About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Career Change...and Gpa

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by wannabeapharm, May 4, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. wannabeapharm

wannabeapharm Senior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was wondering if anyone out there has decided they wanted a career change into the healthcare field..but didnt have high gpa..perhaps less than 3.0

I am in this situation and I was wondering if I have a chance of getting into a healthcare progrma or even the industry..Im interested in therapy, nursing and pharmacy..they each req the same pre reqs mostly..but I havent decided which one I will choose..

Advice needed..for somone with a low gpa..and career transition

thanks
  2. MJB

MJB Senior Member Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I can tell you I have about a 3.0 (just above), but plan on raising it to get into Med by taking the rest of my pre-reqs.

Nursing, I would think you could get into...My wife recently went back, and while her original 3 BS degrees were all with honors, I'm pretty certain folks get into Nursing with 3.0...not totally sure though.

Are the pre-reqs for Nursing and Pharmacy really the same? I don't remember it that way.
  3. DrCara

DrCara Tenacious!

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Some Pharm schools require courses like calculus, physics, and more chemistry classes.

I guess it really depends on which nursing program you are entering (L.P.N. or R.N.), or which pharmacy program you are interested in (PharmD, M.S. Pharm, pharm tech, etc..)

:)
  4. jaylily

jaylily gilraen : wandering star

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm doing a career change with a less than stellar 3.2 gpa. (at least it's less than stellar by med school standards) So, like MJB I'm also aiming to raise my gpa by finishing my prereq's.

I'm sure you'd be fine getting into nursing, but I've always heard that pharmacy is pretty competitive.
  5. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In most parts of the country, getting into nursing school with a 3.0 is next to impossible.

But if you are determined to take classes to improve your GPA, I think you should consider every healthcare career option. :D
  6. NP??MD??

NP??MD?? Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member

If you don't have a 4.0 in your pre req's you have to sell yourself pretty hard with your other strong points.

I think you should move forward and raise your GPA as best you can. You have to try or you'll never know if you would have made it.
  7. Klafond

Klafond

Pre-Medical
    I have a 3.9 undergrad/2 4.0s for 2 master's degrees. I'm a non-grad in a post-bacc program; I've never had collegiate-level sciences (tested out of science for undergrad...15 years ago!). My science GPA is a 3.6 after 1 semester. Am I still in a good place with GPA? Will this show academic regression or will the time lapse between science classes in HS and now be considered? Will I have any leeway in the GPA/MCAT arena? Thanks for any feedback you may have.