Career change- is this feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonmed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking into completely changing careers and studying physical therapy.
Background info about me: I just turned 26 and have a BA in Criminal Justice/Psychology with a 3.45 GPA.
I have not taken any of the pre-reqs courses (except for the Psych and sometimes English courses that are required) and living in Boston, I would like to apply to schools in the city and around the state. I would plan on taking most if not all of my pre-reqs at a community college (main reason being it's cheaper). But- am I in over my head? I know these schools get a ton of applicants and they're very competitive.
I have no real experience in the realm of physical therapy except for the times I've gone to see one because I've been injured-- I guess what I am asking is-- is it too late to do all of this?
Should I just go for a PTA career instead? :-\

Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

is it too late to do all of this?

Spend some time reading the discussions and threads on this board and you'll have the answer to your question.

Reactions: 1 users
No it's never too late. Try shadowing a few places and see if this is a career you would like to venture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say do your research on what the costs are and see if it balances out with how bad you wanna do it. It's stupid expensive right now. If it's a career where you think, "yea, that looks fulfilling and cool", then you don't have a good enough reason. Shadow some people first and if it's gonna kill you not to do it and you can't see yourself doing anything else, then go for it! I'm 27 and did my prereqs already but didn't get into any schools this cycle. I was a linguistics major so I had to do all of them. Not the end of the world but I'm looking forward to just working full time again. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Age is nothing but a number as long as you stay in shape and watch your diet ... I'm 29 and am about to start PT school... I believe I will be able to work into my 70's cuz I take care of my body

Most of the people who post regularly on this board are non-traditional PT students in one form or another.

Hey all,

I'm looking into completely changing careers and studying physical therapy.
Background info about me: I just turned 26 and have a BA in Criminal Justice/Psychology with a 3.45 GPA.
I have not taken any of the pre-reqs courses (except for the Psych and sometimes English courses that are required) and living in Boston, I would like to apply to schools in the city and around the state. I would plan on taking most if not all of my pre-reqs at a community college (main reason being it's cheaper). But- am I in over my head? I know these schools get a ton of applicants and they're very competitive.
I have no real experience in the realm of physical therapy except for the times I've gone to see one because I've been injured-- I guess what I am asking is-- is it too late to do all of this?
Should I just go for a PTA career instead? :-\

Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you! :)
I'm 42 and I'm just starting PT school. I was a Police Officer so you are definitely not too old. There are tons of posts from nontraditional students on here. Search the threads and you'll find answers to just about any question you can think of.

Wow, thanks for all of your responses! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely call some PT places and ask if I can shadow.

I don't really want to post another novel, but feel free to PM me if you want to chat. I started taking my pre-reqs at 25/26. Currently 28 and starting a program this fall after my first round of apps.

I don't really want to post another novel, but feel free to PM me if you want to chat. I started taking my pre-reqs at 25/26. Currently 28 and starting a program this fall after my first round of apps.

Double this, I started prereqs at 27, and will be starting school right after I turn 29. I also didn't have a hard science background (Anthropology/Dance major).

PM'ed you! :)

Double this, I started prereqs at 27, and will be starting school right after I turn 29. I also didn't have a hard science background (Anthropology/Dance major).
Such an interesting background! Mind if I PM you?

I'm 30 and starting PT school this Fall.... changed careers at 25 from law school and did prerequisites for 4 years while working full time.