Career change into medicine, is this possible with my background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have worked at a psychiatric hospital for 2 years as a clinical assistant, interned (unpaid) at an outpatient clinic for 9 months, have participated in 4 different research labs for approximately one year each (all of which were related to psychology). I have presented several publications and will have a published manuscript (in a psychology journal) where I am the first author soon.

Will any of my former experience carry over?
All of your face-to-face time with mental health patients will be viewed as clinical experience, whether for a job, volunteer, or as part of a class or degree requirement. Additionally, you'l need to gain experience working with medically ill people as well.

All your Research is relevant to a med school application. A Publication is terrific.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 cumulative undergraduate GPA, majored in psychology. I have only taken a few science courses. Failed chemistry first semester (and the lab), got a D in Organismal bio. I have no doubt I can get a 4.0 in the post-bac's.

I used my undergrads "forgiveness" policy to remove the F from my transcript, although I don't think that will matter.

4.0 GPA in my master's degree of professional counseling

You are correct that AMCAS will include the F when they calculate your application GPA, even though your college forgave it.

Unfortunately, for allopathic med schools, your graduate GPA won't help you in the application process. Undergrad GPA is the primary determinate of your "fitness" for med school, as it allows a comparison with all other candidates. JDUB is right, that a dim view would be taken of quitting your PhD. Those currently in a grad program are asked for a letter from their advisor which shows they are aware of your goals and confirms your completion date. Alternatively, if some years go by between your quit date and time of application, with your application reflecting dedication to exploring medicine as an option, you might get by. You'll still be asked for an explanation. You need to be convincing that you won't change your mind again.

There are a number of ways to redeem a low undergrad GPA:

You'll need to take at least year of full-time postbac prerequisite classes, getting mainly As to demonstrate to adcomms that you have what it takes to succeed in med school. This would, incidentally, raise your GPA to 3.4+ as a pleasant consequence.

An undergrad GPA of 3.4 is still well below the median for those accepted of 3.65, but if you're a great test taker, then an MCAT score of 33-34 could well get you accepted to an allopathic med school somewhere, maybe your state school if it's not too selective.

If you're more typical and get a 30+ MCAT score, you might consider an SMP (Special Masters Program) to compensate for the low uGPA and give you a better chance at med school admission if your GPA is at the top of your SMP class. One competes with med students in many of these classes, so it can be a gamble.

If test taking isn't your forte, then a final option would be to consider DO med schools, where an MCAT score of 27-28+ might get you in the door, espcially with good grad school grades, as some DO schools take them into consideration.

Hello everyone,

I am in a Ph.D. program in psychology and I am thinking of switching over to medicine for a number of reasons (not financially related). I am questioning how realistic my chances are. Of course I have a lot of work to do and I plan on applying in 2 years, maybe 3, if I am not completely screwed that is. Here are my credentials:

3.3 cumulative undergraduate GPA, majored in psychology. I have only taken a few science courses. Failed chemistry first semester (and the lab), got a D in Organismal bio. I have no doubt I can get a 4.0 in the post-bac's. I took both chem and organismal bio freshman year and was going through a lot of personal stuff and wasn't at all dedicated to school as I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself. I barely studied for either class. I used my undergrads "forgiveness" policy to remove the F from my transcript, although I don't think that will matter.

4.0 GPA in my master's degree of professional counseling

I have worked at a psychiatric hospital for 2 years as a clinical assistant, interned (unpaid) at an outpatient clinic for 9 months, have participated in 4 different research labs for approximately one year each (all of which were related to psychology). I have presented several publications and will have a published manuscript (in a psychology journal) where I am the first author soon.

As it stands right now, I know I am not the most attractive candidate. I plan on pursuing atleast 2 years to getting volunteer experience, shadowing, etc. and doing well on the MCAT if I chose to do this path. I guess what I am asking is, am I completely screwed based on my past grades? Will any of my former experience carry over?

go for it
i think that with a ph.d in psychology you'd be considered relatively competent
so i'd recommend a post bacc after the ph.d program
and then score high on the mcat
apply to low tier medical schools
and DO schools