Career changer. Former pharmacy assistant. LOR from MD not pharmacist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stablecarbocation

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for advice here. I worked part time as a pharmacy assistant ("technician-B") during undergrad. I have an M.S. degree and have been employed full time in the medical laboratory science/diagnostics field since 2010. I was in undergraduate college from 2004-2008.

I plan to apply to pharmacy school for 2016 admission. I am thinking about people who can write me good LORs. Currently I have in mind two professors from my graduate/MS studies and one MD I work with and completed published clinical research with (elective). I mentioned it to them and they have essentially agreed this early.

I have lost touch with the two pharmacists I work with. They are on the other side of the country and I believe my current employment is very important: delegation, diagnosis, very independent role, etc?

So, what do you think about my situation? I lost contact with the pharmacists after I graduated college.

I will explain in my appl

No. I am not interested in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Looking for advice here. I worked part time as a pharmacy assistant ("technician-B") during undergrad. I have an M.S. degree and have been employed full time in the medical laboratory science/diagnostics field since 2010. I was in undergraduate college from 2004-2008.

I plan to apply to pharmacy school for 2016 admission. I am thinking about people who can write me good LORs. Currently I have in mind two professors from my graduate/MS studies and one MD I work with and completed published clinical research with (elective). I mentioned it to them and they have essentially agreed this early.

I have lost touch with the two pharmacists I work with. They are on the other side of the country and I believe my current employment is very important: delegation, diagnosis, very independent role, etc?

So, what do you think about my situation? I lost contact with the pharmacists after I graduated college.

I will explain in my appl

No. I am not interested in medical school.

As long as the school doesn't explicitly require pharmacist letter (and if they do, contact their office of admissions and explain you are a non traditional student and get an exception) you should be just fine, especially if your letter writer can speak to skills like you mentioned (decision making, delegating, people skills, work ethic etc)

I think your background will put you in a great spot not only for the application but also for looking for a pharmacist job later.

Good luck!

I forgot I will have a fourth letter (PharmCAS limit).The fourth will be from a "lead technologist" (same type of technologist as me).

I suppose if asked why I don't have any letter from pharmacists I will say I lost touch with them in 2008 and emphasize how my currently employment is much more involved with greater responsibilities, etc.

I will reflect upon my experience as a pharmacy assistant.

And if they really wanted to there are ways to verify employment.

Perhaps if I was applying right out of undergrad/during undergrad without those pharmacist LORs it would be a different story.

I hope it works.

I highly doubt they are going to nitpick at your recommendation letters which are quite good.