellowship. IN the future, it is strongly suggested that insurances and other third party payers will start asking for board certification in Nuclear Cardiology (Certifying Board of Nuclear Cardiology) to get reimbursement. Only 30% of those interpreting nuclear cardiology studies are board certified. I would suggest these 2 board exams at a minimum. Now, if you really want to be "credentialed", you could get additionally certified in the following. None of the boards below are "required" yet. However, I know of some hospital systems that are starting to exclude others based on "certification" (this is happening with CT angio). I don't think that being board certified makes one a better physician over another, but insurances and hospital credentialing commitees, etc.. are using these types of boards to exclude or include groups. This gets more concerning for those in private practice competing against the ever growing number of hospital network employeed physicians who are arbitrarily appointed as dept chiefs or section chiefs who can create these obstacles easily, all in the name of "better patient safety". Just food for thought.

American Board of Vascular Medicine (ABVM)- for those who practice vascular medicine (non-surgical) in their cardiology practice. This would also include reading carotid studies and Doppler hemodynamic peripheral studies.

Certifying Board of Cardiac Computed Tomography (CBCCT)- for those reading Coronary CT angios who want to be designated as "board certified".

National Board of Echocardiography (NBE) - for those wishing to demonstrate the highest level of echocardiography skill and scholarship. This is arguably the hardest Cardiology "board" exam.

American Board of Clinical Lipidology (ABCL) - for those who want to demonstrate superior credentials and scholarship in lipid disorder management.

Registered Vascular Physician Interpretation exam (RVPI)- For those who read carotid Doppler, Peripheral venous and arterial studies. This is a relatively new board exam. The majority of MD's sitting for this board are vascualr surgeons, but a properly trained Cardiologist could sit for these boards.

American Society of Hypertension (ASH)- specialty board exam to demonstrate "specialty" scholarship in treatment of Hypertension.

I would guess that all of the above exams, except maybe the Hypertension exam would be nationally recognized certifications and be a nice addition to anyone's CV and training. The only reason that I even know about all of these exams is that a former CV fellow colleague of mine just completed board certification in all of the above. He is the ultimate academician. He has more initials after his name than a chinese alphabet--> FACC, FACP, FASE, FASNC, FAHA, FABVM, FCCP. Thats going to be alot of yearly dues to maintain those credentials..:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Heart Failure boards are also coming, as now Heart Failure has stupidly been identified as a separate specialty by the ABIM.

Argh.
It NEVER ends.
When I was a premed, my MCAT tutor (a med student) made the remark that every time you take a standardized test, people try to tell you it's the most important test you'll take in your life, but it's never really true b/c there is always another one coming down the pike.

Heart Failure boards are also coming, as now Heart Failure has stupidly been identified as a separate specialty by the ABIM.
Funny quote!

Respectfully, a lot has transpired with LVAD ECMO Transplant to make AHF a true need for board certification. We also are taking over much of the cardiology critical care work.

Or, at least it makes my job justifiable!!