Career change advice... MSW vs MFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What a wonderful forum. I've looked around and seen some information that is definitely helpful, but was looking for info that is specific to my situation.

Since college I have been living and working in L.A. in the entertainment industry (I'm a writer but not always a working writer) While I've been fortunate to have some success, I'm now approaching my later 30s (37) and exhausted by the complete instability of my field (and the shrinking prospects for TV writers.) So I've been considering a career change.

I've gone to therapy for years and it's helped me a great deal and I like the idea of helping others a lot, and feel I have the right temperament for it. My goal would be to eventually have a private practice doing psychodynamic therapy (with perhaps some cognitive techniques thrown in.) I am not interested in working in a clinic or a school (although realize I would do so during my training to get those 3000 hours.)

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between MSW and MFT, in terms of pursuing a private therapy practice. I assume since I have a certain goal in mind, the classes in the MFT program would be more interesting to me since they deal more with counseling than those in the MSW program, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Also, in my idealized version of things, I would also have time to write in addition to seeing patients. I don't know if this is true. Is that a crazy notion?

I also don't know if one can make a living, be the main provider for a family, and own a house in L.A. being a therapist these days (with most people using insurance to pay.) I don't see much discussion of income on the forum, and maybe that's because it changes so much from place to place, or maybe its bad taste to ask, but I'd be curious on people's thoughts.

It seems there's many more women in the field than men. Does it help one to be male in terms of finding patients? Or even when applying to schools? Or not really?

And specifically to L.A., I've heard Antioch and Pepperdine are good schools for the MFT, while USC is great for MSW. And UCLA for the PsyD program (although not sure I see the point of pursuing that at this point.)
Have I heard correctly?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge UCLA doesn't have a PsyD program, their clinical degree is a PhD.

Along with the programs you've mentioned, you can look into Pepperdine for the PsyD, and UCLA, CSULA, and CSU Long Beach for the MSW (all of which would be cheaper options than USC). If your sole goal is to open a private practice and you plan to stay in California (important because an MFT license is harder to transfer between states and less known internationally), it doesn't really matter whether you get an MFT or MSW degree. LCSWs are preferred by managed care reimbursement, but with the MFT program you can get licensed more quickly. However as an MFT intern you usually have to volunteer your hours, while as an LCSW intern you're more likely to find paid work while getting your supervison and hours. If you go the MSW route I'd pick a school where you can focus in mental health rather than a generalist curriculum.

It is difficult to make a liveable income full-time these days as a private therapist. It can be done, but it takes a lot of time and energy to establish a clinetele, as well as working odd hours to accomadate them and dealing with the stress of insurance company billing or finding clients who can afford to see you without insurance. Then there's also the issue of benefits. What's become really common these days to to work part-time somewhere where the therapist can get steady income and benefits (such as a therapist at a hospital) and then have a practice part-time.

I don't know if being male will help you in private practice, but it will give you an advantage in getting into some schools and getting some jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you'll be back to check but wanted to chime in for a minute.

USC is a TOP nationwide MSW program... I can't speak to the quality of the MFT's you mentioned.

All I can add is that I feel like in the LA area, you will have an easier time becoming an effective (and well paid/sustained income) practitioner than in other areas of the country.

If private practice is your absolute only desire, I'd recommend you lean toward the MFT's... you are absolutely correct in your guess that the training is more focused on the counseling. One of my greatest criticisms of my MSW program is that if not for my internship, I wouldn't have known anything!!

The MFT curriculum goes in depth in the family systems theory. You will take an entire class on an issue... like sexual dysfunction or adultry or domestic violence. Larger MSW programs might say they offer those electives... but those are contingent upon 1. having professors willing to teach that section and 2. having enough people to fill up the section. I learned the hard way not to choose a program based on elective potential.

I LOVE the versatility of my MSW... but I don't know if I would recommend it for anyone solely interested in private practice. That's not saying it can't be done... lots of excellent clinicians are born out of MSW programs... I just think the training isn't as intense within academia... it's more in the field experience.... and not everyone gets a great placement.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: 1 user